The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aspire_dance
Think I'm going to train it too most of the time anyway - at least I can just kick back at relax on the train home!

Like you, I'm not sure what to do on the night of the ceremonies - have no idea what time we will get out of the stadium and if there will still be trains running!

First rehearsal one week tomorrow and still no update email!

All quiet here too although I am resisting extremely hard NOT to call Casting :please: (got them on speedial on my mobile). On a good day :biggrin: you're about 20 minutes :f1: drive away from where I'm based.

Original post by MsIs
I got my update email Friday and first rehearsal is this week. You will hear, I'm sure. If not, as someone has already posted, they have your acceptance and you already know the date, time and place of your first rehearsal - just turn up.

That "someone" was me :cool: and I only mentioned as seeing it down typed on screen was a reminder for me NOT to contact Casting as I'm sure they've got millions of emails to send out and I didn't want to appear a pain in the "ho ho" and risk my place.

Original post by commonliner
I. Want. To. Rehearse. NOW!

It's like waiting for Christmas again. 40 days until mine start.

Quite normal to think this as it seems an age but I know it's hard for it's best to chill and enjoy "your resting period" as much as possible because as soon as your Segment starts rehearsals, it will probably be one of the most exhausting (yet exciting) part of the process. :dancing2:
Original post by AnotherDude
Hey Everyone,

Can anyone comment (who has had the first orientation) if the ACTUAL training schedule they were originally emailed, was the same as what they were allocated when they had the first orientation?

Or if there in fact less training days in reality?

I just totted up the 'training hours' for the first 16 sessions (the last 5 don't yet have hours) and it comes to 91 and half hours! Which seems like a helluva lot of hours if the 44-FOPPERS are just "litter monkeys" :-)

Are there any female 44-FOPs? Seems to be all men as far as I can see?

Official spreadsheet keeper can you check?

Perhaps 44-FOPS are all bodyguards! (Or doing the YMCA as a dance sequence!)

AnotherDude

No all the FOPPers are male ..so far I have this image of you all being beefy hunky types am I correct??? :troll: Regarding the rehearsals I gather that the 47 group have one fewer rehearsal than they we originally told but otherwise much the same with the TBA times also filled in. Hope your dad hears soon! How proud the family would be! Many congrats and welcome to the happy band of 44ers and see you at rehearsals. If you are very good I will let you carry my water bottle for me:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Ooh I'm not there tomorrow tinydancersmum, my fitting is next wednesday 25th!

But yes I am very intrigued about what we're going to do and can't wait.

And thanks for the clarification to the non-ballet dancers. The number of shoes that I have had to buy, wear once, only to find that they don't actually work for my feet and had to put away, is in a big bin liner in the bottom of my wardrobe. I just couldn't throw them away -- they range from £30 to £50 per pair, plus being hopeless with sewing, hours of blood sweat and tears of sewing ribbons and elastics onto the shoes.....

Because the shoes have to fit really snug, if any one measurement is out, it could cause anything minor (blisters) to major (bone misalignment, joint problems etc).
For those who are interested, the first picture in this link: http://r-class.biz/fitting.php shows all the areas where the measurements can be customised.

Some shoe companies will provide complete customisation to shoes for dancers in professional companies.
Reply 6123
AnotherDude

Interesting thoughts on "Team FOP", along mine really. Given my dancing skills and general good looks, I was always pretty convinced that I wouldn't be in the first row. I don't mind, but it is an awful lot of rehearsals just for carrying a donkey head.

My recall audition was during the week, at which point I gave up (because I assumed the rehearsals would be scheduled like that as well), only to then get another invite, and yet another, which I finally attended and made. All men at that stage - so it either involves heavy lifting or some kind of gender balance they didn't quite make the first (or second) time around.

Litterpickerupper. Cool!
Reply 6124
I know it's been posted before (several times) but could someone put up the phone number for casting - I want to chase them for the rehearsal schedule for 44FOP, as it wasn't attached to my email
Original post by rocks99
I know it's been posted before (several times) but could someone put up the phone number for casting - I want to chase them for the rehearsal schedule for 44FOP, as it wasn't attached to my email

Scrolls down contacts on mobile..........

Here we go......

020 1240 2040
Reply 6126
I suspect for FOP-ers are shifting the big props on the field of play - such as if the person lighting the flame or something has to run up a big ramp to get there, it would need people intermingled with the other performers who can get it in place.

Or potentially carrying the ballerinas across the FOP ;-) considering there were no male ballerinas to our knowledge!

R

PS Mandy - 2 days to go :-)
Reply 6127
Original post by Dancerwoman
Scrolls down contacts on mobile..........

Here we go......

020 1240 2040

Thanks - that seems to go straight through to an automated voicemail box... is that the typical result?
Reply 6128
Original post by Pinnerite
encouragement is being given for everybody to go by public transport to the 1:1 venue where possible although car parking places are less of an issue perhaps when we move to the stadium?(

Well, they would say that, wouldn't they, given the whole remit for sustainability. The planning application says the spaces will be "First offered to participants with mobility requirements ... Then to participants who can demonstrate that they are car pooling" - of of which sounds entirely reasonable.

Original post by Dancerwoman
Hmmm. I'm coming down from Bedfordshire but I'm based on the other branch of the First Capital Connect map. I think there was someone else in our section that's also in Hertfordshire somewhere - can't remember who though as it was quite a while back.

I'm coming down from Ware in Herts. 3 Mills was an easy drive, with easy parking. A bit torn about the 1:1 venue as the drive's rather a dog, but might be OK at weekends. That said, it'll be much cheaper to pay for the train down to Zone 6 (think it was only around £5 return) and then use Oyster - time will tell...

I suspect car sharing arrangements will start to happen when we meet our fellow performers and get to know each other :smile: I'm expecting some strong friendships to develop over the spring/summer!

And there we are, bothered about travelling from the home counties, when there are others from all over the country!
Original post by rocks99
Only problem is that my email does not appear to include the attachments promised, i.e. rehearsal schedule and performer agreement... does anyone else have that issue? I really need to know the rehearsal schedule before I can commit, so have emailed the segment co-ordinators to ask for it.

If you have access to webmail, then try there. I couldn't see my attachments on either iPhone or on normal mail application on computer but was able to download them from gmail directly
Reply 6130
Original post by AlecSp
I suspect car sharing arrangements will start to happen when we meet our fellow performers and get to know each other :smile: I'm expecting some strong friendships to develop over the spring/summer!

Aha, with a little bit of research you have now answered my unspoken question about the location of the 1:1 venue. Yep, seems, to be in rather an inaccessible place, but that's some pretty bright lateral thinking by the Ceremonies Team. Especially when considering the expense of hiring somewhere nearer the centre of town.

That also explains the tents I spotted when driving by yesterday, in what seemed an illogical location...

Regarding the lift sharing, in my several years' experience working at a large scale Christmas volunteering event, a network of 'lifts wanted' and 'lifts available' has evolved quickly - and that's between strangers. And you'll all be close friends pretty quickly, which will make things even easier!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by chinafish
I don't know if I've been added to the spreadsheet, but I auditioned 1st round on 2nd Nov. Instead of within 48 hours, I heard 3 weeks after that I was offered a 2nd round.

I had 2nd round on 1st Dec, then received my offer for Group 80B (closing) on 19th Jan, 7 weeks later. (Which was not bad going considering how long some others have been waiting for!)

I wonder how the pointe shoe fitting is going to work, as I am ordering my shoes from USA at the moment - they are my perfect shoe (but takes at least 2 months to arrive, I have experienced longer). I have a backup Capezio style that I could wear but they're not even available on back order yet.

I'm going for my costume fitting next week so hopefully something will work out for me!

Fish

Hay fish
I to am in 80B
How many points auditions were there ? me and tiny dancer mums DD
auditioned on the 22nd feb, thought that was the only one .

We have our poi te shoe fitting and costume measurements tomorrow (tuesday)

Are ur next week ?
Original post by Ropey1
I suspect for FOP-ers are shifting the big props on the field of play - such as if the person lighting the flame or something has to run up a big ramp to get there, it would need people intermingled with the other performers who can get it in place.

Or potentially carrying the ballerinas across the FOP ;-) considering there were no male ballerinas to our knowledge!

R

PS Mandy - 2 days to go :-)

I know, are you as stupidly excited as I am?! Got into work and had my email waiting, yipee!!

So TSR drunken night out after the opening ceremony guys? I doubt for those of us that live out of town that trains will be running, and we'll all be hyper. Def a cause for a few bottles of wine methinks!
Original post by tinydancersmum
Hello Fish!
Pointe shoes have to be so close fitting and suit the exact foot shape and strength of the individual dancer that there are multiple, widths, box shapes,shank strengths etc and most brands of shoe are still handmade.You don't dance in shoes that "nearly fit" as this can cause damage to the feet. Pointe shoes don't have a wooden block in the bottom they are more like canvas and glue papier mache with layers of cardboard and leather inside the sole (shank) of the shoe to give support. The average lifespan of a pointe shoe "in use" is 8 hours and the shoe becomes soft, breaks down and no longer gives enough support for the dancer to maintain the pointe position.

See you tomorrow Fish :smile:

Thanks tinydancersmum! For those who are interested follow this link: http://r-class.biz/fitting.php
The 1st picture in the link shows the areas that the shoes can be customised.

tinydancersmum my fitting is next wednesday 25th so unfortunately I won't meet you just yet!
Original post by Martelldance
Hay fish
I to am in 80B
How many points auditions were there ? me and tiny dancer mums DD
auditioned on the 22nd feb, thought that was the only one .

We have our poi te shoe fitting and costume measurements tomorrow (tuesday)

Are ur next week ?

Yes mine is next week 25th Wednesday!
Reply 6135
Hey there -
I just joined the site and am another person waiting for a response. I auditioned in February and had my call back at 10 am on Feb 19 (Sunday).

Was anyone else in that call back and still waiting?
I'm happy to be given a role as 44-FOP, a male as well. 3 weeks after my 2nd audition in Feb, I was identified as having abseiling and sailing skills. As mentioned FOP may stand for Field of Play and a utility role dealing with ropes or props on the stage.
Original post by chinafish
Yes mine is next week 25th Wednesday!

Oh right

Wonder how many will be there tomorrow then , guess I will find out soon enough
Original post by Mandy_Panda
that sounds epic. How do you find out about cool stuff like that?!

I seem to have an antenna for that, but in this particular case it was an email from my local community film club, which is supported by the Tate. They might run more such workshops, keep an eye on their events page.

Segment 44 Group FOP

It says it is this:

"This is an essential utility role which will deliver the key spectacular
sequence in the Olympic Ceremony. This is a role which is less performance
based but without which a very key moment will not happen."

Maybe 44 is the bell sequence, and you FOPs are Functional OPerators of the bell's clapper...

Original post by Mandy_Panda
So TSR drunken night out after the opening ceremony guys?

Good that the ceremony is on a Friday....
I got an email on Friday - Lucky Friday 13th!! I am going to be in the Paralympics Opening Ceremony, 87B. :smile: :smile: Anyone else in the same group??

Latest