The Student Room Group

What is the point in advanced highers?

Like the title asks, whats the point in advanced highers other than getting into english unis or maybe qualifying you for 2nd year entry into a scottish uni. Do employers even think they're useful and are they useful for someone who didn't want to go to uni.:confused:
Well, you mention in your post English unis and 2nd year entry for Scottish unis, which are big advantages. They can also act as a bridge between school and uni in a way, since most of them have a project or dissertation of some sort which will require independent research and work. Beyond that? If you like the subject, then they're interesting and worthwhile in their own right, and they're extra qualifications anyway. I don't know what employers think of them really.
Reply 2
Original post by jordan0141
Like the title asks, whats the point in advanced highers other than getting into english unis or maybe qualifying you for 2nd year entry into a scottish uni. Do employers even think they're useful and are they useful for someone who didn't want to go to uni.:confused:

Don't know what employers think about them, perhaps for specific areas or jobs it migh tbe useful. You sometimes get certain companies that have their own sort of training scheme so i guess if it was a computing type firm an Adv Higher in Computing may help you get on the course or sommething.

As mentioned above they are good for bridging the gap between school and uni so that when you go to uni things are generally easier.

Another reason may be for people who don't want to go to uni to study to a higher level. By this i mean that Advanced higher lets them study the subject in more depth ( obv not that much more but still ) without going to uni and might be useful if the want to pursue a career in certain areas
Reply 3
Thanks for the feedback :P, I'm studying advanced highers right now and i just think whats the point sometimes :s-smilie:
Reply 4
My university's Mathematics department requires them as part of their standard offer. So if you want to go to Warwick I guess they're useful.
Reply 5
I'm only doing adv maths & physics in preparation for Uni really..... and because they're fun.
Reply 6
I'm doing Adv. History and I don't think I could do the course if I didn't like it. I have to do it as a twilight so if I didn't enjoy it; it'd be hell. Fortunately my teacher is good and the subject is interesting enough.
Original post by Inlineadam
I'm only doing adv maths & physics in preparation for Uni really..... and because they're fun.

adv physics was the bane of my life:nooo:
Reply 8
I'm sitting AH maths and Computing currently, my school is rather small - and unacademic - maths is the only AH offered as a result. I'm doing the Computing 2 periods a week at a nearby school, AH's are difficult enough without only getting 2 out of 5 periods of teaching, however it is a subject i am interested in continuing to uni to i am persevering for now :biggrin:

If you plan to go onto university then you will most certainly need AH's if your applying down south. Up here they are more suited for those of us who did well in our 5th year and instead of wasting a year doing Highers which dont interest yourself you can choose to continue studying the subjects that really interest you. They seem to prepare you well for first year university also since the degree of work is quite high for them. From visiting open days im told that you can get exemptions from certain first year exams since you already know the stuff from your own AH work; thus they make your first year abit easier - which i think is the most attractive reason for taking them!
Employability wise i couldn't say, though i would imagine they sound more impressive than "Highers", since not many people in scotland elect to take AH's they would also give you an edge on the competition which is important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending