The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Studying at the Open University

I am considering study at the OU and was wondering whether it was mandatory to pay £700 (per syllabus) to study the 'level one' and 'level two' etc in order to study at an undergraduate level if previous qualifications have already been attained elsewhere?

I already have 5 GCSEs A-C and by the end of this year I will [hopefully] have attained 2 A/S Levels. Would the previous allow me to bypass 'level one' or 'level two' - which I assume are equivalent to GCSE and A Level in terms of difficulty?
Reply 1
By undergraduate level, I presume you are talking about working towards a full degree with the OU? If you just want to study random courses, I wouldn't recommend going straight for Level 3, as they are more designed for students who have got used to the OU style of learning through doing Level 1 and 2 previously.

If you only have GCSEs and A Levels and you satisfy the income criteria, you will get financial support, so you won't have to pay the full course cost. Depending on the course cost, you may get the entire thing paid for. When it refers to previous qualifications preventing you from getting financial support, it means you won't qualify for it if you already have an undergraduate degree or higher :smile:

Level 1 is roughly equivalent to the foundation year and first year study of an undergraduate degree at university. Level 2 is roughly equivalent to the second year of an undergraduate degree.

If you want to study for a full degree with the OU, most people use 120 points at Level 1, 120 points at Level 2 and 120 points at Level 3 to complete one. Some of the named degrees require you to take certain courses, so you can't really bypass Level 1 or 2 unless you're transferring credit from elsewhere :smile: If you're a new student, I definitely wouldn't recommend bypassing them - they really help to ease you in to independent learning.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by alawhisp
By undergraduate level, I presume you are talking about working towards a full degree with the OU? If you just want to study random courses, I wouldn't recommend going straight for Level 3, as they are more designed for students who have got used to the OU style of learning through doing Level 1 and 2 previously.

If you only have GCSEs and A Levels and you satisfy the income criteria, you will get financial support, so you won't have to pay the full course cost. Depending on the course cost, you may get the entire thing paid for. When it refers to previous qualifications preventing you from getting financial support, it means you won't qualify for it if you already have an undergraduate degree or higher :smile:

Level 1 is roughly equivalent to the foundation year and first year study of an undergraduate degree at university. Level 2 is roughly equivalent to the second year of an undergraduate degree.

If you want to study for a full degree with the OU, most people use 120 points at Level 1, 120 points at Level 2 and 120 points at Level 3 to complete one. Some of the named degrees require you to take certain courses, so you can't really bypass Level 1 or 2 unless you're transferring credit from elsewhere :smile: If you're a new student, I definitely wouldn't recommend bypassing them - they really help to ease you in to independent learning.

Thanks for shedding some light and a new perspective. May I ask what you mean about wanting to study 'random' courses?

I was referring to working towards a full degree at the OU.

I was under the impression that Level 1 and 2 were equivalent to GCSE/A-Levels as many of the students who opt for OU have no formal qualifications/don't have adequate grades (of course there are many exceptions).

I have read the level 1 and 2 syllabus leading upto the PPE Y177 for example, is one of the reccomended at level one, and seems rather basic, the alternatives - expensive for someone in my financial position at present.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by feverism
Thanks for shedding some light and a new perspective. May I ask what you mean about wanting to study 'random' courses?

I was referring to working towards a full degree at the OU.

I was under the impression that Level 1 and 2 were equivalent to GCSE/A-Levels as many of the students who opt for OU have no formal qualifications/don't have adequate grades (of course there are many exceptions).

I have read the level 1 and 2 syllabus leading upto the PPE Y177 for example, is one of the reccomended at level one, and seems rather basic, the alternatives - expensive for someone in my financial position at present.

By random courses I just mean picking and choosing courses that look interesting with no real long term study goal or aim, I've known quite a few people who take courses just for the educational experience but aren't bothered about getting an eventual qualification :smile:

Level 1 courses are sort of like preparation for the style of studying with the OU, and preparation for university level study in general.. They are not very difficult if you have done A Levels, as they are designed for people with no qualifications. They are however useful and interesting, and you do learn some important things. Depending on the degree you choose, they can be a good way of getting yourself into the subject - for example, I am doing the Law LLB, and I did W100, a Level 1 Law course, despite having A Levels.. It helped to lay the groundwork for the Level 2 courses I went on to study.

Level 2 is definitely not equivalent to GCSE or A Level. There is a big step up in difficulty, and an even bigger step up to Level 3. You can complete a degree and have it purely be made up of Level 2 and Level 3 courses if you wish, but that seems like a more stressful way of doing it, especially as 120 points of your degree will not count towards your overall classification.

Sorry, I'm not sure what PPE is - are you referring to BA (Honours) Politics, Philosophy and Economics?

For financial support, I can't quite remember the maximum yearly award, but I think it's around £1200 (if you're doing 90+ points). If you're doing an expensive course, such as Business or Law, they can give you extra financial support. The fee system is changing from September 2012 onwards though, which is something to keep in mind :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by feverism
I am considering study at the OU and was wondering whether it was mandatory to pay £700 (per syllabus) to study the 'level one' and 'level two' etc in order to study at an undergraduate level if previous qualifications have already been attained elsewhere?

I already have 5 GCSEs A-C and by the end of this year I will [hopefully] have attained 2 A/S Levels. Would the previous allow me to bypass 'level one' or 'level two' - which I assume are equivalent to GCSE and A Level in terms of difficulty?

If you haven't finished your A-Levels yet then I assume you won't be starting with the OU until next year, when the fees increase dramatically and the financial support system changes over from non-repayable grants to loans, the same as a brick uni. The fees will increase to £5,000 for 120 points (so a 60 point module will be £2,500 and a 30 point module will be £1,250). The loans would be the same as those at a brick university - so you don't start to repay them until you're earning over £21,000.

If you manage to start in January or February 2012 then you should be able to start with the current fees and be on the 'transitional arrangements', so you'd be entitled to pay the lower fees in the usual way (grants, upfront payment, OUSBA account) as long as you finish your degree before 2017.

As already said, level 1 and 2 are not equal to GCSEs and A-Levels respectively. Level 1 modules can start off very basic and in many cases they do cover GCSE and A-Level material, but the difficulty jumps up from level 1 to 2, and apparently even more so at level 2 to 3 (I start my level 3s in February next year, so we'll see!).
Reply 5
Original post by Kate.

Original post by Kate.
As already said, level 1 and 2 are not equal to GCSEs and A-Levels respectively. Level 1 modules can start off very basic and in many cases they do cover GCSE and A-Level material, but the difficulty jumps up from level 1 to 2, and apparently even more so at level 2 to 3 (I start my level 3s in February next year, so we'll see!).

Yes, level 3 is a lot worse than level 2!
Reply 6
Rung up today, and had a natter with someone from Student Services, which has created a lot more clarity, as have the replies to this thread - Thanks for all the responses guys.

One thing that I have realised is that the courses on the OU are completely unique to any other qualifications at the first two levels, and are neither equivalent to GCSEs or A Levels.

I am actually wanting to start this year, despite being slightly younger than the majority and this will hopefully mean that support (financially) will be easier.

I will update on my progress.

Quick Reply

Latest