The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Anyone approached Slaughters for feedback following interview (this cycle or previous cycles)? Any idea how long they take to provide it?
Original post by midlandsman
I'd get on the phone to the firm offering an interview and tell them about the clash. I'm sure they'll understand. They can't realistically expect you to bail on a vac scheme for the sake of one interview. With a bit of luck you'll be able to rearrange.

Thanks, sounds like the best option.
Original post by touchofclass
Good news: TC interview!
Bad news: Clashes with a vac scheme...

Anyone been in this situation? Know what to do? Seems hard to avoid annoying one of the parties involved, particularly the vac scheme where they're actually paying me to be there

I really wouldn't worry about the clash. I was on a vac scheme last year and at the start of the scheme they told us that we all had 3 days holiday which we could use to attend other interviews. They even allowed me to have a telephone interview in one of their conference rooms in the middle of the day.

Firms expect that you will have other interviews/vac schemes lined up, especially at this time of year, and some firms would even view it as a negative if you didn't...it shows that other firms are interested in you too and that there is likely to be a good reason for that.

Good luck for both!
Reply 1183
Original post by touchofclass
Within about 2 days. However, my friend never heard back at all! Despite e-mailing and phoning several times.

(this is for the vac scheme btw)

I'm a bit worried about this, I had my TC phone interview at the end of June, still heard nothing. Can't decide if it is a long drawn out rejection or if I'm on a maybe waiting to see how everyone else does?!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Speckled Hen
I really wouldn't worry about the clash. I was on a vac scheme last year and at the start of the scheme they told us that we all had 3 days holiday which we could use to attend other interviews. They even allowed me to have a telephone interview in one of their conference rooms in the middle of the day.

Firms expect that you will have other interviews/vac schemes lined up, especially at this time of year, and some firms would even view it as a negative if you didn't...it shows that other firms are interested in you too and that there is likely to be a good reason for that.

Good luck for both!

Cheers, very helpful. I think I might ask if the interview can be moved anyway (in an enquiring/it's not the end of the world sort of way), as it'd be good for my stress levels not to have to do an interview in the middle of a vac scheme.
But it's good to know that if they say no I should be able to work it out with the vac scheme firm.

And thanks for making my little dilemma your first post, honoured :tongue:
Reply 1185
Original post by DavidHiggs
hmm very strange indeed, what uni did you study at if you dont mind me asking?

Why are you OBSESSED with where people went to university?!?

p.s I know it's because you went to Bedfordshire - but really :confused:
Original post by Rosey2
Why are you OBSESSED with where people went to university?!?

p.s I know it's because you went to Bedfordshire - but really :confused:

What university do you attend?
Reply 1187
Original post by Smashedin
What university do you attend?

Hahaha you haven't asked before so I will oblige! I did attend Newcastle! :tongue:
Reply 1188
I think some firms do take university strongly into account. At an assessment day for VS at a US firm, only 2 out of 20 people were non-Oxbridge. At the VS only one person was non Oxbridge.
Original post by xobile
I think some firms do take university strongly into account. At an assessment day for VS at a US firm, only 2 out of 20 people were non-Oxbridge. At the VS only one person was non Oxbridge.

To be fair, Oxbridge do some pretty significant vetting, making their candidates relatively safe bets.
Reply 1190
Here's my take on it - the early PFOs are bad news. Any PFO I get in early August (or before) I'm taking as "don't bother trying again". I have been PFO'd by BLP, SNRD, Withers, Rosenblatt and a couple of others since Dec/Jan - to me this says that there was no possibility of interview. Presumably they think I'm a complete speedboat and it's not a matter of writing a better application.

Got an email from Charles Russell outlining the process and saying they had 1300+ applications.
Reply 1191
Original post by Clip
Here's my take on it - the early PFOs are bad news. Any PFO I get in early August (or before) I'm taking as "don't bother trying again". I have been PFO'd by BLP, SNRD, Withers, Rosenblatt and a couple of others since Dec/Jan - to me this says that there was no possibility of interview. Presumably they think I'm a complete speedboat and it's not a matter of writing a better application.

Sounds sensible in a way but don't be too hard on yourself even with respect to firms that do send early PFOs. I know it is a different context (slightly) but people one year my senior at college have TCs from firms which instantly rejected them for vac schemes. I know coz this one girl got all her rejections in a week, and she applied really early! So she had the same thought - no chance these people want me. Now she has a TC from one of those firms and I'm pretty sure she got multiple offers.

So point of the story: may as well send another application, worst will be another PFO but for the time that it takes to tweak to resend an app, probably worth the shot (IMO).
Original post by I so academic
Freshfields interview
Shearman and Sterling interview

A&O PFO

Still waiting on 10 plus vac scheme interviews.

Congrats on FF and Shearman and Sterling! Just curious, when did you submit your application? Im still waiting on Freshfields but I know people have been hearing back alr...
Freshfields I submitted and did the test about two weeks ago. Best of luck :smile:

I see. thanks! Best of luck to your two interviews! :smile:
Reply 1194
anybody heard from the GLS yet?
Reply 1195
Freshfields I submitted and did the test about two weeks ago. Best of luck :smile:

thanks for sharing and all the best. if you dont mind me asking, is the FF interview taking place in August or Sept?
Original post by xobile

US firms will recruit very heavily from Oxbridge because they simply don't have the resources to sift through thousands of applications (usually it'll be just one, maybe two, people in HR).
Reply 1197
ATM there are only options for August, but I'm on a VS in August, so I'm going to wait for new slots to come available and then do it in September.

thx.
Reply 1198
PFO from Cleary through the post anyhow!
Reply 1199
Original post by bowen22
PFO from Cleary through the post anyhow!

Cleary's is possibly the classiest PFO I have seen- letter in the post; fancy paper; and signed by hand. haha
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending