The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
This isn't included in my book :frown: It simply states that as the electrons move down the chain of carriers sufficient energy is lost to phosphorylate ADP to ATP known as photophosphorylation :s-smilie: Confused..

Which textbook is that? The bit in bold was pretty important as it states how the ATP is synthesised.
Reply 361
Original post by EffKayy
Ooh legacy papers :wink:
Haha I did this question too but didn't understand it too.

How's revision? Worried about this paper fml :frown:

Aha yeah there's not enough papers on the new spec. :tongue:

Revision has been okayy, just getting so bored of it all. I can't wait till just under 3 weeks when they'll all be over! You?
Reply 362
I hate the carbon/nitrogen cycle questions. I always state is broadly saying saprobionts decompose the detritus, absorb product and respire it back into the atmosphere for plants to use in photosynthesis. But say if it's how glucose is transferred from a dead worm to a leaf I forget to mention the break down of glucose and C02 entering the leaf through the stomata. ergh little details
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by liviaaa

Original post by liviaaa
Does anyone understand 7biii) of this paper: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-BYB4-W-QP-JUN06.PDF ? I understand the order, just not exactly the explanation to go with it. Thanks :biggrin:

Wouldn't it be the obvious answer? ADP is used up when it combines with Pi to form ATP. Oxygen is the final electron acceptor in the electron transport chain, so is used up and so concentration decreases.
Reply 364
Original post by NutterFrutter
Wouldn't it be the obvious answer? ADP is used up when it combines with Pi to form ATP. Oxygen is the final electron acceptor in the electron transport chain, so is used up and so concentration decreases.

7biii - not 7bii :tongue:
Original post by liviaaa
Does anyone understand 7biii) of this paper: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-BYB4-W-QP-JUN06.PDF ? I understand the order, just not exactly the explanation to go with it. Thanks :biggrin:

well think about it in a step by step process.

Electron carriers become reduced when they receive electrons from the krebs cycle (and glycloysis). Enzymes catalyse the movement of the electrons from each electon carrier to the other. If an enzyme is inhibited all the molecules prior to that enzyme will be reduced (as they carry hold onto their electrons) and those after are oxidised. Thererfore, the carriers that are reduced with all the inhibitors will be first in the chain (and so on and so forth) until the last one which is always oxidised.

if you dont do a level chemistry and have forgotten gcse redox stuff- this question would probably be a lot harder.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Besakt
Which textbook is that? The bit in bold was pretty important as it states how the ATP is synthesised.

I guess I'll learn that then.. It's the A2 Nelson Thornes book! We haven't been taught this in lessons either :s-smilie:
Reply 367
Original post by liviaaa
Aha yeah there's not enough papers on the new spec. :tongue:

Revision has been okayy, just getting so bored of it all. I can't wait till just under 3 weeks when they'll all be over! You?

Yep ( those papers are more nicer too IMO)
Yeah revisions okay, but it's really tedious. I hate ecology.
The exams hard too, but you're going to ace it like you always do ahah
just a question- is the old spec tests worth going through?
Reply 369
Original post by Constricule
well think about it in a step by step process.

Electron carriers become reduced when they receive electrons from the krebs cycle (and glycloysis). Enzymes catalyse the movement of the electrons from each electon carrier to the other. If an enzyme is inhibited all the molecules prior to that enzyme will be reduced (as they carry hold onto their electrons) and those after are oxidised. Thererfore, the carriers that are reduced with all the inhibitors will be first in the chain (and so on and so forth) until the last one which is always oxidised.

if you dont do a level chemistry and have forgotten gcse redox stuff- this question would probably be a lot harder.

Ah thankyou that makes so much more sense now. :biggrin: Haha, yeah I do A2 chemistry.

Original post by EffKayy
Yep ( those papers are more nicer too IMO)
Yeah revisions okay, but it's really tedious. I hate ecology.
The exams hard too, but you're going to ace it like you always do ahah

Yeah those papers are waaaay nicer - they're a lot more content based and less HSW!
Reply 370
just a question- is the old spec tests worth going through?

Yes. Definately. The question in the jan2011 paper abou advantages of biological control and disadvantages was in an old spec paper with exactly the same markscheme. Haha
I guess I'll learn that then.. It's the A2 Nelson Thornes book! We haven't been taught this in lessons either :s-smilie:

I haven't been taught this either, the A2 bio book seems to miss out a lot of details. I rely quite a lot on the specification too and it's not mentioned in there so i'll try to remember vaguely what happens there just in case :tongue:
Original post by juliewho
I haven't been taught this either, the A2 bio book seems to miss out a lot of details. I rely quite a lot on the specification too and it's not mentioned in there so i'll try to remember vaguely what happens there just in case :tongue:

Woo that makes two of us :biggrin: I tried looking in the specification too but I can't seem to find it, I was trying to look for any past paper questions on the light dependent stage of photosynthesis to have a look in the mark scheme to see if they include it but I can't find any :frown: It doesn't seem like too much more to remember so hey ho :tongue:
Woo that makes two of us :biggrin: I tried looking in the specification too but I can't seem to find it, I was trying to look for any past paper questions on the light dependent stage of photosynthesis to have a look in the mark scheme to see if they include it but I can't find any :frown: It doesn't seem like too much more to remember so hey ho :tongue:

I can't find it either, but I suppose they could throw it in to confuse us :tongue: For long mark questions there tends to be about nine points to choose from to make five or six marks, so it shouldn't be a big deal , unless they ask us about it specifically :frown:
Reply 374
The nelson thornes book does miss out chemiosmosis.
Original post by juliewho
I can't find it either, but I suppose they could throw it in to confuse us :tongue: For long mark questions there tends to be about nine points to choose from to make five or six marks, so it shouldn't be a big deal , unless they ask us about it specifically :frown:

Yeah hopefully we will be okay fingers crossed :tongue:

Original post by EffKayy
The nelson thornes book does miss out chemiosmosis.

It's supposedly "exclusively endorsed" by AQA.. Not sure what to make of that! Has anyone actually seen a question on chemiosmosis in any past papers?
Reply 376

You can just remember OILRIG.

O - Oxidation
I - Is
L - Loss of electrons/gain of oxygen

R - Reduction
I - Is
G - Gain of electrons/loss of oxygen
Reply 377
Ooh, so hyrdogen gain/loss has nothing to do with being reduced or otherwise?

Eesh, nowonder I'm getting confused with the ETC ^^

OILRIG FTW
Reply 378
Yeah hopefully we will be okay fingers crossed :tongue:

It's supposedly "exclusively endorsed" by AQA.. Not sure what to make of that! Has anyone actually seen a question on chemiosmosis in any past papers?

Yeap, its to do with the pumping etc.
Reply 379
Original post by Sockhead
Ooh, so hyrdogen gain/loss has nothing to do with being reduced or otherwise?

Eesh, nowonder I'm getting confused with the ETC ^^

OILRIG FTW

Yes it does.
Gaining of hydrogen = Reduction
Loss of hydrogen = Oxidation.
Gain of electrons = Reduction
Loss of electrons = Oxidation
Gain of oxygen = Oxidation
Loss of oxygen = Reduction

This is why when in the light-dependent stage, electrons that are transferred to 'NADP' reduce it, as well as the H+ from photolysis of water. They both cause a reduction in NADP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending