The Student Room Group

What is GCSE DT like?

Hi,
So, it's coming up to my deadline of submitting options, and right now I have in mind these subjects (12):

core subjects
further maths
DT
Ancient Greek
Italian
French
Triple Science
RS

I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing DT at GCSE. Is it extremely time-consuming? Is the theory hard? What were the hardest things about the practical project? I just don't want to overload myself and bring myself down trying to be too ambitious.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by alexiia
Hi,
So, it's coming up to my deadline of submitting options, and right now I have in mind these subjects (12):

core subjects
further maths
DT
Ancient Greek
Italian
French
Triple Science
RS

I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing DT at GCSE. Is it extremely time-consuming? Is the theory hard? What were the hardest things about the practical project? I just don't want to overload myself and bring myself down trying to be too ambitious.

Thanks

I didn’t take DT so I can’t really answer your questions however, my close friend took DT at GCSE and she really enjoyed it, it was definitely her favourite subject so, if you like it enough it’s probably worth it? I don’t really know tho since I didn’t take it. I did take art which is a heavier subject I can say that it was worth it (not much help ik,, sorry)..
Reply 2
Original post by Ram0na
I didn’t take DT so I can’t really answer your questions however, my close friend took DT at GCSE and she really enjoyed it, it was definitely her favourite subject so, if you like it enough it’s probably worth it? I don’t really know tho since I didn’t take it. I did take art which is a heavier subject I can say that it was worth it (not much help ik,, sorry)..

I see - I'd say I quite like DT. I've also heard from a friend that Art has much more theory than what it first appears to have, and can be harder than DT (I was going to take it in the first place). Thanks anyway!
I did DT at GCSE
-The coursework and designing part of the subject isnt too hard, but its a lot of work. Our whole class had to stay after school many times and even come during halfterm to finish our projects
-Its really fun! (imo)
-The theory is mostly loads of memorisation, i didn't do the actual exam (bc i'm a 2020 student haha) so I can't really say much on this as i never really revised for DT
-If you're determined, creative, and think u can cope with deadlines and coursework and stuff, you'll be fine!
Original post by BadBComeToTheNiz
I did DT at GCSE
-The coursework and designing part of the subject isnt too hard, but its a lot of work. Our whole class had to stay after school many times and even come during halfterm to finish our projects
-Its really fun! (imo)
-The theory is mostly loads of memorisation, i didn't do the actual exam (bc i'm a 2020 student haha) so I can't really say much on this as i never really revised for DT
-If you're determined, creative, and think u can cope with deadlines and coursework and stuff, you'll be fine1

I agree
Original post by tej3141
I agree

Prsom
Yea i can't believe im saying this, but i actually miss doing dt 😂
Prsom
Yea i can't believe im saying this, but i actually miss doing dt 😂

Trust me. Going after school to work on my project was so chill. I'm kinda annoyed we didnt get to finish out project tho
Reply 7
I did DT at GCSE
-Its really fun! (imo)
-If you're determined, creative, and think u can cope with deadlines and coursework and stuff, you'll be fine!

I would say that I am quite organised, and I do not mind giving up lunchtimes, or after school for the project. I agree that DT is very fun - both designing and practical! I guess I will just try my best with the memorisation, and try not to get sunk into the other subjects I'm taking (Ancient Greek, Italian, French, triple science, RS, core, and further maths haha).
Original post by alexiia
I see - I'd say I quite like DT. I've also heard from a friend that Art has much more theory than what it first appears to have, and can be harder than DT (I was going to take it in the first place). Thanks anyway!

DT is a good GCSE - I wouldn;t bother with level 2 FMaths it's better to get a grade 9 in Maths.
Original post by alexiia
I would say that I am quite organised, and I do not mind giving up lunchtimes, or after school for the project. I agree that DT is very fun - both designing and practical! I guess I will just try my best with the memorisation, and try not to get sunk into the other subjects I'm taking (Ancient Greek, Italian, French, triple science, RS, core, and further maths haha).

Why are you taking 3 languages?
Original post by tej3141
Trust me. Going after school to work on my project was so chill. I'm kinda annoyed we didnt get to finish out project tho

Ikr! My class was small so we were really close, we used to buy food and play music when we stayed after school, I really miss yr11.
Oh thats sad, we finished ours and gave it in a week before lockdown

Original post by alexiia

Good luck!!!
Reply 11
Original post by alexiia

No problem! good luck:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79
DT is a good GCSE - I wouldn;t bother with level 2 FMaths it's better to get a grade 9 in Maths.

In my school, if you’re in set 1 it’s compulsory to do further maths.
Reply 13
Original post by tej3141
Why are you taking 3 languages?

I’ve taken quite and interest into Ancient Greek (and it’s a challenge). I am also interested in Italian and mostly do french to do Italian as there is a rule that you have to do another MFL to do Italian.
Original post by alexiia
In my school, if you’re in set 1 it’s compulsory to do further maths.

That's very disappointing ... it takes up time you need to use on your other GCSEs. Your parents could say no - they can't make you take it.
DT was real fun and classes were chill too cuz we mostly did practical work, theory isn't hard at all like you just need to memorise terms and processes but nothing complicated. As for exams I didn't revise much for the actual GCSE and still did fine but I'd say the harder questions were the drawing ones from what I remember.
Yr11 is where it starts to take up more of your time due to the coursework we had to do for our projects but it'll be a lot easier if you do small parts as you go along the course cuz it accumulates so manage your time well cuz I certainly didn't. The hardest part of the project was research and drafting ideas of what I wanted to make as I was indecisive but you'll have fun actually making it, staying after school sewing is definitely something I miss.
Overall it's a chill subject and a lot better than the other optional gcse subjects that I took, not hard but workload can be a lot if you don't leave time for it.
Reply 16
Original post by alexiia
Hi,

core subjects
further maths
DT
Ancient Greek
Italian
French
Triple Science
RS

Thanks!

Hey, I did GCSE DT, personally I HATED IT!!! That subject gave my so much unnecessary stress. However, if you are on top of all your deadlines, really really interested and dedicated to your project and willing to spend extra hours it probably will be fine for you.
Reply 17
Original post by Muttley79
That's very disappointing ... it takes up time you need to use on your other GCSEs. Your parents could say no - they can't make you take it.

Yeah, I guess. Although, the normal maths GCSE course is all taught in year 10, and then further maths in year 11, so it's incorporated into lesson time.
Original post by alexiia
Yeah, I guess. Although, the normal maths GCSE course is all taught in year 10, and then further maths in year 11, so it's incorporated into lesson time.

I'm not a fan of that ... you risk not getting a grade 9 in Maths.
Hey, I did GCSE DT (AQA so 50% coursework, 50% theory). Year 10 DT was probably my favourite lesson from my whole 5 years at school, we basically just made stuff and did a little bit of theory. I did miss half-ish year 10 and part of year 11 because of coronavirus so my experience was a bit different, but at my school we still did the full coursework until page 16 (out of 20). It can be hard work if you work hard, but most people in my class didn’t and were still getting 5-7s.

Theory is calm I guess it’s just like any other subject, only downside is you get less lesson time due to coursework taking up most of it. I found it kind of boring I guess but it’s not that bad, if you revise it’s pretty easy to get marks.

Hardest thing about coursework would be the idea probably? you need a client (luckily for me it was teenage lifestyle so I just used a friend) but it’s not that hard to find, depending on topic you might have to go a bit out of your way. Or maybe the text - a lot of writing to fill up blank space.

Overall I would say take it! I did love it, and you’ll be fine. Thousands of people take it every year and lots manage to get 9s so don’t worry, any grade is achievable with hard work. It was probably my favourite subject :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest