The Student Room Group

(Scottish Higher) Modern Studies... Help?

Hey. We're discussing pressure groups having an influence on the Parliament like, insider and outsider groups. Is anyone able to give examples or pressure groups having such an influence? Thanks.
Reply 1
Insider and outsider pressure groups change depending on which party is in power. As the Conservative party is currently in power then an insider group would be the Countryside Alliance. An outsider group are the Unions.

When the Labour party were in power, the Unions were an insider group and the Countryside Alliance an outsider group.

When Labour was in power, the Countryside Alliance failed to overturn the fox-hunting ban because they were an outsider group. Now that the Conservatives are in power the ban could well be lifted.
Reply 2
That will help for my essays & would be good to note down for when it comes to exam time :smile: Thank you :biggrin:
Friends of the Earth were an outsider group but have become an insider group recently is an example I used. Like the other guy said, Trade Unions becoming an outsider group is a good example to use as well.
Reply 4
Friends of the Earth, I'll note that down, I've never heard of them. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending