The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

First rehearsal today first rehearsal today !! Doing the first rehearsal random dance around the room :-)

Can't wait to see everyone there :-)
Xxxx
Reply 9481
Original post by commonliner
No, but it says that the accreditation comes into effect on 16 July - one month from now to sort things out. Talk to the cast coordinators at the next rehearsal (if you have one soonish).

Although stadium rehearsals start next week, I think this is the key date - 16 July - by which things need to be sorted out. Which is a month, not a week. I imagine the back of the vols cast IDs are the same as the pro ones? The latter says that access into the Olympic Park itself requires the OIAC (that's the big pass that we're going to get), but for now I suspect the stadium has special conditions attached. It also says I can't drive a forklift truck. A shame.

Might be worth asking those on the Gamesmakers thread on TSR how flexible their appointments were.
Reply 9482
Original post by Bignic12
wow so much going on! First rehearsal later today woohoo :biggrin:

My first at the stadium is only 2 weeks away and have received no email info about picking up a pass !!!!!! :eek:

Will ask later see what is going on :smile:

Have a fab time.

Original post by Mandy_Panda
just checked my email, nothing!

Having read the emailed letter in full, you get a date and time to go and collect. It also says that we will all have to be Games Time Accredited and that it will be active from 16th July - so time yet - still don't see why it can't be give to us at one of our rehearsals, though this is from OCOG.
Reply 9483
Original post by Samantha_Walker
First rehearsal today first rehearsal today !! Doing the first rehearsal random dance around the room :-)

Can't wait to see everyone there :-)
Xxxx

good luck with your reheasal enjoy it. i have had 5 now and still have the buss!!
Reply 9484
I just realised that I can't make my appointment (next Wednesday at 4:30), because I have a training course scheduled. As it takes me two hours each way, there's no way.

I *assume* that we only need the pass during *proper* games-time security restrictions, i.e. after the 16th of July, and before that our current passes will be fine, but it's not very clear.

More importantly, I'd like to know the opening hours of that place. I can't make my date, do I just show up on another? And if so, at what time?

Searching through the other threads the Games Makers seem to have been able to pick a slot, just like they did with their training, now UDAC is done with them they're just trying to squeeze 10000+ ceremonies volunteers through without a choice.

Bit miffed, but hey, it'll be worth it :smile:
Original post by Quark999

I *assume* that we only need the pass during *proper* games-time security restrictions, i.e. after the 16th of July, and before that our current passes will be fine, but it's not very clear.

I'm pretty sure you need it for any stadium rehersals
Original post by maclondon

this is what I thought!
Reply 9487
This whole accreditation pick-up is not cool. Why did they not let us know about this before? I happen to be fine with my appointment - I live close by and it's a convenient time - but this is just not fair to all those coming from far away, and needing to take yet more time off of work.

I must say, while I found the whole thing has been running like clockwork, I'm very disappointed with how much they waste people's time. My rehearsals routinely start an hour late (or more), even if we're all "bib-ed up and ready to go" within 20-30 minutes. Seriously not cool for those waking up at 5am to be there on a Sunday, only to find out they're expected to sit around for over an hour. Not impressed.
Reply 9488
Games Time accreditation is active from 16 July, if you do not have this pass, there will be no way to get you into Olympic Park.

How can we need it if it isn't "active", whatever that means?

They did tell us at the last rehearsals to take our badges with us to the stadium as there would be no exceptions anymore, but of course they could have meant the new ones as well...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9489
scielle, while I don't want to moan, I kind of agree with you. Knowing I'd be sitting around for an hour I really cut it close last Sunday and was still fine, but there seems to be a slightly laid-back attitude to it all that doesn't really gel with the realities of LOTS of volunteers - not many live THAT close to the sites, even if they are from London (I'm not), I have a proper job that I can't just leave at a moment's notice etc. etc. It's almost as if the people making these decisions have forgotten their lives outside of the Olympics.

But we've overcome other obstacles, we will overcome this one. I just wish they didn't make it so hard sometimes...
Reply 9490
Original post by scielle
This whole accreditation pick-up is not cool. Why did they not let us know about this before? I happen to be fine with my appointment - I live close by and it's a convenient time - but this is just not fair to all those coming from far away, and needing to take yet more time off of work.

I must say, while I found the whole thing has been running like clockwork, I'm very disappointed with how much they waste people's time. My rehearsals routinely start an hour late (or more), even if we're all "bib-ed up and ready to go" within 20-30 minutes. Seriously not cool for those waking up at 5am to be there on a Sunday, only to find out they're expected to sit around for over an hour. Not impressed.

i have been to 5 reheasal now and there have all started 1 hour later then stated, I assume this is to allow everone to get there and as there are 1000 people in our section then it all takes time to process etc. i am still very happy with their organisation although will now have to sort out my accreditation date as i have something else planned
Original post by Drumbeat
i have been to 5 reheasal now and there have all started 1 hour later then stated, I assume this is to allow everone to get there and as there are 1000 people in our section then it all takes time to process etc. i am still very happy with their organisation although will now have to sort out my accreditation date as i have something else planned

On the official on-line planning application which details all the rehearsals the rehearsals are always scheduled to start 1 hour alter the the given starting time but that allows for us to get kitted up where necessary/ receive any necessary briefings and to allow for mass arrival of so many people arriving all at one time.

I can manage my short-notice accreditation appointment - although it wil take up to 4 hours out of my day and is very inconvenient but at least I am not financially/work/travel disadvantaged unlike so many others must be. Has anyone who cannot manage their date had any luck with phoning casting?
Reply 9492
scielle, while I don't want to moan, I kind of agree with you. Knowing I'd be sitting around for an hour I really cut it close last Sunday and was still fine, but there seems to be a slightly laid-back attitude to it all that doesn't really gel with the realities of LOTS of volunteers - not many live THAT close to the sites, even if they are from London (I'm not), I have a proper job that I can't just leave at a moment's notice etc. etc. It's almost as if the people making these decisions have forgotten their lives outside of the Olympics.

But we've overcome other obstacles, we will overcome this one. I just wish they didn't make it so hard sometimes...

I was told by a volunteer that on the planning application for 1:1 site the rehearsal start times are shown as an hour after we have been told to get there. I was also told that the bigger group had been told to get there 1.5 hrs before the rehearsal start! Luckily I'm just a 20 min drive away and have been getting there later and later so that I'm not hanging around. I continue to be totally in awe of everyone coming from further afield.

I'm bemused about people having to go and pick up these new passes at non rehearsal times. Whilst I live in London I do have a full time job. I assume that for security reasons that people have to pick up their own passes? I wonder why they couldn't set up a table at the 1:1 on a Sat and Sun for us to collect them?
Reply 9493
Original post by Pinnerite
On the official on-line planning application which details all the rehearsals the rehearsals are always scheduled to start 1 hour alter the the given starting time but that allows for us to get kitted up where necessary/ receive any necessary briefings and to allow for mass arrival of so many people arriving all at one time.

I can manage my short-notice accreditation appointment - although it wil take up to 4 hours out of my day and is very inconvenient but at least I am not financially/work/travel disadvantaged unlike so many others must be. Has anyone who cannot manage their date had any luck with phoning casting?

Ah... it must have been Pinnerite that told me about the planning application info!
Reply 9494
I just realised that I can't make my appointment .

More importantly, I'd like to know the opening hours of that place. I can't make my date, do I just show up on another? And if so, at what time?

Bit miffed, but hey, it'll be worth it :smile:

They are sort of advising against just turning up from reading between the lines - they say that if you do then processing those with appointments/or you may take longer and may result in some people not being seen. I'm sure they will reschedule if you contact.

Original post by maclondon

Original post by Mandy_Panda
this is what I thought!

Original post by scielle

I collect my badge a day after our first stadium rehearsal so am assuming this is for dress rehearsals/full days leading up to the ceremony. Who knows. Agree with Scielle in that they could have let us know before and still ask why they couldn't tie it all in with our first visit to the stadium (as they did at 3 Mills then 1:1 induction).

It is a pain having to wait around for an hour before rehearsals start I agree but I think the start time is the time "gates" open. Still it is useful to have time to catch up with others, talk and sometimes have breakfast/lunch depending on your session. All good and at least they do work you pretty hard from then on, and finish on time - which is always a plus :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9495
I'm close to giving up altogether. There is an hour hanging about before anything happens. Then we go to the FOP and stand around for ages. Last Saturday we stood for an hour, had a 20 minute break then stood for another hour before be even did one move. I'm sure the time could be used much more efficiently and I would prefer to spend one full day with one lot of "waiting" rather than 2 half days (with 4 hours a day travelling).

If they make it any more difficult for us to attend or make the days or hours more unsocial then that's it. I already know a number of people in my group that have not been back.

All I have in return is an Oyster card that's not use to me, a pair of boots and a T-shirt.
Bit peeved by all of this. My daughter and I both have the same date but at opposite ends of the day. She already has rehearsals on Friday and Sunday too and we have to
each pay £15 a time for a return ticket to Stratford. I do not even have my first pass as it was not ready last week.

There is no way daughter can get there at her allotted time either as she has made plans for her one free day this weekend. Going to drop them a line and see if we can both turn up at my time - or may just do that
anyway.

Agree, why on earth can they not do this during normal rehearsals or give us one pass at the start that covers all bases!!

Would also add that my Oyster was one of those with only £10 on and therefore it will not cover this extra trip and my next rehearsal trip too - perhaps they will issue me with another one or give me a sensible amount on the one I have?
Also my first stadium rehearsal is before the date allotted for the activation of the passes on 16th July!!!!!!!!!!!

EG
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Drumbeat
good luck with your reheasal enjoy it. i have had 5 now and still have the buss!!

Glad to hear it !
Original post by kestel
I'm close to giving up altogether. There is an hour hanging about before anything happens. Then we go to the FOP and stand around for ages. Last Saturday we stood for an hour, had a 20 minute break then stood for another hour before be even did one move. I'm sure the time could be used much more efficiently and I would prefer to spend one full day with one lot of "waiting" rather than 2 half days (with 4 hours a day travelling).

If they make it any more difficult for us to attend or make the days or hours more unsocial then that's it. I already know a number of people in my group that have not been back.

All I have in return is an Oyster card that's not use to me, a pair of boots and a T-shirt.

Oh dear ! - what segment is that btw? (and is it acting/drumming/dancing please?)
Original post by Essex Girl
Bit peeved by all of this. My daughter and I both have the same date but at opposite ends of the day. She already has rehearsals on Friday and Sunday too and we have to
each pay £15 a time for a return ticket to Stratford. I do not even have my first pass as it was not ready last week.

There is no way daughter can get there at her allotted time either as she has made plans for her one free day this weekend. Going to drop them a line and see if we can both turn up at my time - or may just do that
anyway.

Agree, why on earth can they not do this during normal rehearsals or give us one pass at the start that covers all bases!!

Would also add that my Oyster was one of those with only £10 on and therefore it will not cover this extra trip and my next rehearsal trip too - perhaps they will issue me with another one or give me a sensible amount on the one I have?
Also my first stadium rehearsal is before the date allotted for the activation of the passes on 16th July!!!!!!!!!!!

EG

Oh dear (again) - wot an inconvenience this latest news is !

Latest