The Student Room Group

Ignore OR Confront?

I've mentioned before how I introduced myself to neighbours and that when I saw the man of the house out on the street, he blatantly avoided me for seemingly no reason at all. I have felt compelled to confront him about it in the friendliest possible way, but I also feel it'd be best to just move on and not rattle any potential hornets nests. I think it'd be a good display of self-respect to look for answers for this behaviour, but on the other hand I think leaving them alone and moving on could be the ideal solution.

What do you think I should do?
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
I've mentioned before how I introduced myself to neighbours and that when I saw the man of the house out on the street, he blatantly avoided me for seemingly no reason at all. I have felt compelled to confront him about it in the friendliest possible way, but I also feel it'd be best to just move on and not rattle any potential hornets nests. I think it'd be a good display of self-respect to look for answers for this behaviour, but on the other hand I think leaving them alone and moving on could be the ideal solution.

What do you think I should do?

I guess that some people just dont want to interact with other people - best just to leave him alone
They don't owe you anything.
leave him alone you dont know whats on his mind
Original post by Anonymous
leave him alone you dont know whats on his mind

I can find out through some friendly conversation though. The thing is me and him spoke nicely when I introduced myself, then he decides to avoid me for no reason afterwards it doesn't make sense to me.
Original post by StriderHort
They don't owe you anything.

I know they don't owe me anything, but there's nothing wrong in being upfront about it. If I knew what their problem was if they had one, then it'd easier to avoid them in the future.
Just move on tbh, there's no reason to pursue a confrontation for no good reason other than "he doesn't wanna talk to me." It's not going to affect your life in any meaningful way if you don't make acquaintances with the guy and he doesn't owe you an explanation or conversation if he doesn't want to engage in that. It seems kinda like you're making a mountain out of a molehill with this one and wanna seem like the bigger person. You can do that by moving on and leaving the guy alone. :smile:
Reply 7
You have no idea what is going on in this guy's life.
You're also wanting to resove this so that you can feel better about it.
Do not give into your compulsion - you may just make things worse.
Learn to sit with the discomfort of being ignored - it will pass, eventually.
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
I know they don't owe me anything, but there's nothing wrong in being upfront about it.

There is, you have no place confronting them going about their day just because they don't want to interact.
Just ignore him.

He clearly doesn't want to interact and that's his choice to make.
Asking him the reason why or getting accusatory won't change his mind, it will just get him very annoyed and earn you the reputation of an overbearing nuisance of a neighbour.
Original post by StriderHort
There is, you have no place confronting them going about their day just because they don't want to interact.

Likewise they have no place being ignorant towards me after being friendly. I know, everyone is different and some people don't want to be bothered, but it's not that hard to just say that out loud.
Original post by londonmyst
Just ignore him.

He clearly doesn't want to interact and that's his choice to make.
Asking him the reason why or getting accusatory won't change his mind, it will just get him very annoyed and earn you the reputation of an overbearing nuisance of a neighbour.

Fair enough, it's just hard to peel away because I feel like I'm ignored a lot as it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending