The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cinnamon
At my recall audition we were told we were picked for our acting skills even though I put down dancer on my application!

and yes there were lots of acting and standing still striking a pose!
Not sure what they were looking for, noone I spoke to didnt know either!
I just hope I get picked for something whatever it is, although the dance audition looked fab, wish I could have been on that one!

I had an email asking me to ask people to audition in the next round and I am a woman!

I did a recall dance audition (fortunately what I wanted) but quite a few people there were non-dancers who had put other skills on their application, didn't particularly want to be in a dance audition - and to be honest from their dancing you could see they were non-dancers. So very odd. Though on the plus side if you were acting you might be in the opening ceremony - that tends to be more 'arty'.
I've applied several times to do olympic auditions as i'm a man with rhythm but i've had no reply to all of my applications. does that mean its a no and i should keep applying or do i find out after the closing date of applications if i got an audition?
For the first tranche of auditions, we applied and then waited till after the closing date to hear whether or not we had got an audition (they said that if they had more than 15,000 applications then they would pick names out of a lottery). Once we heard that we had got through to the audition stage (which I presume everyone did that time, as there were less than 15,000 auditioning), we then picked a convenient audition time from a list, and filled in a more detailed questionnaire about our particular skills.
Original post by boreilly27
I've applied several times to do olympic auditions as i'm a man with rhythm but i've had no reply to all of my applications. does that mean its a no and i should keep applying or do i find out after the closing date of applications if i got an audition?

I still hadn't got an email inviting me to audition by the date they said I would, so I phoned up to check it was on its way - turns out they were just late. There's a phone number on the London 2012 website and also one on these boards somewhere if you want to check you've not got 'lost' in their system. Even if it was a 'no' - which I doubt, since they're so short of men - I'm sure you'd get some sort of reply. In the FAQs bit of the website it says "If you do not have online access, need a paper form or need general assistance please call 0845 267 2012.", so you could try that number, I think it's the one I used.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFHcOw9INj4&feature=share

I know this is irrelevant and all but I would like to hear the rest of the volunteers on your opinions on this vid?

It has been posted up frequently on Facebook and been posted up on several blogs. I find most theory videos to be stupid but this one does slightly give me the chills none the less due to the fact that I wish to be taking part in the ceremonies. Your thoughts?
Re the video - complete nonsense of course! Dan Brown has made a fortune from this fiction. Entertaining though!

Meanwhile we wait to hear if we are successful or not. It is going to be January at least before we hear anything. So we wait and wait and wait..........................
Reply 326
The second round of auditions are in February!
My sister applied after the request went out for more people to audition, and has an audition in February.
Wish I knew if I am in or not !
Oh this wait is never ending!
Yes annoyed about this. Had I known I would not have applied in August, auditioned in November and heard nothing. I would have applied in Jan, auditioned in Feb and been told - 2 months done! They clearly did not have enough people apply initially for what they have in mind and we may not get told until after the auditions in Feb - they may want to see everyone first before deciding who does what.
Reply 328
I don't know why you're all getting so stressed about not hearing anything. If you've been through the initial and recall auditions like me, you know it's not an exact science. The fact that they've had to reopen auditions has obviously moved things around a bit. I went for two recalls, four weeks apart. At the end of both sessions, they said we'd hear in 6 to 8 weeks. I'm going to enjoy Xmas and not worry about the Olympics until they kindly email me again, whenever that will be! Happy Xmas to you all, and good luck!
Reply 329
You had two recalls? Actually they did say at mine they may get it wrong and shuffle people around til they gat something that suits them. To me that implied that most people will be offered something. Had my recall on Nov 15th- seven weeks ago and told 6-8 weeks...but only got the email asking for new male volunteers a couple of weeks back which said we'd find out in 6-8 weeks again! Would be good to find out either way as I'm planning to move out of London- by Spring if I don't get through, in Sept if I do.

Also noticed start of rehearsal has been put back to April- not March as it was before..

Anyway Happy New Year and best of luck everyone!
Reply 330
Original post by emjay1970
You had two recalls? Actually they did say at mine they may get it wrong and shuffle people around til they gat something that suits them. To me that implied that most people will be offered something. Had my recall on Nov 15th- seven weeks ago and told 6-8 weeks...but only got the email asking for new male volunteers a couple of weeks back which said we'd find out in 6-8 weeks again! Would be good to find out either way as I'm planning to move out of London- by Spring if I don't get through, in Sept if I do.

Also noticed start of rehearsal has been put back to April- not March as it was before..

Anyway Happy New Year and best of luck everyone!

Thanks for this information about being shuffled around. Interesting, lets hope we all get a role doing something.
The wait is never ending, hopefully we will hear soon.
Happy new year everyone and good luck to us all!
Has anyone heard back yet? or when in january do u guys think we may find out? x
Original post by happyending
Has anyone heard back yet? or when in january do u guys think we may find out? x

Nothing back here. Keen to know the outcome whatever it is!
Reply 333
Original post by happyending

The email I got on 10th December, requesting more volunteers said we would hear in 6 to 8 weeks. So it could be February!
Reply 334
Rang the number. Keywords from short conversation: "backlog" and "soon"

Really need to know what's happening here....:confused:
Reply 335
Just had another email from them looking for men with rhythm but it also says they'll be telling us in a few days.

We hope you had a great holiday and we wish you all the best for the new year: 2012 has finally come! We are sure it is going to be a great Olympic year.

In few days we will be emailing with the results of your auditions and we wish you the best of luck.

My second audition wasn't great - I'd give myself a C grade at best. It was hip-hop dancing and I've never seen myself as any kind of dancer. Having your brain try to process both the routine order and how to move your body in totally unfamiliar moves wasn't a recipe for success!

I was assuming that those successful would be offered spots first so that if any didn't take it up, it could be offered to the 'reserve' list and you'd only let the unsuccessful people know at the end when there was nothing left. But if they do aim to let us all know in the next few days, perhaps this isn't in the case - and there are a group so unsuitable, they can be ruled out immediately. Hmmm.... fingers crossed for all.
Just got the same email. We should know by the end of next week then!
Reply 337
Also got the same email. Fingers crossed everyone....!

From what I remember the director said the acceptance letter would be pretty generic without a specific role...at least that's what I remember. He said it would have more specific dates of rehearsals so we could definitely make sure we could do it before committing....

Good luck everyone!
Reply 338
No extra emails for me yet....
Curiouser & Curioser (& exciting at the same time):-

We hope you had a great holiday and we wish you all the best for the new year: 2012 has finally come! We are sure it is going to be a great Olympic year.

In few days we will be emailing with the results of your auditions and we wish you the best of luck.

HAVE NOT SEEN AN E-MAIL LIKE THIS OR ANY OTHER E-MAIL FROM CEREMONIES TEAM FOR THAT MATTER EITHER (despite checking my Inbox and Spam folder diligently since my 2nd audition on 20-11-2011, as auspicious date if ever there was one I think.

Did, however, read a news article the other day reporting that Danny Boyle was looking at CGI systems used previously in film to avoid using so many people in the mass choreography sections which, as you might imagine, also piqued my curiousity as to (a) what they want us that auditioned to do (b) how many of us will get through all this selection process to actually perform live in the Olympic Stadium on the night or (c) is the best that some of us can hope for is to have our photographic image digitized in some way to only appear as part of a huge human graphic, for projection onto the screens around the Olympic Stadium & live sites maybe?

Oh I do wish they would get on with it and tell us sooner rather than later though. All this waiting is getting tiresome now, especially as I left my job due to redundancy today and need to know what commitment I need to give to the Olympics Volunteer Role when considering other (paid work) offers. I do need to work between now and 27th July 2011 unfortunately, oh how I wish it were different though of course!

Latest