The Student Room Group

I want to learn sign language!

I think the skill/art of sign language is amazing and would love to learn. I am on my Gap Year, going away to Africa in 3 months so I can give it a go now!

Does anyone know of any good online courses or does anyone else share this passion to learn?
Reply 1
bump.
Reply 2
I'm learning sign language. Been thinking of learning it for a year now and finally I started about 4 weeks ago :smile:. Check your local college out, I learn at a local college, one day a week for 2 hours.
Reply 3
You will have to pick the version of sign language most relevant to you. Every major country has their own.
Reply 4
I'd recommend an actual course, rather than learning online - because it is a language after all, and so much easier to learn when you have people you can practise with! I'm starting a course in November (soo excited!)

Have a read of this: http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/supporting-you/improving-communication/~/media/Files/Leaflets/A0006%20Sign%20language%20leaflet.ashx
Reply 5
Thanks guys! Unfortunately I live on the Isle of Wight and cannot find any courses on the island, but I am trying to get one in Portsmouth.

For those you have started, how easy/difficult is it?
Reply 6
I just started BSL (British Sign) 3 weeks ago! I really enjoy it and it's not too difficult. For example, some hand gestures that you would do when talking to someone are signs for the same things. I'd say the most difficult aspect of it is the sentence rearranging. For example "What is your name?" would become "You name what?"

I'd highly recommend it though, such a good thing to have/do!
I started learning it today! It's so fun, we had a leafy from the local school for the hard of hearing and the whole two hour sessions was in silence, insane fun :-)

It's so worth it! Although I can't say much as I'm only one lesson in :-)
I know my vowels and the letter "H"

I can effectively say "Hi" but I think that's practically useless...

but yeah it seems like an awesome idea! :biggrin:
Reply 9
In Britian there is a board called Signature, they are the main people recognised by employers etc for british sign language courses and they are quite common so you should be able to find a course relatively nearby to you, they do a intro course (not essential) and then level 1, level 2, level 3 and level 4 courses that you can attend,

Ive done and passed level 1 and done level 2 (although was only able to pass 2 out of 3 units)

I would describe it as a very rewarding and refreshing alternative to languages and ive absolutely loved doing it, met some great people, had a real laugh and picked up an interesting and useful skill

so basically id so go for it, i guarantee it will be worth it! and if you ever need help then ask me and i will be happy to skype/help you :smile: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending