The Student Room Group

If you're rich you buy an iPhone, if you're poor you buy an Android and if you're...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by burgergetsbored
lololo if you can sell an iphone 3G for close to £300... well done, as most go for about £100 - £150.....

In May-June 2009. I think the idea is you sell just before upgrading. Don't think everyone would do that though
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by estel
So many awful fanboys :emo:

Luckily for myself, I'm in the correct camp to be a fan boy :biggrin:
Reply 62
I have an iPhone, am not particulary rich, and I'm an Asian girl :-/
Original post by Vazzyb
In May-June 2009. I think the idea is you sell just before upgrading. Don't think everyone would do that though

haha not something to go posting in a October 2011 thread then! Yeah to be fair they have a good re-sale value, but people don't take that it costs more to begin with into consideration.
Reply 64
Original post by University Snob
Most people dont buy android because of the 'presence of an open app market' or the flexibility of android OS...they just look at the price.

I did. The price was also a factor, but the iPhone and Blackberries have never appealed to me.
Reply 66
"the only thing I like black is normally underneath me with a big fat ass. and the only thing I want berryed is my face in her ass."

~ Andrew Dice Clay on BlackBerrys.
Reply 67
I guess im poor then...
Reply 68
To be honest it's more about the features for me and I'm not "rich".
I like blackberrys because my nails can't handle the IPhone screen.
I like IPhones because I love how much stuff you can do with the thing!!
Both have decent music players but IPhone's is a little better and Blackberrys are a lot louder so..
-confused-
Still haven't figured out which one I'm gonna buy.
OMG and the HTC!! =[
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
I got a blackberry simply to make my life easier, I don't use bbm, I have about 3 contacts :P 2 of which are family!
Reply 70
And if you're me and never even realised what type of phone you have defines you as a person.... you have a Nokia N8 :ninja:

The quality of the pics is awesome! :biggrin:
Reply 71
Im so glad you brought that up!

Lets assess the merits of buying three iphones or three androids.

Androids cost about £400

HTC Desire - £400 upfront. Sold for £150.
HTC Desire HD - £250 extra ( 150 + 250 = 400 ). Sold for £150.
Samsung Galaxy ii - £250 extra ( 150 + 250 = 400) etc...

Over three phones you spend £900.

iPhones cost £450-£500

iPhone 3G - £450, Sells for close to £300
iPhone 3GS - £150 extra, Sells for close to £300
iPhone 4 - £200 extra,

Over three phones you spend £800.

The point is....iPhones have fantastic re sell value!!! Android's dont. Over many phones, you dont actually lose much money with an iPhone!!

So when you're talking about financial sense and comparing like for like (we're not comparing the Wildfire to the iPhone, but something like the S2) iPhone is a winner!

Your price estimates are wayyyyy out. Knock off £150 at least from the total and even that is a top end estimate. Add to the fact that iphone owners are compulsive upgraders and you get fairly rapid depreciation. My friend offered my his 3G for £50.
Reply 72
If you're rich you buy an iPhone, if you're poor you buy an Android and if you're smart you buy a £20 phone and have fun with the several hundred pound you saved.
Reply 73
Im so glad you brought that up!

Lets assess the merits of buying three iphones or three androids.

Androids cost about £400

HTC Desire - £400 upfront. Sold for £150.
HTC Desire HD - £250 extra ( 150 + 250 = 400 ). Sold for £150.
Samsung Galaxy ii - £250 extra ( 150 + 250 = 400) etc...

Over three phones you spend £900.

iPhones cost £450-£500

iPhone 3G - £450, Sells for close to £300
iPhone 3GS - £150 extra, Sells for close to £300
iPhone 4 - £200 extra,

Over three phones you spend £800.

The point is....iPhones have fantastic re sell value!!! Android's dont. Over many phones, you dont actually lose much money with an iPhone!!

So when you're talking about financial sense and comparing like for like (we're not comparing the Wildfire to the iPhone, but something like the S2) iPhone is a winner!

Dude, your numbers make no sense.
Reply 74
i have iphone 3gs, which although i like i regret spending £400 on and will never again. i shall run it into the ground and then bury it with myself when i die to use it some more :smile:
Reply 75
Haha. I don't give a toss that my phone doesn't have 3G or any apps or anything fancy - as long as it lets me stay in contact with the important people in my life and get me out of a '****, no money for the bus' sort of situation, it's all good.

I'd never be able to justify spending anything more than ~£25 on a phone, but then that's just me and my desire to have enough money to pay for food to, you know, survive. Just because people like me 'can't even afford an Android' doesn't mean smartphone owners are automatically superior.

God, I hate the prestige something as small as a phone can carry. >,o
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by x-sweety-x
you are completely right, I was watching something with with a boy on job seekers ( but did not want a job) using tax payers money to pay for his IPhone contract and other similar materialistic things associated with "the rich" I was shocked and he was not even ashamed.

I know. I don't ever look at someone with an iphone and say oooh how rich :daydream:

Becasue that would be a load of ****
Original post by estel
So many awful fanboys :emo:

Brings a tear to my eye too estel :sad:

I say we technologically cleanse the forum now!!!!!!!

GET YOUR DROIDS AT THE READY MEN! :sparta:
I have a Sony Ericsson... What does that make me? :confused:
Original post by Genocidal
Since this is the stereotype thread I've always attributed the Blackberry to chavs.

Just what exactly are you saying about 60% of my FB friends?! :eyeball:
And if you aren't sad enough to spend unnecessary amounts of cash on a novelty item you buy a sony ericcsson.
:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest