The Student Room Group

Best university for computer science

OK so I am currently doing a BTEC course in college which ends this year so I am looking at progressing onto university next September. My predicted grades are D*DD which will get me 380 UCAS points which is enough to get into any of the uni's that run the computer science course. I don't even want to think about going to Cambridge or Oxford but I am having trouble deciding some other uni's that could be a possibility for me. Does anybody have any advice, recommendations or tips on how to choose the right uni.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Dude, If you're getting D's now, University doesn't seem a wise choice... Just saying; it doesn't get easier.
Reply 2
D is equivalent to A...
Reply 3
Original post by Steverockin
Dude, If you're getting D's now, University doesn't seem a wise choice... Just saying; it doesn't get easier.

He's doing a BTEC you clot. D=Distinction
Reply 4
Apologies, excuse my ignorance. What about applying to Strathclyde? That's a great university for Computing Science - my brother did that there, he said it was hard though.
Reply 5
Not too keen on the idea of moving all the way to Scotland when there are uni's that are just as good in England. I would think about moving far away if there were no other options but there are a lot of uni's that run computer science which is why I'm having a hard time deciding.
Reply 6
Original post by JChristy
Not too keen on the idea of moving all the way to Scotland when there are uni's that are just as good in England. I would think about moving far away if there were no other options but there are a lot of uni's that run computer science which is why I'm having a hard time deciding.

Why do you not want to move away? Financial reasons? I can understand that.

Moving to Scotland could be nice, Glasgow a great city for partys and cheap alcohol. Plus Moving out and to a different country can really cater for personal development etc.
Reply 7
There's no 'top' University for CS in my opinion but a good few that are very good for CS and have a great reputation in the area.

The 'top' university in the end is probably down to personal opinion(aka if you like the department, location, etc).

From my research from 2 years ago when I applied and from information i've gathered of recent, the best Universities in CS are (excuse that I may have forgotten some or others may disagree...also i'm going on CS reputation rather than overall):
- Bristol
- Southampton
- York
- Edinburgh
- St Andrews
- Imperial
- Oxford
- Cambridge
- Sheffield
- Warwick
- Bath
Reply 8
To be honest, I think with something like Computer Science, what university you go to isn't as important as what you do outside of uni (well unless you can put Oxford/Cambridge on your CV!). If you want a good job go beyond what they teach you on your degree, do internships, help with open-source projects, keep up with technology, don't be one of those annoying, cocky coders etc. A 2:1 or first at any uni plus that extra work will be good enough to get a good job.

Go somewhere where you think you can learn and improve yourself at - and that's a decision only you can make based on your personality/circumstances.
Reply 9
Original post by EleanorD
To be honest, I think with something like Computer Science, what university you go to isn't as important as what you do outside of uni (well unless you can put Oxford/Cambridge on your CV!). If you want a good job go beyond what they teach you on your degree, do internships, help with open-source projects, keep up with technology, don't be one of those annoying, cocky coders etc. A 2:1 or first at any uni plus that extra work will be good enough to get a good job.

Go somewhere where you think you can learn and improve yourself at - and that's a decision only you can make based on your personality/circumstances.

If that was entirely the case, 'graduates perspectives' percentages would be evenly distributed across University tables.

As it stands, most of the top percentage come from good Universities.

But yes, i'd definitely agree what you do outside of University is far more important =). TBH, in terms of proper programming skills i don't think you really get great experience from Uni - you kind just touch on many languages rather than going into proper depth. I knew a lot more about Java programming before I started Uni than I do now looool, my knowledge has been disintegrating. Although yes i suppose I now know a bit about 5-6 others.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by EleanorD

Remember at a better uni it's a lot easier to get your foot in the door to do these things outside of uni. For example, in Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial they have the massive tech companies coming to hold recruitment events for their students several times each year.
Original post by Steverockin

Distinction you complete cretin :rolleyes:

York is very good for CS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending