The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cinnamon
Quite a few people left the stadium before the end as it was so cold, and we were asked to move from our section into the next section to fill it up.
We wondered why, and then D B and his team arrived!
They practiced 2 movements with our section twice over!

Well... it was very cold but the 'show' also wasn't particularly great so I'm not surprised that half the crowd left before it was over. I thought the athletics were excellent; the stadium feels surprisingly intimate considering its scale (I'll post some pics in the morning) but it went downhill afterwards. I don't think I've ever heard a worse rendition of the national anthem; the Military Wives sounded way way off key although it may just have been the acoustics of the stadium since the marching band later were also muted. Perhaps that's why most of the music at the ceremonies will be pre-recorded - the sound system for that is impressive.

Sorry that we missed you Cinnamon but glad to see that you got involved in something. As a 41A audience wrangler, I'm guessing I'll be involved in whatever your section were doing if it makes it into the ceremony. One thing though that couldn't quite figure out where the 41Aers will be on the night if the idea if to have them in the stands. The staircases seem the only viable option in the top deck - and they're quite spread out (30-40 seats between them) so the middle seats might struggle to see.
Reply 7641
I remember watching the fabulous tap routine from Sydney OOC on You Tube, and they had lots of people tap dancing in the aisles- looked awesome!
Reply 7642
OOC 44 FOPPER here.. Just wondering what do you think will happen to us after our performance? Do you think we'll get shuffled backstage and miss it all, and have to leave straight away, or have to stay? Do you think we'll have a backstage party after our performance or screens out back? Or do you think it will be really regimented and serious? Do you think we'll mingle with the athletes or be seperated? Whaddya guys reckon?
Original post by Pinnerite
It was bitterly cold - hope it will be warmer in June/July for rehearsals!

Original post by Flakeydom
Well... it was very cold

Not sounding good, our outdoor rehearsals start in two weeks, so I will probably be attempting to dance while layered up like a chunky teddy bear. Also weather reports that this Friday is probably the only rain-free day in the foreseeable future, mean that puddles might add an interesting dimension to the choreography.
Unlike e.g. at Wembley all the food stalls are outside the stadium itself and sadly that is one area they will have to improve on as there were long queues and they had sold out of much of the food well before the festivities began, although some replacements did arrive. First day jitters perhaps. The food available was quite varied- sandwiches, waffles, jacket potatoes, roast meat etc. and seemed of good quality and there was one bar that I saw and there were pub type outdoor tables and benches to sit at.

To be fair to them, the Park had been open for the earlier sessions since the morning so it might be just they assumed the evening arrivals would have eaten beforehand. Not great but potentially understandable. I'm not sure if any of those foods will be there come Games-time since they won't be sponsors. I'd thought only sponsors could do the food/drink? (i.e. McDonalds) They weren't stopping people bringing food in last night though through security.

There is food once you get across the bridges into the stadium site - and lots and lots of loos (many more female to male - not a queue all night which pleasantly surprised me!) The food/concessions stands around the outside perimeter of the island (suddenly that DB quote makes even more sense!) aren't all completely built yet - and the ones that were open only seemed to have temporary signage on them (like 'deli'/'pasties') rather than glossy corporate sponsorship. I suspect we have seen it more in 'Legacy' mode.

The other thing that really surprised me last night was the size of the replay screens. I've been to quite a few modern stadiums (here and in the US/Europe) which all seem to have an impressive HD screen. The one in the Stadium is teeny and seems more 'Crystal Palace' than Olympic - again it may be the 'Legacy' version. It wasn't branded and with Samsung being a sponsor, I suspect something bigger/better will be in there for Games proper. There was an expanse just in front it with no seating yet.

One of the people around me pointed out that they couldn't spot anywhere obvious for the flame - aside perhaps from the top of the Orbit!

And, it's 82 days today - bit of a dilemma on the picture front - the one I like most or the one that feels more sporty and works better on the collage...

82-blog.jpg or 82_Academy.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ace1
Do you think we'll have a backstage party after our performance or screens out back? Do you think we'll mingle with the athletes or be seperated?

I doubt there will be a backstage party - the emphasis will be on getting people in/out (performers/audience etc) so I suspect you'll leave as soon as you are decostumed so as not to add to the 80,000 leaving at the end. It may be that you are moved to another venue so you can still see aspects of it. I believe the athletes start off in the Basketball arena before the parade so you may be out of the stadium before they even set foot in it.

Original post by Caroline27
Not sounding good, our outdoor rehearsals start in two weeks, so I will probably be attempting to dance while layered up like a chunky teddy bear.

It was only really really cold since we were sitting around for a couple of hours and not moving - although there was a fair blast of wind around the outside of the stadium as we left. I cycled to/from the gym yesterday in 3/4 leggings and a windproof jacket over my T-shirt and was warm enough. Having said that, a pair of running gloves might not go amiss!
Original post by Flakeydom

It was only really really cold since we were sitting around for a couple of hours and not moving - although there was a fair blast of wind around the outside of the stadium as we left. QUOTE

It was the wind that was so bitter as opposed to the air temperature and where my son and I were stiting - just under the first part of the cover- we caught the full blast of the wind whistling through. Some people on the train home - idienfiable by the clackers they were carrying!!- were at the opposite end of the stadium and they said they had been quite sheltered and had not been really cold. When we are rehearsing we shall be moving about - especially the dancers! and so we should be fine but layers of clothing necessary I think!
Panoramic pic from the stadium

And one another from my seat - note the plethora of wires above; I believe those are the ones from Rafiki's articles that can support those 34 double-deckers.

stadium.jpg
Reply 7648
Original post by cinnamon
Quite a few people left the stadium before the end as it was so cold, and we were asked to move from our section into the next section to fill it up.
We wondered why, and then D B and his team arrived!
They practiced 2 movements with our section twice over!

I suspect some people wondered why they were doing it but of course being part of this process I knew exactly what they were up to.

That's so cool, I can't wait to find out what all these tantalising hints add up to. I'm fortunate enough to be on both sides so I'll get to be an audience wrangler and a wranglee, wonder if there's anyone else in that position? Wouldn't it be fun if I ended up with a TSR wrangler at the Opening!

I like trying to be a stadium detective as well and have been wondering about the flame location. Interesting to hear you mention that 41A wrangling positions might be a bit tricky Flakeydom. The question I most get asked is where I'll be during the ceremony and it's fun speculating.

Your panoramas are great, cheers for sharing them.
Original post by Mandy_Panda
Thanks for the birthday wishes guys!

Hi Mandy!

I know i am absolutely late, but would like of wishing you a happiest, merriest belated happy Birthday to you. May you have long life and happiness and may your dreams of finding a "man with rythm" comes true. Enjoy life babe:smile:
Reply 7650
Great photos Flakey!

Good question about the Cauldron. I'd like to think that there are so many wires criss-crossing the stadium roof that it could be suspended right about the field, but the word is that Thomas Heatherwick is designing it, and that it will be outside the stadium - it's been discussed here before I think. The planning application details are here.

cauldron3qn3.jpg
Another busy day! Won our third cup at the tap festival today and now back to the Olympic Park to watch the men's final hockey but taking even more warm clothing than last night! Perhaps may see Adelie and Commonliner there?
Reply 7652
Original post by Redu
Anyone else a 72-GS-A? I'm feeling lonely!

Anyone else yet? :colondollar:
Reply 7653
Another busy day! Won our third cup at the tap festival today and now back to the Olympic Park to watch the men's final hockey but taking even more warm clothing than last night! Perhaps may see Adelie and Commonliner there?

Well done Pinnerite. I would love to see your tap group perform. You must be delighted. Up the tappers!!!!!!!:elefant::elefant::elefant:
Very much enjoyed the men's hockey final and lovely to have a chance to see much more of the Olympic park than before and without the massive crowds of yesterday so could see the stadium and the bridges leading to it in all it's glory. It was about a kilometre to walk from entrance to park although there are lots of mobility buggies. Striking hockey pitch-blue with pink surround. Good atmosphere and not nearly so chilly as last night. Bumped into Commonliner by chance on the way out and he had seen Adelie. After my comment yesterday I noticed there were signs in French at entry to the hockey so we are trying. I am glad I made the effort today -much more relaxed and in some ways therefore more enjoyable and not so cold!!!!I
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Eve 58
Well done Pinnerite. I would love to see your tap group perform. You must be delighted. Up the tappers!!!!!!!:elefant::elefant::elefant:

Thanks Eve! There were some AMAZING solo tappers in the under 13 class. I could never tap like that in a million years but our routine was great fun with character acting in parts - practising for rehearsals:-)
Well that was my ninth London Prepares/ Gold Challenge event - next visit is us -AARGH! One overriding impression I am taking away is how friendly all the volunteer Games Makers have been. Almost without exception they have greeted us with a smile and wished us good night/ asked whether we had had a good day. Very well selected and trained. Well done Games Makers you will do us proud!
Another busy day! Won our third cup at the tap festival today and now back to the Olympic Park to watch the men's final hockey but taking even more warm clothing than last night!

Congrats - glad the knees hadn't suffered too much last night and defrosted enough for you to tap to victory!

Sounds like it was a much better day today...
Congrats, Pinnerite. Good to meet you and Adelie, even if just for a moment.

We were sitting with the injured players from the German and Australian squads and tried not to cheer at the wrong time to hide our lack of hockey expertise. Very interesting experience.

The park is really nice, great legacy for the local community.
Sifting through 400+ photos now...
Reply 7659
Well my second visit to the stadium tonight! It was bitterly cold - hope it will be warmer in June/July for rehearsals! Unlike e.g. at Wembley all the food stalls are outside the stadium itself and sadly that is one area they will have to improve on as there were long queues and they had sold out of much of the food well before the festivities began, although some replacements did arrive. First day jitters perhaps. The food available was quite varied- sandwiches, waffles, jacket potatoes, roast meat etc. and seemed of good quality and there was one bar that I saw and there were pub type outdoor tables and benches to sit at.

The security was extremely slick and the toilets were numerous with no queues although the ones outside in the village were only signposted by paper notices with 'toilet' written in biro! The signs were almost exclusively in English only although we did queue up on 'Pont B'. It was lovely to see Flakeydom! I shall be sorry to miss Adelie and Commonliner tomorrow for the hockey although my son will be there. Take some warm clothing guys! The bronze play-off is at 3.45 and the final is at 6.30.

Cinnamon I did not know you were going to be there! You could have met up with me and Flakeydom! How fabulous to see DB there - he is so friendly and we had quite a chat the other day. I am intrigued as to what they were practising....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17954553

i was at the Olympic park on Saturday went to watch the wheel chair tennis at Eaton manor which ia a long walk from the stadium, it was delayed due the rain just as I arrived!!! only saw 50 minutes worth of play and rush back to the water polo only to catch the last 1.5minutes of the GB team against USA.
still its was good to be in the park and see the stadium up close

Latest