The Student Room Group

Neighbour Loud Music complaints

Dear TSR,
I've had a new set of neighbours move in downstairs, and now, daily, at around 4 or 5pm they come knocking at my door demanding that I turn my music down..

The music is at about half volume most of the time (It can go much, much louder), and it's 5pm for gods sake.

Our last set of neighbours would have parties with music full blast from friday evening to sunday morning non stop (We were speculating as to what drugs they were taking to have them going for so long every weekend).

Have these neighbours got a leg to stand on? From my point of view they're being a nuisance. I can't see any reason at all that I shouldn't listen to loud-ish music during the day. Am I meant to work out to no music (or music that's barely audiable) just because they've got a problem with it?

Is anybody in the same boat as me?

It's not like I'm having wild parties all the time (My 18th is coming up, I wonder how they're going to take that :P) - Do you think I should be less considerable and stop turning down the music each time they ask? (They knock on my door every single day).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If they're bothering to knock on your door every single day then your music is too loud, regardless on how loud your stereo goes.

You don't need music on loudly enough to disturb you neighbours in order to work out. Think of it from their point of view, they have to come and ask you to turn it down every single day. It must be bothering them an awful lot for that to happen.

When you live in your own self-contained house, have your music as loud as you like. While you're living in close proximity to other people you have to be reasonable.
Reply 2
Do you think being "less considerable" is the answer? Does it never cross your mind that it must be a problem for them or they wouldn't constantly speak to you about it.

Why don't you go to their room to see what it's like at their end? When I'm in the gym at work I can barely hear the music but if I am walking towards the gym I can hear the music even though there are 3 rooms between me and it. The sound carries much further than you think.

Be considerate.
Reply 3
Yeah, I have music on to what I think is an acceptable volume in this house, where I can hear everything clearly, and I go downstairs in the kitchen, and I can still hear it
Reply 4
Try not to have the bass speaker(s) on the ground, or just turn the bass down. Make sure windows and doors are closed as they let a lot of sound through when open.
Half volume is generally pretty loud - my speakers are on 1/3 most of the time and they're plenty loud enough + they're not even that powerful compared to most stereo speakers.
Original post by Xarren
Dear TSR,
I've had a new set of neighbours move in downstairs, and now, daily, at around 4 or 5pm they come knocking at my door demanding that I turn my music down..

The music is at about half volume most of the time (It can go much, much louder), and it's 5pm for gods sake.

Our last set of neighbours would have parties with music full blast from friday evening to sunday morning non stop (We were speculating as to what drugs they were taking to have them going for so long every weekend).

Have these neighbours got a leg to stand on? From my point of view they're being a nuisance. I can't see any reason at all that I shouldn't listen to loud-ish music during the day. Am I meant to work out to no music (or music that's barely audiable) just because they've got a problem with it?

It's not like I'm having wild parties all the time (My 18th is coming up, I wonder how they're going to take that :P) - Do you think I should be less considerable and stop turning down the music each time they ask? (They knock on my door every single day).

+ rep.

Sick of neighbors complaining about a tiny bit of noise, when they could be in way worse situations.

My current neighbor hates me, but never reports my loud music (I have a home theater system set up, with 2 subs :biggrin:) as he has a dog in his appartment. Dogs aren't allowed, so should he ever report me, he gets reported. Know what I mean? :cool:

I never play music past 9pm anyway... And I don't play it earlier than at 10:30-11am on weekends either.

Some people need to learn to amuse themselves.

I wish we were neighbors OP, you are welcome to play music as loud as you want.
Reply 6
Original post by Xarren
Dear TSR,

Turn it down.

Headphones are your friend.

For all you know they could work nights/have young children etc. etc.

You don't need to have your music loud to enjoy it.
Reply 7
Original post by Xarren
Dear TSR,

It seems to me that you're the one who is anti-social. If you continue playing your music loudly then they have every right to report you for statutory nuisance. This means you will be issued with a noise abatement order, and if you continue with your bad behaviour, you will loose your hi-fi and have to pay a fine. Also they could if they wish take out an injunction against you on the grounds of your unreasonable annoying behaviour, and if you continue playing loud music then it becomes a criminal offense. Finally you will probably be evicted. So my advice to you would be to ask them what volume would be acceptable to them or better still invest in portable ear phones. Ear phones allow you to play your music as loud as you like without disturbing your neighbours.:wink: Simples
Reply 8
It shouldn't matter what time of the day it is, loud music is inexcusable. I'm having a giant problem with my neighbours over this. His bass is so deep it makes my wall vibrate and has knocked two rather expensive wine glasses off my desk through it.

If I want loud music I put my earphones in an deafen myself, people don't need to put up with my music, even more so on public transport, he same goes the other way, I don't want to listen to your gangsta rap, I don't care much for your dubstep ****.

Just turn it down or put some earphones in.
Reply 9
Original post by PwnArtist
It shouldn't matter what time of the day it is, loud music is inexcusable. I'm having a giant problem with my neighbours over this. His bass is so deep it makes my wall vibrate and has knocked two rather expensive wine glasses off my desk through it.

If I want loud music I put my earphones in an deafen myself, people don't need to put up with my music, even more so on public transport, he same goes the other way, I don't want to listen to your gangsta rap, I don't care much for your dubstep ****.

Just turn it down or put some earphones in.

No one said anything about loud music.

It's barely audible when I'm in my kitchen next door.. It certainly wouldn't make a glass drop, even if it was placed on the speakers themselves.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Jamjar
It seems to me that you're the one who is anti-social. If you continue playing your music loudly then they have every right to report you for statutory nuisance. This means you will be issued with a noise abatement order, and if you continue with your bad behaviour, you will loose your hi-fi and have to pay a fine. Also they could if they wish take out an injunction against you on the grounds of your unreasonable annoying behaviour, and if you continue playing loud music then it becomes a criminal offense. Finally you will probably be evicted. So my advice to you would be to ask them what volume would be acceptable to them or better still invest in portable ear phones. Ear phones allow you to play your music as loud as you like without disturbing your neighbours.:wink: Simples

Once again - Who said anything about playing the music loudly?

Evicted from a flat I own? Somehow I can't see that happening..

And do I not have a right to listen to music? From my point of view, it is them harassing me over an activity I enjoy doing. And how is playing music bad behaviour? I see music as an everyday part of life. I should have the freedom to do what I want in my own house, including listening to music, and not be terrorised by some overzealous neighbours..

As far as I'm aware, it only becomes statutory nuisance if it is unreasonable. I would find listening to music at 4pm a perfectly reasonable activity. They have also complained when I was watching movies / TV.
Reply 11
Ah I don't agree with that. Headphones aren't good if you like sound to be blasting out like me. The sound quality tends to be better, and feels fuller on a good system.
Certainly wouldn't like to be forced to wear them all the time except at night.

On the plus side, seeing as you don't seem to be having it too loud by law, they can't call the police until its past around 10-11pm I don't think, with the music still full blast.

Personally, I'd be tempted to knock on their door if you even hear the faintest of sounds.
Original post by Xarren

It's barely audible when I'm in my kitchen next door.. It certainly wouldn't make a glass drop, even if it was placed on the speakers themselves.

If you neighbour is coming to complain about your music, then it's too loud. You may not have mentioned it per say but it is what you're getting complained about.

No-one would complain about your taste of music, because that's your own opinion and complains of that nature can and should ignored but that is not what you are saying in your OP.
Reply 13
Original post by Kage
Ah I don't agree with that. Headphones aren't good if you like sound to be blasting out like me. The sound quality tends to be better, and feels fuller on a good system.
Certainly wouldn't like to be forced to wear them all the time except at night.

On the plus side, seeing as you don't seem to be having it too loud by law, they can't call the police until its past around 10-11pm I don't think, with the music still full blast.

Personally, I'd be tempted to knock on their door if you even hear the faintest of sounds.

Yeah I'm tempted to just tell them to call the cops if they have an issue.

Thing is, if they didn't knock on my door I wouldn't have guessed there is anyone living below me. It's like they tiptoe around, and never speak. They've also complained about me having loud sex... During the day. I can understand how loud sex can be annoying if you're trying to sleep, but at about 7pm?
Reply 14
Original post by PwnArtist
If you neighbour is coming to complain about your music, then it's too loud. You may not have mentioned it per say but it is what you're getting complained about.

No-one would complain about your taste of music, because that's your own opinion and complains of that nature can and should ignored but that is not what you are saying in your OP.

So just because someone is complaining about it that means they are right and it is too loud? I've never ever had a neighbour complain before in my life.. It can't mean that they are totally oversensitive?
It may not be loud to you but noise travels well through walls and floors. I used to live in a flat and when my neighbours had music on it was the same volume in my flat as it was in there. Next time they moan keep the music on and ask to hear what it sounds like in their flat.
Put yourself in their shoes. No one wants their movie night or whatever it is to be ruined. Be a bit more considerate for others? I often listen to music at what i feel to be a reasonable volume and I've never had people complain...

Course, my music is epic but that's not the point....

-J
Original post by Xarren

If they can hear it clearly enough to be able to complain about it then it's too loud. I doubt they're making the effort to come and complain every day because they find it fun.

And 4pm might be reasonable to you but if they work nights or whatever then it'd be disturbing their sleep pattern.

You said that you hadn't had a neighbour complain before, but you also said that your last neighbours played really loud music themselves so it's probably just that it didn't bother them so much.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
It is the local authority that has the enforcement powers under the Environment Protection Act 1993 to stop anti-social behaviour caused by excessive noise not the police. Music that can be heard and disturbs neighbours is a statutory nuisance irrespective when it occurs day or night. Any music that can be heard beyond the boundary of the property is unreasonable. Your neighbours can either take you to court under section 82 of the EPA or take out an injunction against you stopping playing loud music that can be heard in their property. As you own your property they could also sue you damages and if you have a mortgage then also contact your mortgage company about this dispute as they would be jointly liable, and it is likely that they will probably take the view that your actions will jeopardise their interest in the property and they could foreclose your mortgage. So if you want a heap of trouble (both legal and financial) because you want to listen to loud music then continue your bad behaviour.
Reply 19
Original post by Sgt.Incontro

My current neighbor hates me, but never reports my loud music (I have a home theater system set up, with 2 subs :biggrin:) as he has a dog in his appartment. Dogs aren't allowed, so should he ever report me, he gets reported. Know what I mean?.

what? where the f**k do you live, jail?

Latest

Trending

Trending