The Student Room Group

Top University Choices in Maths.

Greetings!
I am currently forumlating my 5 university choices to do Pure Maths (G100).
I have spent countless hours doing so and i've managed to narrow down the list ...and then make the list bigger. :tongue:
Okay so some background.
My best case scenario would be A*AA and worst case BBB. So that's 380pts to 300pts. In Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I'm also going to take the STEP exam.
I know it will be very hard to get into universities such as Oxbridge etc. So i have discounted them already.

So i'm using the Times Good Uni Guide and i've ranked all the universities and then picked the ones where i liked the course and where the entry grades are achiveable and with range.

At the moment the list includes: Nottingham, Sussex, Surrey, Exeter, Bristol, Loughborough, UEA and Kent.

I then looked at how these were ranked on the Maths tables, but they varied a lot. Newcastle is for example 42nd for Maths (Guardian) but 24th on GUG and 11ths for Times Overall. There is some similarities but not a great deal.

So my question really is: What are the best Universities (Academic wise) for Maths in the range 380-300pts? Or alternatively what Leauge table is the most appropiate?

I know that the replies will be opinions and views, but every little helps and will be most appriciated.

Much thanks. :smile:
Regards
Samkio
Reply 1
Personally I don't trust the Guardian table, but the GUG and times is really good

Have you considered Bath, Warwick, Imperial, UCL, Kings?
Reply 2
Original post by cpdavis
Personally I don't trust the Guardian table, but the GUG and times is really good

Have you considered Bath, Warwick, Imperial, UCL, Kings?

Hey thanls for the quick reply.
I need to have another look at Bath.
I went to Imperial open day and really disliked it. I prefer campus universities to city ones. :smile:
Also went to Warwick open day and really liked it. But i'm not sure i'll be able to get the grades. They want [A*(Maths). A*(FM) + A + STEP2] OR [A*(M) A(FM) A 1 ]. I think i could get an A* in Maths, but i don't think i'll be able to get A* in FM. (I got about 80% on FM at AS level). + I'm predicted A*AA.
Yeah i wasn't sure on the Guardian League tables either. Good to know Times an GUG are good. :smile:
Original post by Samkio

Original post by Samkio
Hey thanls for the quick reply.
I need to have another look at Bath.
I went to Imperial open day and really disliked it. I prefer campus universities to city ones. :smile:
Also went to Warwick open day and really liked it. But i'm not sure i'll be able to get the grades. They want [A*(Maths). A*(FM) + A + STEP2] OR [A*(M) A(FM) A 1 ]. I think i could get an A* in Maths, but i don't think i'll be able to get A* in FM. (I got about 80% on FM at AS level). + I'm predicted A*AA.
Yeah i wasn't sure on the Guardian League tables either. Good to know Times an GUG are good. :smile:

Warwick took several people who just missed their offers this year, so people (don't know whether all or just some) who got A*AA and a 2 in STEP still got in. If you're willing to try STEP then it's definitely worth applying. :smile:
Step is really aimed at students who get a* in fm. You may well find that by the end of working for step you are capable of getting that a*
Original post by IrrationalNumber

Original post by IrrationalNumber
Step is really aimed at students who get a* in fm. You may well find that by the end of working for step you are capable of getting that a*

Yes, this too. If you prepare for STEP well then A-Levels will seem pretty tame in comparison. :lol:
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice!
I will definately doing the STEP paper.
I have been having a look at the STEP 1 paper and working through some of the questions.
Is there a particular STEP exam to take? I think the STEP 2 paper uses Maths and FMaths content.
What would be the best one to do?
Original post by Samkio

Original post by Samkio
Thanks for the advice!
I will definately doing the STEP paper.
I have been having a look at the STEP 1 paper and working through some of the questions.
Is there a particular STEP exam to take? I think the STEP 2 paper uses Maths and FMaths content.
What would be the best one to do?

No, for Warwick you can take any paper. STEP II is still only normal A-Level maths content, only STEP III uses further maths content. I'd say that if you only plan on doing one paper go for STEP I as it usually seems the easiest, though that won't always be true. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by jameswhughes
No, for Warwick you can take any paper. STEP II is still only normal A-Level maths content, only STEP III uses further maths content. I'd say that if you only plan on doing one paper go for STEP I as it usually seems the easiest, though that won't always be true. :smile:

Ah okay. Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like i'll be doing STEP 1 then. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest