The Student Room Group

Cheap (relatively) under 10 grand, fast cars!

I was thinking about what cars can you get today for peanuts, but still goes like stink!

My grandad has got a Volvo 850 T5, the car that changed Volvo's image, its got a 2.3 turbocharged five pot (L5 for those techies), if ya nail it 50-70 it'll leave a Ferrari 512 (Testarossa) in its trail, and out the lights (in the dry) it'll give most BMWs a good run for its money.

Another I can think of is the E36 M3. I don't think any more is needed, just the M-Badge is enough.

I actually found that for under 10 grand you could get a 928 or a 911 (930), or a good Evo or Scooby.

Well, discuss and suggest more. I personally like the idea of a 911! but thats only coz I don't really like the E36 M3 (prefer the E30s and E46) or the Evo (too chav)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo, another 5 pot. Good ones are under 5 Grand, and they put out 220BHP
Reply 2
S3's are now available under 10k.
Other good deals can be found on 2.5 v6 180 MGZS, all MG 160s (and quite new)

Honda Integra's, Civic Type R's, Cupra R Leon, Volvo C70 T5, Lotus Elise + loads more depending on the speed.
I stuck this lot down as they are all pretty quick.
Reply 3
chaoringmeister
I was thinking about what cars can you get today for peanuts, but still goes like stink!

My grandad has got a Volvo 850 T5

http://www.turbobricks.com/feature.php?content=spring_05 :cool:
Reply 4
Or something totally different.........how about a kit car? I built a lotus 7 replica with a bike engine a couple of years ago, 8 grand to build and 0-60 in 4.5ish sec. Obviously not very practical (no roof, no windscreen), but for that kind of pace its pretty damn cheap. Best thing about it is all the brakes etc are ford/vw bits so are easy and cheap to find, and being so light it even averaged 35+ mpg on long A road runs. Insurace is cheap, was only £150 fully comp for my dad (although limited to 5000 miles/yr). Car weighed 460kg will full tank of fuel at sva, and being so light it not only goes like hell in a straight line but is just like a big go cart in the twisty bits. Definately a good candidate for a fair weather / trackday car, not so good for going to work in on a winter morning.
Reply 5
My Nissan 200SX S14a is currently running 260bhp, I'm 19 and it only cost me £1,550 to insure :biggrin:
Reply 6
beeniemac
My Nissan 200SX S14a is currently running 260bhp, I'm 19 and it only cost me £1,550 to insure :biggrin:

How did you manage that :confused:

What insurance are you with..
Audi S3?
Reply 8
Rover 620 Ti, between £500-£1500 to purchase, runs 200bhp as standard, easily modded up to 220bhp.

Looks like a standard saloon, but will whip most cars butt and insurance is generally cheap on them too.
Volkswagon Golf 32 TDi
Reply 10
shauniemac
Volkswagon Golf 32 TDi

What's that?
Reply 11
I think he meant Volkswagen Golf TDi, rather than Volkswagon :wink:

Besides, it isn't exactly fast at 138bhp.
beeniemac

Sounds good man, what sort of turbo are you running? Did you have it dyno'd at that or is it an estimate? Ever taken it to a track (drag strip)?

If I had to buy a car and leave it alone for <£10G, it'd probably be an Lancer Evo or Scooby.

Personally, I'd like a project car to do. It'd be best to buy a car someone has already started and done the basics. They get fed up with it or run out of money and I start where they left off. I like the idea of a supercharged MX-5 with at least 250hp.

I'd seriously consider importing a car from the US. £10,000 gets you a whole lot of dollars to play with. And $15,000 can get you a whole lot of car over there. For $15,000 I could get a twin turbo'd 5.0 Mustang pushing over 650bhp easily and fully streetable. The couple of grand left over can be used to import it. Again, not very practical for everyday use.
I saw a couple of old Alpina B10s for around 5 grand the other day
Reply 14
snmichaels
I'd seriously consider importing a car from the US. £10,000 gets you a whole lot of dollars to play with. And $15,000 can get you a whole lot of car over there. For $15,000 I could get a twin turbo'd 5.0 Mustang pushing over 650bhp easily and fully streetable. The couple of grand left over can be used to import it. Again, not very practical for everyday use.

I thought the Mustang costs about £16k to buy in America? Anyway, if it is 10k, unfortunately you'd also have to pay a rather substantial amount of import duty (another few thousand). All together it works out at about £20k (golf GTI or a mustang... hard choice).

For 10k, I'd probably go for something German (Porsche), or Italian (Alfa). Or possibly try to find an old Jag XJS...
It would have to be a Ferrari Mondial for me. http://www.cs.unc.edu/~keller/cars/Pictures.html

You can get one of these bad boys for £7500 - £10,000 depending on year / condition.
Reply 16
They're nice. But maintaince costs will hurt you
Civic Type-R, insurance will be a killer though.
Reply 18
Madmanjock
It would have to be a Ferrari Mondial for me. http://www.cs.unc.edu/~keller/cars/Pictures.html

You can get one of these bad boys for £7500 - £10,000 depending on year / condition.

Really ugly though. And expensive to run, as OMGWTF says.
Dickie
Really ugly though. And expensive to run, as OMGWTF says.

I admit the expense, but ugly? Maybe in silver, but in red they are t3h sex :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending