The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by midlandsman
Never heard anyone else say that before actually. Reassuring I guess. :smile: It peeves me no end when you hear people saying stuff like 'do vac schemes at a range of firms so you know which type of firm is for you.'

From reading that sort of advice you'd think you can just stroll into Clifford Chance, Irwin Mitchell, Withers, Burges Salmon and the local PI practice with a bunch of coffee stained CVs - and then get handed work experience on a plate. I've found it hard enough to get an interview for a vac scheme at any random firm, let alone pick and choose where I'd ideally like to try out!

Luckily I do seem to get more luck with training contract applications - it's just the assessment days that are the sticking point. I'd really like to hear from anyone who knows how to crack the damn things! :cool:

Haha I know exactly what you mean. I do sort of do a double take and thing 'huhh??' when you hear solicitors/graduate recruitment/future joiners telling you this at events. It was definitely the case 10-15 years ago that you could do a range of vacation schemes and the purpose of the schemes would definitely be more for you to have a 'choice' but the market is ridiculously saturated and competitive now that to get to the interview stage is, in my eyes, impressive.
Reply 781
Original post by suffocation1992
I've decided to keep some of the questions the same, albeit with minor tweaks. E.g. instead of saying 'In March' I now have to change it to 'In March 2011' to reflect the passage of time. I looked at my old B&M VS application and cringed a lot - it's terribly obsequious. Going to have to change it, but it means researching what they have been up to recently. I have found a few Firms (e.g. HS) that have fairly short application forms (but a lot of psychometric tests) so that should be okay. Otherwise I am praying the interview I had during my vac scheme went well as I'd love to work there.

Which other firms have short applications? Last minute apps!
Original post by J77

I think HS is quite short? I was able to copy and paste from previous applications a lot for Freshfields too.

One of the WORST applications is for Taylor Wessing, there are so many questions!
Haha I know exactly what you mean. I do sort of do a double take and thing 'huhh??' when you hear solicitors/graduate recruitment/future joiners telling you this at events. It was definitely the case 10-15 years ago that you could do a range of vacation schemes and the purpose of the schemes would definitely be more for you to have a 'choice' but the market is ridiculously saturated and competitive now that to get to the interview stage is, in my eyes, impressive.

Ha, the other one that gets me is the Lex 100 where they ask trainees 'why did you choose this firm over any others?'

LOL. If they think the average trainee 'chose' which firm to go to out of numerous options, they're living in a dreamworld. I'm hardly alone in saying that I'd take almost any training contract on the table, even if it consisted entirely of making coffee and photocopying until 11pm every night.

Original post by J77

I remember a few short ones from last year that I won't be reapplying to. Knock yourself out:

Eversheds (None of the usual questions. Mostly aptitude tests.)
Withers (Questions only 60 words long)
Ashurst (Short but possibly not worth applying if you aren't an Oxbridge type)
Travers Smith (Basically a cover letter)

Also, Slaughters is just a cover letter + CV.

Anyone aware of any others?
I don't know if anyone is interested but Olswang retains 64% of its September qualifiers. http://www.thelawyer.com/olswang-retains-64-per-cent-of-september-qualifiers/1013547.article
Reply 785
Ashurst (Short but possibly not worth applying if you aren't an Oxbridge type)

What makes you think that?!
Original post by Brevity
What makes you think that?!

I could well be wrong. :tongue: That's just the impression I've had so far...
Reply 787

LOL. If they think the average trainee 'chose' which firm to go to out of numerous options, they're living in a dreamworld. I'm hardly alone in saying that I'd take almost any training contract on the table, even if it consisted entirely of making coffee and photocopying until 11pm every night.

I dunno, a lot of the people I know who got TCs in the last cycle got multiple offers. Sure, there are people who get one offer only--but I think there are a good number who, if they get any, get more than one.
Original post by jjarvis
I dunno, a lot of the people I know who got TCs in the last cycle got multiple offers. Sure, there are people who get one offer only--but I think there are a good number who, if they get any, get more than one.

Don't get me wrong. I realise that multiple offers aren't uncommon. I just mean that very few people can flick through the Chambers Student Guide, choose their absolute favourite firm and think 'right, that's where I'm going.' If anyone has ever applied to one firm only and got a training contract there, I wholeheartedly applaud them!
As for the SRA Voluntary Code, I have a question...
Chambers Student Guide
At an interview, you will be told if there is a further stage to the selection process. You should also be told within two weeks of reaching the end of the process whether or not you have been successful.

If you did a vac scheme and interviewed for a TC during the vac scheme, would the Firm in question normally tell you if you have been unsuccessful after the scheme, or would they still wait until September to dish out bad news?
Reply 790
As for the SRA Voluntary Code, I have a question...

If you did a vac scheme and interviewed for a TC during the vac scheme, would the Firm in question normally tell you if you have been unsuccessful after the scheme, or would they still wait until September to dish out bad news?

The firm I was at last year emailed me to let me know - they wont let you wait until september to know you've been unsuccessful
Reply 791
Don't get me wrong. I realise that multiple offers aren't uncommon. I just mean that very few people can flick through the Chambers Student Guide, choose their absolute favourite firm and think 'right, that's where I'm going.' If anyone has ever applied to one firm only and got a training contract there, I wholeheartedly applaud them!

I meant people who applied to multiple places, but only get one offer! I don't know anyone who only applied to one firm.
This is a really silly question and I'm only asking to give myself a break from the whole application process but I'm currently completing an application that asks you to list your academic/other awards and prizes.

I've listed all my awards but I've just remembered that I was given a cash bonus years ago for achieving an outstanding grade during a KFC mystery shopper assessment. Now under normal circumstances I wouldn't think of including this but what do you think?
Original post by Rosey2
The firm I was at last year emailed me to let me know - they wont let you wait until september to know you've been unsuccessful

Really? Which firm was it (you can PM me if you would prefer)? The Firm I was at, and credit to them, stick by the Voluntary Code firmly, and this was reiterated during the scheme that offers will not be made until then, so maybe it works both ways - they just won't say anything at all (offers or rejections) until September 1st? But I haven't heard anything from them for almost a month now so you never know, but in all likelihood it means nothing.
Original post by sleekchic
This is a really silly question and I'm only asking to give myself a break from the whole application process but I'm currently completing an application that asks you to list your academic/other awards and prizes.

I've listed all my awards but I've just remembered that I was given a cash bonus years ago for achieving an outstanding grade during a KFC mystery shopper assessment. Now under normal circumstances I wouldn't think of including this but what do you think?

Others will say not to include it - my own opinion is to definitely put it in there. At the interviews I had for a VS, I got asked a lot about my employment experience. I think they like to see you have functioned in the real world before, and mystery shopping is quite cool and eye catching, wouldn't you say? Don't undersell yourself :smile:
Original post by jjarvis
I meant people who applied to multiple places, but only get one offer! I don't know anyone who only applied to one firm.

Eh? All I'm saying is that most people can't exactly choose the one firm they want to go to 'over any others' - as Lex would have you believe. I'm sure most candidates who get multiple offers have also picked up a fair few rejections along the way. But hey, what do I know? Maybe some people really are that good.
Reply 796
Really? Which firm was it (you can PM me if you would prefer)? The Firm I was at, and credit to them, stick by the Voluntary Code firmly, and this was reiterated during the scheme that offers will not be made until then, so maybe it works both ways - they just won't say anything at all (offers or rejections) until September 1st? But I haven't heard anything from them for almost a month now so you never know, but in all likelihood it means nothing.

well that said, where I was at before september 1st (if you were in 2nd year) you would get a phone call where you'd have a conversation along the lines of "it was very nice to meet you" blah blah which is used as a wink and a nudge if you were going to get an offer and an email if not - by the sounds of it they're sticking to things quite stringently where you were, was it MC? Because I've heard they do that, while SC seems more relaxed
Others will say not to include it - my own opinion is to definitely put it in there. At the interviews I had for a VS, I got asked a lot about my employment experience. I think they like to see you have functioned in the real world before, and mystery shopping is quite cool and eye catching, wouldn't you say? Don't undersell yourself :smile:

That makes sense. Thanks
Reply 798
Original post by sleekchic
I don't know if anyone is interested but Olswang retains 64% of its September qualifiers. http://www.thelawyer.com/olswang-retains-64-per-cent-of-september-qualifiers/1013547.article

Having also taken no trainees last year, and apparently half this year.

Too trendy, too far and too fast.
Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending