The Student Room Group

Engineering and IB DP Subject Combinations

Hey all!

I'm currently studying under the IB system which requires me to select 6 subjects that would determine my university course later. Here are my current combinations:

HL:
Math, Chemistry, Physics
SL:
Chinese B, English A, Business.

However, I am thinking of changing one of my HL science (phys or chem) to SL and Chinese to HL so I can get a higher score for my DP (Probably i will be changing my physics since im less proficient at it).

So my question is, will this affect me taking chemical engineering or mechanical engineering courses in the future? Am I still eligible for these engineering courses?

Thank you!
Reply 1
It could do, depends what university you would like to study at. I recommend you check the specific university / course requirements. I wouldn't drop Physics, since I'm pretty sure that'd be the most important subject of all for engineering - but I'm a humanities guy, so I'm not 100% :smile:
Reply 2
it sure is x.x but right now i have to spend alot of time in math and im not really comfortable in scoring for physics, so im afraid i have no time left to practice on my physics.

Universities im looking forward to are like NUS, hong kong poly or even universities in Canada or Australia.

by the way, i see some universities saying that a physics bridging module is required in the first year if a candidate goes for engineering courses with SL physics. Anyone have any idea if its going to be time-consuming or bad or something?
Reply 3
Original post by patrick455

Original post by patrick455
Hey all!

I'm currently studying under the IB system which requires me to select 6 subjects that would determine my university course later. Here are my current combinations:

HL:
Math, Chemistry, Physics
SL:
Chinese B, English A, Business.

However, I am thinking of changing one of my HL science (phys or chem) to SL and Chinese to HL so I can get a higher score for my DP (Probably i will be changing my physics since im less proficient at it).

So my question is, will this affect me taking chemical engineering or mechanical engineering courses in the future? Am I still eligible for these engineering courses?

Thank you!

Depends on the university of course. At the higher unis, you'll need both chem and phys at HL for Chem Eng and for definitely phys for Mech Eng however I don't know how other univesities abroad see them. Surely you could just go on their website and check? That is where all the answers will be and if you are still unsure, then call them for a definite answer as we can only speculate here :smile:
Reply 4
oh...sadly i dont think i have much time :s-smilie: i have to decide just within these few days and finalize it. Are higher DP scores more desirable or good combinations? xP

sry i know it still depends on universities but im just asking for opinions xD
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending