The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
This thread is kinda far along but thought I'd just jump in. Didn't realise that applying for TCs is such a pain - just familiarised myself with the process sometime this week.

I'm an Australian grad hoping to (eventually) practice in the UK. I'm sitting on a predicted 2:2 and due to grad in July this year. The thing is, from what I understand, a 2:2 at my uni is somewhat equivalent to a top30 or 40% qualification. I'm still deciding whether to go ahead and start stressing over applying for TCs in the UK (and do my LPC and all that) or to simply get called in Australia and work a year or so before doing the QTLS assessments. From what I hear and read the possibility of me getting a TC is next to nil considering that I'm not (a.) a UK citizen, (b.) possess a UK degree or (c.) have fantastical amazing results that firms would clamour to hire me.

Any clues?
You're right.
Reply 362
Start in Australia where they are more sympathetic to your degree classification. I'm sure UK firms with experience of Australia are aware of the difference between our respective 2.1.'s, but it won't help you. Sorry!
Hey everyone,

A bit of an early question at this stage since I'm only in second year but a few of the firms that I wanted to apply to for VS this year had dates that I simply couldn't make for their entire duration. I was wondering if there were any firms that have emphasised how much they recruit from the VS? Like Freshfields specifically say on their website it doesn't really matter but Links seems to recruit the majority from their vac scheme.
Most firms recruit heavily from their vac scheme. Why wouldn't they?

Grad recruiters are fairly conservative by nature, and would rather take someone who they had observed over the course of two weeks or so (who could do the job) than someone they had met for just an hour or do (who claimed they could do the job).

I would strongly advise that you get on some vac schemes.

Also, if you're a law student, second year is not early at all. It is the normal time to apply (or have a first attempt at applying).
Reply 365
So, anyone else interviewing this coming week? I have linklaters, Herbert smith and a&o...starting to get 'the fear'!!
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Most firms recruit heavily from their vac scheme. Why wouldn't they?

Grad recruiters are fairly conservative by nature, and would rather take someone who they had observed over the course of two weeks or so (who could do the job) than someone they had met for just an hour or do (who claimed they could do the job).

I would strongly advise that you get on some vac schemes.

Also, if you're a law student, second year is not early at all. It is the normal time to apply (or have a first attempt at applying).

Yeah I know I realise that and I already have 2 vac schemes lined up, I was just wondering about other firms that the times I couldn't do because of timing issues but would loved to have applied to. There are some firms that simply don't do open days for second year law students.
Reply 367
Anyone heard back from linklaters post-interview? Reeeally sucked at that e-tray malarky!
Waiting for firms to reply is driving me mad... It's like UCAS applications all over again.
Reply 369
Original post by scribble_girl
Waiting for firms to reply is driving me mad... It's like UCAS applications all over again.

I share your pain! Heard back from one now but still largely in the dark. Shouldn't be too long now though so hang in there!
Reply 370
Original post by scribble_girl

Likewise. Been waiting almost three months for a couple of firms :frown: think i picked all the ones without rolling recruitment first somehow...
Original post by stefwad75
I share your pain! Heard back from one now but still largely in the dark. Shouldn't be too long now though so hang in there!

Original post by avocat
Likewise. Been waiting almost three months for a couple of firms :frown: think i picked all the ones without rolling recruitment first somehow...

Yep... I've been carefully reading and re-reading the application receipts from each firm and whilst a couple say 'We will contact you in due course' the majority say 'after the deadline'. Think I'm in for a bit of a wait...
Reply 372
Just received a rejection from Withers :frown: *sigh
Just received a rejection from Withers :frown: *sigh

Oooh really? Sorry to hear that. When did you apply? I put mine in on 3 January...
Reply 374
I think I submitted mine at a similar time...some time early January anyway. Someone else on TSR said they received an email yesterday saying that their application was being considered. They thought that this was just an automated response but I didn't receive that so if you get that email it may be a positive sign.

Good luck with your app anyway
I think I submitted mine at a similar time...some time early January anyway. Someone else on TSR said they received an email yesterday saying that their application was being considered. They thought that this was just an automated response but I didn't receive that so if you get that email it may be a positive sign.

Good luck with your app anyway

I've had nothing at all - oh well. I can't be doing with too much of this overanalysis. It might be fun now, but by the time we hit August I'll have gone mad. Much better just to check my email obsessively for the next 8 months wait and see :wink:
has anybody heard from Russell Jones and Walker? Wondering what's going to happen to apps now they've merged with an Aussie firm.
Reply 377
Hi

I'm a final year LLB student. Just wanted views on whether i should apply for training contracts before or after i get my results in June/July?
Reply 378
Original post by buddie
Hi

I'm a final year LLB student. Just wanted views on whether i should apply for training contracts before or after i get my results in June/July?

Certainly before.

What types of firms are you looking to apply to? Most commercial firms recruit two years in advance so are you going to take a gap between your graduation and commencing the LPC?

I wouldn't let applications affect your preparation for your final year exams, your results are a lot more important.

You can use predicted grades based on your performance so far for your applications. :smile:
Reply 379
I am planning to apply to mainly silver circle firms.
Suppose I were to get a vac scheme (hopefully:colondollar:), will it not be better to wait untill after I have completed the scheme. In order to impress firms?

I plan to take a gap year in any case, would love to do some travelling. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending