The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot-Watt applicants for 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Till when do they have Easter Holidays and start considering applications again?
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Reply 321
Does anyone know if heriot watt business management is well respected within industry?

I have an offer from UEA also which I presumed would have been a better university but it ranks 32nd for business compared with 16th for HW. Really wanting to know the answer to this question before I firm the offer. :s-smilie:
Reply 322
Original post by Kost_119
Till when do they have Easter Holidays and start considering applications again?

The students are on holiday now until a week on Monday, but the department staff should still be fully open. You need to contact them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 323
Original post by flapurwings
Sure will :smile: If I get the grades, I'm pretty sure I will try to get into second year but I have firmed my 1st year entry at the moment...(-you're right,2nd year does sound good!) I was scared about not having any friends either, but it's good to know that someone else is in the same position as me :smile: Is it MEng Chemical Engineering you applied for?

Sounds great :biggrin: I applied for BEng Chemical Engineering...but I think we'll still have the same classes...right?

Also...do we still get to go to fresher's week with second year entry? Sucks that the people we meet won't be in our year though!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SS*
Sounds great :biggrin: I applied for BEng Chemical Engineering...but I think we'll still have the same classes...right?

Also...do we still get to go to fresher's week with second year entry? Sucks that the people we meet won't be in our year though!

Hopefully! It would be nice to know someone :smile: I'm not too sure, I hope so! Not sure when the 2nd year students start...?
Anyone doing psychology at hw? What highers did you do and is a high grade in sg maths essential?
Original post by Essex1875
Does anyone know if heriot watt business management is well respected within industry?

I have an offer from UEA also which I presumed would have been a better university but it ranks 32nd for business compared with 16th for HW. Really wanting to know the answer to this question before I firm the offer. :s-smilie:

HW Business & Economics department is ranked 4th in the UK behind Oxbridge & LSE. (Guardian University Guide). I don't really pay attention to Uni rankings but employers do...

HW is supposed to have great industry links and a really good Business & Economics society which is why I am going there.

Make sure you check out both Uni's & courses thoroughly before making the decision :smile:
Think I'm definitely firming Actuarial at HW.
Reply 328
Well I visited HW on Friday. Was impressed its a lovely campus. My family is from Edinburgh and I love the city which is another plus. Two worries thought that I have:

Accomodation - being an English student the results come out later than the scottish ones. This means everyone will be applying for accomodation before me. I'm worried I'm gonna het left with the worst rooms. They said that they leave a certain amount of each type of room for the proportion of English students applied but I'm unsure how believable this is!
Second year entry - spoke to the lady who did the business talk and she said that as I did business and economics at a level it wouldnt be a problem coming in at second year. But I'm still a little worried, don't wanna be way behind everyone?

Hiya,
I just want to remind you that you shouldnt focus too much on university rankings. If you look at different rankings each university will appear somewhere different. What matters is what you get once you have joined the course, always aim high! The UEA business center has recently been refurbished and is really well respected. So before accepting anything, ask yourself if you would actually like to live there for 3 years, if it is somewhere you like the feel of?
Good luck with your choice :-)
They said that they leave a certain amount of each type of room for the proportion of English students applied but I'm unsure how believable this is!

It seems pretty legit. I'm sure I read that they guarantee 1st year students accommodation.
Reply 331
Original post by hollysarah
Anyone doing psychology at hw? What highers did you do and is a high grade in sg maths essential?

i have a conditional offer for psychology at hw, i did higher graphics, art, maths and geography but only passed 2 in the end, and i think you would need sg maths at a grade 3? i hope it helps :smile:
Announcement likely in the next hour.
Reply 333
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Announcement likely in the next hour.

Announcement regarding what?
Announcement regarding what?

That I just put Heriot-Watt as my firm choice.
Reply 335
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
That I just put Heriot-Watt as my firm choice.

Why would you make an announcement for that?
Reply 336
Why would you make an announcement for that?

Many people do. This thread and similar are about institution information and application progress.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 337
Original post by grazie
Many people do. This thread and similar are about institution information and application progress.

Yeah okay, i get that. But still, he made an announcement about an announcement, isn't that too much? Anyways, Mr. Danger Mouse, i am happy for you:smile:
Reply 338
lol u people so funny... HW has been my firm (in my desire) since the day i did my ucas.

i was on my mail account the time ucas sent me the status update email. i immediately login to ucas and firmed HW. and that was nearly 3 months ago.

anyway i am still happy for u mr danger mouse. :smile:
Yeah okay, i get that. But still, he made an announcement about an announcement, isn't that too much? Anyways, Mr. Danger Mouse, i am happy for you:smile:

I have to agree with you. Announcing an announcement seems a bit excessive.
What helped you make up your mind, mr. Dangermouse? I'm still unsure between Heriot-Watt uni and uni of Strathclyde.

Quick Reply

Latest