The Student Room Group

No GCSEs due to complications, what are my options?!

Hi there.

I have no GCSEs due to complications. I was forced to leave school in April 2009 (almost finished year 9) and had moved around about 4-6 times since then and had family trouble. Haven't gone to school since and I obviously have no GCSEs.

I know I want to get into Computing, hopefully computer programming with C# or become an IT Consultant/Engineer. My mum is also disabled and I was her carer for the last 6 months.

She is looking for a carer right now and I want to know what my options are :eek:

I would be extremely happy to go to college right now, since I'm 16 (born april 1995) but I know that's impossible without GCSEs. So what can I do?

Thanks guys, every reply is much appreciated.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're not 17 if you were born in 1995...
Original post by Matthew320
Hi there.

I have no GCSEs due to complications. I was forced to leave school in April 2009 (almost finished year 9) and had moved around about 4-6 times since then and had family trouble. Haven't gone to school since and I obviously have no GCSEs.

I know I want to get into Computing, hopefully computer programming with C# or become an IT Consultant/Engineer. My mum is also disabled and I was her carer for the last 6 months.

She is looking for a carer right now and I want to know what my options are :eek:

I would be extremely happy to go to college right now, since I'm 17 (born april 1995) but I know that's impossible without GCSEs. So what can I do?

It isn't at all impossible to go to go to college with no GCSEs - it is a very common, but completely incorrect, belief that you need 5 passes to be able to go to any college - it is just unusual. You should begin by talking to some colleges and 6th forms about your history and explaining your lack of qualifications because if you get in for a relevant course you will be able to take Maths/English GCSEs which are the only ones that matter really. Some may even offer you a more full GCSE schedule as preparation for another course but you will have to talk to them about that.

Failing that, if you have money or find a job you can register as an independent candidate for all kinds of things although this will involve teaching yourself (you can pay a fair bit more and get help via correspondence though). Finally, if the OU do any courses that interest you you can look at that as an option as well.
Reply 3
Hi there.

I would be extremely happy to go to college right now, since I'm 16 (born april 1995) but I know that's impossible without GCSEs. So what can I do?

Wow, that's really inspirational that you were a carer for your mum and I love that you're really determined to get more education so you can fulfill your dream of getting into Computing :smile:.

Firstly, a college near me does a "GCSE Fast Track" course meaning that people the same age as you and I can do the most important GCSEs. I'm presuming other colleges do this too? So it's definitely not the end of the world for you!
Hi there.

You can do GCSE's at some colleges, so its worth looking into that, to see if you can do GCSE'S there. Also, some courses, you can start at doing level 1 (which doesnt require you to have any GCSE'S or anything to do it. Then you can progress onto level 2 and level 3.
Also theres access courses. I dont really know anything about them but i know you can do them without any GCSE'S.
Original post by Emma:-)
You can do GCSE's at some colleges, so its worth looking into that, to see if you can do GCSE'S there. Also, some courses, you can start at doing level 1 (which doesnt require you to have any GCSE'S or anything to do it. Then you can progress onto level 2 and level 3.
Also theres access courses. I dont really know anything about them but i know you can do them without any GCSE'S.

you should be able to do maths & english gcses alongside level 2 courses; it depends upon how intelligent they deem you to be from talking to you, how easy you find the work etc. when you've completed your level 2 course and hopefully gotten gcse english and maths, you can progress to a levels. a good level 2 course to take would be a btec, as it is equivalent to 4 gcses, and although you can get into uni with just english and maths, you'll be more well-respected with 5+ gcses which is the average.
Reply 6
Reply 7

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it. Could I do anything like this in London somewhere? I live in London and it's absolutely impossible for me to go so far away, especially with my ill mum. I wouldn't want to leave her alone.
im a gay ****
You could self-study your GCSEs (more than likely IGCSEs, they don't have coursework which is a problem if you self-study) and enter the exams yourself as a private candidate.

You could go and see a college and try to get them to accept you onto GCSE courses by agreeing to an assesment of some kind. Shop around, try different colleges, and see what they offer.

You could go for a practical IT course. You could go for an apprenticeship.

Aside from any of those, if you wanted to do this on top of one (or more) of those things, you could study for the CompTIA A+ exams if it's IT you want to go into. I'm sure there are other IT qualifications more specific to the type of job you want too so you may want to look into that.

If you need any help with any of these things, send me a message. :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it. Could I do anything like this in London somewhere? I live in London and it's absolutely impossible for me to go so far away, especially with my ill mum. I wouldn't want to leave her alone.

Of course! You'll have more options in a bigger city like London as well.
hello there i want to ask if its posible for me to go on college but i didnt done the gcesis ive been for a year in my country and i didnt go to school because all the students finished at 16 earlier can someone answer me thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
im 15 suck at home been out of education for 2 years not in collage no GCSES whats the other opion
im 15 not in education haven't been for 2 years I have been to collage recently but didn't like it I got no GCSES what can I do????
yes
Reply 15
very nice i like your remnder
Comments like the one posted above by Salvulcano should be deleted immediately. What kind of fool are you, Salvulcano, when someone is reaching out for help and that's all you can offer?

Kelsiee, I know someone in a very similar situation to yours and it's awful. I feel for you. What are you trying to work towards? I'm happy to try to help if I can.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
Hey umm Iā€™m deaf and 16 and I havenā€™t got any gcse due to hospitals and Iā€™m not really sure what the other option is I donā€™t know I feel weird about it
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 18
Hey did you ever do anything Iā€™m 15 now and in the same position
Reply 19
Hey Yes I did. I went to a college and did a couple courses last year. This year Iā€™m starting a new one to try other courses. There are a lot of colleges that allow you to do your GCSEs there and other courses that you enjoy like Art or animal care or something else you love. You could do some research online to see which colleges you could go to in your area. I felt pretty weird starting somewhere new but it all works out in the end.

Latest