The Student Room Group

IB or A levels.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
IB has been around since 1965 approximately and in now recently coming into action s I would (year11 atm) go against it and do A levels as most teachers now the spec and have been teaching it for X amount of years so you can get more help and resources such as past papers etc where as IB has recently really made any sort of impact and many teachers don't have much experience at teaching it so technically i personally think you have less resources/ help.
Original post by mad95
I'm quite interested in Psychology and my school are offering that in Group 3 so I would do that. I'm thinking of maybe even choosing a psychology based career in the future. As for the languages, I have a lot of Italian family so studying Italian would come in very handy. If not Italian then Spanish, which I've already been studying for 4 years or Japanese..which would be new. I would enjoy all the subjects I'd take at IB(bio,chem,maths,psych,eng lit and span/jap/ital) so that wouldn't bother me.

Alright, then I'd say go for it! :smile: You can do HL Bio, Chem and Psychology, SL Maths and 2 languages to have a wider range of options open. Though if you do Bio and Chem at A levels, they would be able to lead you down the Psychology pathway too. HL Maths is harder than A level Maths, so don't take it if you're not that interested in it.
Reply 42
Original post by Aman.G
IB has been around since 1965 approximately and in now recently coming into action s I would (year11 atm) go against it and do A levels as most teachers now the spec and have been teaching it for X amount of years so you can get more help and resources such as past papers etc where as IB has recently really made any sort of impact and many teachers don't have much experience at teaching it so technically i personally think you have less resources/ help.

Yes that's true. But I've heard it costs around £30 000 to set up IB at a school so surely the teachers are going to be trying really hard to make the students do the best they can in order to make it worth their time and money.
Reply 43
Original post by paperstars123
Alright, then I'd say go for it! :smile: You can do HL Bio, Chem and Psychology, SL Maths and 2 languages to have a wider range of options open. Though if you do Bio and Chem at A levels, they would be able to lead you down the Psychology pathway too. HL Maths is harder than A level Maths, so don't take it if you're not that interested in it.

Thats another thing which made me want to take IB. To do medicine at uni you have to do maths at a level but I'm not sure I'm good enough, but with IB I could take SL maths which I think I could manage with. Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!
Reply 44
Original post by mad95
Yes that's true. But I've heard it costs around £30 000 to set up IB at a school so surely the teachers are going to be trying really hard to make the students do the best they can in order to make it worth their time and money.

TRUE SAY :smile: but it costs the school 30,000 not the teachers so the teachers still get paid its like a business say i have got a private dental surgery it costs me 100k for a new x-ray system that comes from my pocket and even if i make a profit or loss the employees get paid the same amount of money
Reply 45
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
What on earth are you talking about?

Give me just one, single example of either a course or a career that makes such a requirement?

You cannot just make junk up and then post it as advice.

Well excuse me for trying to help :/ everyone makes mistakes, and i was just thinking what if some careers did require more than four subjects? i'm not making up junk, i'm being considerate. and you're just being way too harsh :/
Reply 46
Original post by Aman.G
TRUE SAY :smile: but it costs the school 30,000 not the teachers so the teachers still get paid its like a business say i have got a private dental surgery it costs me 100k for a new x-ray system that comes from my pocket and even if i make a profit or loss the employees get paid the same amount of money

Okay yeah, you're right again.
Original post by mad95
I do think if I concentrated on my future and the grades I want/need to get then I would be able to manage with the work load, but it is off-putting. Are you doing/did you do IB? If so, is the work manageable or is it hard keeping on top of it all and getting work in on deadlines etc.

If you're not entirely certain about medicine don't do it, it's too much stress to put yourself through if your heart isn't in it.
Reply 48
Original post by mad95
Thank you! That sounds really interesting, I love the whole idea of psychology and helping people by analyzing the mind through therapy and stuff. I'm now looking on the first link :smile:

so did you find anything? :smile:
Original post by Sammy95
Well excuse me for trying to help :/ everyone makes mistakes, and i was just thinking what if some careers did require more than four subjects? i'm not making up junk, i'm being considerate. and you're just being way too harsh :/

You are not helping if you make things up and then post them .... someone might think that you know what you are on about...

I will clarify.... No Career or Course Requires More Than 4 Subjects.

I am not being Harsh. I am being accurate.
Reply 50
Original post by Sammy95
so did you find anything? :smile:

Well I'm now taking some quiz thing to see what career I should take. I'm still thinking something bio/chem/psychology related though. Thank you for the link :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
You are not helping if you make things up and then post them .... someone might think that you know what you are on about...

I will clarify.... No Career or Course Requires More Than 4 Subjects.

I am not being Harsh. I am being accurate.

fine, then i'm sorry :frown:
Reply 52
Original post by mad95
Well I'm now taking some quiz thing to see what career I should take. I'm still thinking something bio/chem/psychology related though. Thank you for the link :smile:

hey post the quiz link! :biggrin: and no problem :biggrin:
Reply 53
Original post by Sammy95
hey post the quiz link! :biggrin: and no problem :biggrin:

https://nextstep.direct.gov.uk/PLANNINGYOURCAREER/SKILLSHEALTHCHECK/ASSESSMENTS/Pages/default.aspx Well I THINK it's to see what career you should take. It's called Skills Health Check though :s-smilie: It's pretty tedious.
Original post by mad95
What subject instead of physics would you recommend? I didn't take history at GCSE (wish I had now), otherwise I would've taken that. I guess it would be English Literature or Language or Psychology.

doesn't matter. history's completely different at IB
More than 6 subjects are in a lot of countries less than the amount of subjects students have to deal with to go to University, of course that doesn't necessarily means that the IB is an easy way to take and sadly it is often the best to take the easy way grade wise, thus A Level. But for Medicine you probably need the best grades in perhaps more than than the normal three A Levels, so it isn't perhaps not a big difference, exspecially if you are already quite fluent in a Language. (I didn't do IB, but I found it easier to do languages, exspecially the mother tongue, because you just have to read around, but don't have to learn anything new and complicated. So if you are talented in languages it shouldn't be too much additional work, exspecially if you like reading around anyway.)
In conclusion: Don't be put of by the amount of subjects, as long you like your six subjects, you'll be fine. It is a good preperation for university and allows you to work interdisciplinary (It is really difficult to write good abstracts without practise.).

Sorry for the errors, I am very tired.
Reply 56
TY for article, Sammy.

I am a high school student from Latvia and planning to go to the UK to study A-levels or the IB. I'm looking forward to studying in the UK uni, although I'm not sure about that. For that, I need to complete A-levels or the IB. So, here's the problem - which one should I choose? I am interested in politics, history, economics and philosophy and that is why the PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) course seems really interesting for me. But I'm still not sure that these are the things I really want to do. I'm also considering the literature as a subject and few others... I am sure that I want to do something creative in my future (probably, something with writing) and I'm sure it's not related with any of the experimental sciences (and I am not good at these subjects and that's why I have doubts about the IB group of the exp. sciences). So, do you recommend to do A-levels and take Government&Politics, Philosophy and Economcs (+Maths, English or History) or do the IB programme and see what happens? What would be the most suitable in the IB for the PPE course?
I am also wondering, how hard it would be for a foreign student to fulfill all academic requirments in HL English (IB)? What would be more suitable for the PPE - HL Maths and SL English or reversely?
And does anyone have a feedback about Sussex Coast College, Hastings? Thank You.

Kind regards, H.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by mad95
https://nextstep.direct.gov.uk/PLANNINGYOURCAREER/SKILLSHEALTHCHECK/ASSESSMENTS/Pages/default.aspx Well I THINK it's to see what career you should take. It's called Skills Health Check though :s-smilie: It's pretty tedious.

i've changed my mind and im gna do a levels :P
You dont have to take history at gcse to do so, I never did and I am currently on and predicted a 7!
Original post by mad95
I'm currently in Year 11 (studying Maths (2 GCSEs - Methods and Applications), English Lang & Lit, Art, Geography (fast track - finished), Spanish, RE, Biology, Chemistry and Physics (Triple Science) ) and debating whether to do A levels or IB at sixth form. I would like to do Medicine at university but I'm unsure whether I'd still want to in 2 years time, which is why I was drawn to IB as I would still have my options open and not be tied down by Chemistry/Biology/Maths A levels.

I've asked several teachers at my school (which offers both A levels and IB at it's sixth form) and have got mixed answers on what I should take. All of them I've asked have said I would do well in IB but they prefer A levels and think universities would too. Is this true? Which should I take in order to get into Medical School? A levels or IB?

If I was to take A levels I'm guessing I would have to take Chemistry, Biology, Maths and another subject...Physics maybe?

For IB I would take:
HL
Biology
Chemistry

SL
English Lit. (A1)

I am then undecided whether to take Maths at HL or SL. I am currently at an A grade at maths so I'm not sure whether I'm good enough to get a good grade at HL. I also don't know what second language to take. Either Spanish (which I'm taking at GCSE at the moment), Italian (which would come in useful as lots of my family are Italian) or Japanese. Lastly, I'm not sure what subject to take in the Individuals and Society group, either History or Psychology.

So basically, I was wondering..
1. To do medicine, should I take A levels or IB.
2. If I did A levels, if I did Chem, Bio and Maths..would I need to take Physics too.
3. What should I take if I did IB.

Thank you if you bothered to read all this and comments would be greatly appreciated!

Hey personally doing the IB and was going to A levels, it has been statistically proven that IB applicants for medicine graduate with a higher degree than others, also uni's love the IB as I know, have applied and received all my offers. Also everyone rants and think IB is so hard, it is not as long as you are determined to do well. P.s. my friends who have applied for med this year doing the IB, you can do SL maths and be fine with it, you do not have to do physics, bio and chem would be fine at HL if you are uncertain with maths HL, also unlike Alevels up till December of you joining you can switch subject within the IB to your preference and if they are your SL or HL's, if you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending