The Student Room Group

My cousins mocked my feet in front of my crush… help

Weird I know. So embarrassing.

I’m 18, I’m the oldest of my cousins. The rest of my cousins are 17, 15, and 13 (going on to 14). So I see these cousins twice a year and we were all sat in my back garden. For some reason my 13 year old cousin, who isn’t normally like this with me, happen to be annoyed for whatever reason. He had a bone to pick on me and like I said, this isn’t a typical interaction between us so I wasn’t really sure how to handle it.

I have a crush on my neighbour who’s 22. I haven’t spoken to him in years but I’ve known of him since we were kids and we did talk back then. Now, they were having a family BBQ and they live right next door, at the time he was the only one in his garden so I know he was listening to every word because we were the only ones talking.

Now, this is going to sound stupid so just a warning in advance. This is really dumb:

So we were all talking as usual, and my cousin asked me why I was wearing shoes today kind of giggling (I was outside so of course I’m going to wear shoes) all of a sudden my cousin started calling me “cheesy feet”, I ignored it a few times but it got embarrassing and I’m a girl so no woman wants to be called that. So I asked why he calls me it because I knew it wasn’t because I smelled. He responded with “Because they’re ugly” he then went into describe how my toes are long and the nails are short and it just looks ugly. I literally had no response and just said “…Oh cuz I was going to say there’s no way I have smelly feet. My feet never stink.” 😭😭 I was dying inside. I knew he was listening. But I was nervous and I was just laughing like an idiot not knowing how to deal with this. If he was my age I would just insult him but he’s a kid to me and we usually get along. I was often laughing on my own with everyone wondering why I’m laughing too much.

Anyway, it just got worse because we were playing an old game where you listen to loud music and try and guess what the other person is saying from reading their lips. I was the worst at it, I couldn’t understand anything and after a while I could tell they were arguing so I took of my headphones and asked what’s going on and one of my other cousins goes “they’re picking on you”. Now I almost got serious and confrontational at this point and asked him what he said, and he was like “nothing.” And that’s when his sister said “he keeps calling you cheesy feet”. I decided to just move on and say ok who’s next, and he went along with it. He stopped after that, but the damage was done.

I know he was listening to everything because he especially turned around to watch me leave this morning when he was outside with his brother which is the first time he saw me since that whole convo. I’m SO EMBARRASSED. I just made it worse for myself.

Can I recover him this? Do you think I still have a chance with him? What would you guys think of you heard this happen with your neighbours? Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

I’m 18, I’m the oldest of my cousins. The rest of my cousins are 17, 15, and 13 (going on to 14). So I see these cousins twice a year and we were all sat in my back garden. For some reason my 13 year old cousin, who isn’t normally like this with me, happen to be annoyed for whatever reason. He had a bone to pick on me and like I said, this isn’t a typical interaction between us so I wasn’t really sure how to handle it.

I have a crush on my neighbour who’s 22. I haven’t spoken to him in years but I’ve known of him since we were kids and we did talk back then. Now, they were having a family BBQ and they live right next door, at the time he was the only one in his garden so I know he was listening to every word because we were the only ones talking.

Now, this is going to sound stupid so just a warning in advance. This is really dumb:

So we were all talking as usual, and my cousin asked me why I was wearing shoes today kind of giggling (I was outside so of course I’m going to wear shoes) all of a sudden my cousin started calling me “cheesy feet”, I ignored it a few times but it got embarrassing and I’m a girl so no woman wants to be called that. So I asked why he calls me it because I knew it wasn’t because I smelled. He responded with “Because they’re ugly” he then went into describe how my toes are long and the nails are short and it just looks ugly. I literally had no response and just said “…Oh cuz I was going to say there’s no way I have smelly feet. My feet never stink.” 😭😭 I was dying inside. I knew he was listening. But I was nervous and I was just laughing like an idiot not knowing how to deal with this. If he was my age I would just insult him but he’s a kid to me and we usually get along. I was often laughing on my own with everyone wondering why I’m laughing too much.

Anyway, it just got worse because we were playing an old game where you listen to loud music and try and guess what the other person is saying from reading their lips. I was the worst at it, I couldn’t understand anything and after a while I could tell they were arguing so I took of my headphones and asked what’s going on and one of my other cousins goes “they’re picking on you”. Now I almost got serious and confrontational at this point and asked him what he said, and he was like “nothing.” And that’s when his sister said “he keeps calling you cheesy feet”. I decided to just move on and say ok who’s next, and he went along with it. He stopped after that, but the damage was done.

I know he was listening to everything because he especially turned around to watch me leave this morning when he was outside with his brother which is the first time he saw me since that whole convo. I’m SO EMBARRASSED. I just made it worse for myself.

Can I recover him this? Do you think I still have a chance with him? What would you guys think of you heard this happen with your neighbours? Thanks

On a scale where this is in one hand and Russia invading Ukraine is on the other, this is about -30 on the disaster front. Laugh it off and move on.
It may be embarrassing yes but as you said yourself, you haven't spoken to this crush in years and there's nothing currently going on between you anyway. This guy will completely forget about this conversation in a short while anyway, it's not worth remembering.
He's 22 so unless he's a creep he would think of you as a child. Children bickering wouldn't make a lasting "bad" impression at all lol.
Reply 4
Original post by Arctic Kitten
He's 22 so unless he's a creep he would think of you as a child. Children bickering wouldn't make a lasting "bad" impression at all lol.

I’m 18… he’s 22. It’s four years difference and it defo won’t matter in the future lol. He defo doesn’t see me as a child, we used to be friends.
Reply 5
Original post by hotpud
On a scale where this is in one hand and Russia invading Ukraine is on the other, this is about -30 on the disaster front. Laugh it off and move on.

I’ll try
Reply 6
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
It may be embarrassing yes but as you said yourself, you haven't spoken to this crush in years and there's nothing currently going on between you anyway. This guy will completely forget about this conversation in a short while anyway, it's not worth remembering.

I really hope so.

DOOMED
Reply 8
DOOMED

I’m still not any less embarrassed about it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending