The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6560
Original post by studiosonic
I've also had an email putting me on the reserve list this evening. I had a drumming recall in Feb. I have one word to sum it up...Meh.

Studiosonic, sorry to hear that you're on the Reserve list at this stage rather than having an immediate place in rehearsals - you and I audition around the same time and have been through the same ups and downs - but remember, it ain't over 'til it's over.
In agreement with Mandy_Panda and Geegrin.

In relation to whether Reserves drafted in later on and getting up to speed with the various choroes / movements, I'm sure that Casting will probably arrange extra dates specifically for the "late arrivals" in the rehearsal process.

As I mentioned before (and has been said many times by others here), Casting will not have any idea as to how many Reserves will be called up until when people start dropping out. Yes it is wrong from a Reserve / No hear prospective because many of us have family and personal commitments that we want to adhere to. Those of us with children trying to decide whether or not to book that holiday, Summer plans put "on hold". Many who are not self-employed having to convey to their bosses "I may need time off but not to sure when" kinda doesn't sound right and may be the subject of mild bemusement from the boss. Those working shifts being kept "in the lurch" - especially if the offer comes through and it clashes on more than one of the shift pattern.

Unfortunately, this is the harsh reality of auditions and as already mentioned - it doesn't matter how many years, how experienced and good, if the face doesn't fit then they won't be cast. I normally wouldn't go to auditions but I went into this process with an open mind and didn't think much of it and was of the view (at time): "if I got in, I got, if I didn't, I didn't". I remember one thing my mum keeps repeating in relation to these situations: "What's the worse that can happen? Nobody died. You're still well. There's more important things to worry about." I think if I was still in the "waiting" position, I know that personally I would have avoided everything to do with the Olympics. Which can be difficult when you're surrounded by coverage in the news but not impossible. I would have avoided this very Forum (sorry guys, but if I was in the "not heard" / "Reserve" that was what I would do) because it would only add to my frustration hearing about how things went at the rehearsals, other Cast Offers etc. I personally would not be able to stomach it I'm afraid.

It would have been my way of trying to put all of this behind me and moving on with my life. (I would have purposely booked my holidays over the Olympic period as my way of avoiding the whole process. That's if I hadn't heard anything or was a reserve from November auditions.) Please note that this is what I would have done if I was one of those that auditioned in November and was still in the "Reserve" / "Not heard" predicament.

That's why I totally take my hat off and respect everyone who is a Reserve / Not heard who is still hanging on (albeit extremely frustratingly) as to when (or whether) their status will change to "Cast Offer" role.

I know some of you may be thinking : "well it's alright for you because you have a Cast Offer to say "keep the faith", "stay strong" etc." but I'm not going to say these overly (what sound by now) "cliche" phrases that by now must be getting tiresome to hear.

All I can say is those of you who are still with us following the general "chit chat" and other topics, please remember that the amount of support you get from the community here. This also goes for the lurkers who may be too frightened to comment. Please feel free to dive into the discussion when you feel ready. You're all welcome - whether you auditioned for the Olympics, or not.
Reply 6562
Original post by wickedgrin
I do find the lack of communication and decision making amateur and disrespectful.

I'd agree that the communications could have been much better, who knows what's been happening behind the scenes.

What I would add is that a quick scan of the internet reveals the name and CVs of several people involved in managing volunteer and professional cast members. There's no doubt that they have a lot of experience of casting and producing Olympic-scale ceremonies. We may not want to believe it, but they do know what they're doing! (But do they know what they're doing to me...?)
Original post by Concord
I'd agree that the communications could have been much better, who knows what's been happening behind the scenes.

What I would add is that a quick scan of the internet reveals the name and CVs of several people involved in managing volunteer and professional cast members. There's no doubt that they have a lot of experience of casting and producing Olympic-scale ceremonies. We may not want to believe it, but they do know what they're doing! (But do they know what they're doing to me...?)

You've said it in a nutshell Concord! :smile:

The harsh realities of show business eh?
Original post by wickedgrin
Anybody watching "Twenty Twelve" on BBC2? Perhaps it isn't a spoof documentary after all??!!!!

Hilarious. While they obviously exaggerated here and there, it's easy to think that this might otherwise be a quite accurate description... :smile:
Looking forward to the next batch of episodes later this year!

Original post by lanza101
I am sure some of you looked at the LOCOG pro production job applications. They were asking for very detailed stadium and olympic level experience- who the hell has that? I thought what a joke- they ask for all this and they don't appear to have a solid team who understand the scale of this or have the infrastructure for its implementation in place. Come on Sir Alan- pipe up- "it's a bloody disaster"! someone will!

The number of people with that level of experience is rather small, but so is the number of job offerings in this field. Consequently, it's roughly the same people doing these events every time, thus accumulating expertise that will be handed down to the odd new family member. A friend, who was working for the ODA, exclusively works on mega event projects and has to relocate every 4 to 6 years. At her level, she doesn't have too much choice job-wise; her last choice was Rio (Olympics) or Doha (World Cup).

I do understand the frustrations, and communication could certainly have been better, but I tend to agree more with Mandy_Panda and Flakeydom: I think there are real experts at work and they definitely know what they are doing. Events as big as the Olympic Ceremonies are incredibly complex. It's not something that you plan for a number of months and then simply implement; instead the whole process is very dynamic, with creative decisions depending on what kind of people they can attract (both professionals and volunteers) and a huge number of other volatile factors. Everything has an impact on everything else, and plans need to be revised constantly.

The only real communication failure I can see is that they did not allow themselves enough headroom time-wise and therefore set wrong expectations. But this might be a product of technological progress; I am not sure how many Olympics relied almost exclusively on electronic/email communication, perhaps one or two summer Olympics? Imagine how it must have been before: A letter or a phone call, and that was it for a very long time. Maybe L2012C's comm strategy is still rooted in that more patient paradigm.
Original post by Dancerwoman
That's why I totally take my hat off and respect everyone who is a Reserve / Not heard who is still hanging on (albeit extremely frustratingly) as to when (or whether) their status will change to "Cast Offer" role.

I know some of you may be thinking : "well it's alright for you because you have a Cast Offer to say "keep the faith", "stay strong" etc." but I'm not going to say these overly (what sound by now) "cliche" phrases that by now must be getting tiresome to hear.

All I can say is those of you who are still with us following the general "chit chat" and other topics, please remember that the amount of support you get from the community here. This also goes for the lurkers who may be too frightened to comment. Please feel free to dive into the discussion when you feel ready. You're all welcome - whether you auditioned for the Olympics, or not.

Fully agree, I just want to add what has been mentioned before (though in other words):

Being cast as a reserve is NOT a personal failure. The auditions were never designed to find the best of the best, they were designed to rapidly find a huge number of people reasonably able to perform certain functions, and the selection process was very, very crude (= relatively cheap), but did the job for them. On one hand, it's quite nice as we were all treated as equals, regardless of our backgrounds, on the other hand individual talent and skill will have been overlooked.

Yes, the ceremonies team will miss out on hugely motivated and capable individuals. Yes, many reserves would have been 'better' than many of those who have been offered a role. But from the casting team's viewpoint, they have enough people to choose from and as indicated before, they don't need the best of the best, not even the keenest of the keenest. What they do need, though, is a solid body of people willing to step in at any point, even though these points are absolutely unforeseeable.
Original post by Dancerwoman
You've said it in a nutshell Concord! :smile:

The harsh realities of show business eh?

Totally agree! But nothing ventured, nothing gained. :trytofly:

And the secret is to be content with what we've got in life.:wings:
Anyone in Group 49 A or B - do you remember all the different moves from this morning's routines? I'm struggling with them - if you have a list of the movements in either of the routines, please send it to me, I would massively appreciate it!
Reply 6568
Original post by dragon1234
Anyone in Group 49 A or B - do you remember all the different moves from this morning's routines? I'm struggling with them - if you have a list of the movements in either of the routines, please send it to me, I would massively appreciate it!

Oh Dragon1234, I shouldn't worry too much just yet, its early days!! I am sure you will, by the end of your rehearsals, be doing it in your sleep!! :smile:
Reply 6569
Original post by dragon1234

Dragon 1234 I can remember one of my routines completely (47D) but blank on the others. It was mentioned at my rehearsal that we should take a notebook and pen to jot things down. As BigNic says, dont worry as we will be doing them all again, many many times I'm sure :wink:
Reply 6570
Ive got an offer for the Paralympics opening and closing ceremonies - in 90-GROUP-A ("athlete movement and marshalling", whatever that means...).
Is anyone else in this group?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Congrats ElleElle on your offer..I too received an offer for both opening and closing ceremonies in the Paras in 90-Group PLB, same role description. I felt like you at first that I really thought or hoped I would be offered a dancing role but I'm really just happy to be part of the whole event. Just for reference I first auditioned on the 14th Feb with my recall on the 23rd of Feb.

I really have my fingers crossed tightly for all those still still waiting to hear, you all have so much passion and enthusiasm and would be utterly shocked if you don't get a role. Keep the faith! x
One good thing to remember about the people who end up doing athlete movement in either ceremony is that you will be actually in the stadium for most, if not all, of the parade and all the things they need all the athletes there for - the raising of the flag, the lighting of the flame, the oath etc. We have no idea, as yet, of how much of the ceremony the other performers will see.

lympics, I'm pretty sure that we though way way back when PLB came up in segment 51, that it was placard bearer and it was possible that you'd be carrying a country name.
Reply 6572
After reading that offers don't come through on a Saturday.... I just got one! 44FOP in the Olympics Opening. I am well excited! I am really happy! Now I wanna know what we're doing...!? Any other FOPs and anyone KNOW what it is...?

Happee!
Original post by Ace1
After reading that offers don't come through on a Saturday.... I just got one! 44FOP in the Olympics Opening. I am well excited! I am really happy! Now I wanna know what we're doing...!? Any other FOPs and anyone KNOW what it is...?

Happee!

Congratulations! I think it's some sort of utility role in the acting segment. Pinnerite used the term 'beefcake' and people who looked like 'they could push a cow over the moon'. It seems as if in the Feb auditions as well as 'men with rhythm' they were also looking for men with muscle.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6574
Ace1, very many congrats. Good news indeed. FOP we have sorted of decided is fielld of play, well that is our thoughts,which may of course be completely wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6575
YAY!
Congratulations to those who have recently got cast offers. YAY!
This forum needed some good news today to lift everyones spirits on here.
Well done to Placard Bearers, Athlete marshalls,Fopers and everyone else with great offers!
Heres hoping this is the start of lots of new offers for everyone still waiting to hear.
Hey ACE1, congrats to a fellow 44-FOPPER :-)

No idea what the hell we will be doing.

But it is in the opening ceremony and that is kinda cool.

I am thinking it means "Flip Only Pancakes" and that we are probably the official "Pancake Flippers" at the ceremony.
Congrats to those cast today, woooooooo!
Reply 6578
Original post by lympics
Ive got an offer for the Paralympics opening and closing ceremonies - in 90-GROUP-A ("athlete movement and marshalling", whatever that means...).
Is anyone else in this group?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Congrats ElleElle on your offer..I too received an offer for both opening and closing ceremonies in the Paras in 90-Group PLB, same role description. I felt like you at first that I really thought or hoped I would be offered a dancing role but I'm really just happy to be part of the whole event. Just for reference I first auditioned on the 14th Feb with my recall on the 23rd of Feb.

I really have my fingers crossed tightly for all those still still waiting to hear, you all have so much passion and enthusiasm and would be utterly shocked if you don't get a role. Keep the faith! x

Thanks lympics & MsIs - glad to see there is someone else here who has the same role description as me! My rehearsals don't start till mid-July so think there will be a long wait...

No idea at all what I will be doing, as "Group A" doesn't really mean much! Hmm... marshaling around athletes from countries beginning with "A"?? :tongue:

I'm not really a dancer, but, apart from the "bucket-drumming" audition, my other auditions had a dancing slant to them which made me think that's what they were auditioning me for. But all in all, I'm happy, as I can fit the rehearsals around my hectic work schedule, and also attend a friend's wedding in Italy! This friend worked at both the Winter Olympics in Turin and the Asian Games in Doha, so would have been very disappointed if I couldn't perform because of her! Lucky she now has nothing to worry about :smile:

Congrats to those getting offers over the past couple of days! I only got my offer a few days ago so there's still hope :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ace1

Excellent - it's good to have all the days of the week represented!

If anyone KNEW then there's no way they'd be posting it on a public forum since they'd be a organiser/cast member who had signed a confidentiality agreement. And while some of us might be able to make an educated guess, no-one will know for sure until 44FOP get told at their rehearsal. The rest of us will have to wait until the dress rehearsal or opening night.

Latest