The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Anyone know what studying with LearnDirect (to do NVQs) is like? Plus OU questions...

Hi there! :smile:

I initially posted this in a different forum, but was recommended to post in the OU forum for more experience of distance learning etc.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of completing a course with LearnDirect? Most especially if anyone had completed an NVQ through them?

I'm a healthcare assistant in a local hospital, and I'm looking to start my NVQ 2 in Health/Health & Social, because despite the fact that I've got GCSEs and A Levels, I'm not allowed to do my physiological observations course unfortunately

My hospital offers out NVQs in Health, but these only come about once a year, and my ward doesn't have an assessor, which is what's required to complete the course. So I'm looking into trying to arrange an external verifier and organise the course myself, in Health & Social Care.

It doesn't look like nearby colleges are organising NVQs, and since I have my job already, other apprenticeships are out of the question. So it left me with LearnDirect (Open University have a course of sorts, but I'm not sure it will get me anywhere - I don't know if there's other options?), which organises Health & Social Care NVQ 2 & 3, but I just wondered what they were like generally?

For the OU, they have undergraduate health courses, but no NVQ as such, which is really what I probably need. I'm on a rehabilitation ward, so it means there's not as much opportunity to deal with the more medical side offered by other wards.

Finally, does anyone know of any other good distance learning courses in health? I've seen a BTEC thing on ICS, but again, don't know what ICS is like!

Any other suggestions to solve the issue would be much appreciated! Thanks Please quote me in your reply.
Reply 1
Original post by Untitled1

Any other suggestions to solve the issue would be much appreciated! Thanks Please quote me in your reply.

Yes it was me who referred you here but no responses yet! :smile: Anyway, my advice is that you ought talk it over with learndirect just to get a few basic facts. You'll need to know how long it will take to get the qualification you want (distance learning normally takes longer), how much it will cost, especially if you need to take several courses, and what level of tutor support you get.

My guess is that the OU courses may be more limited in choice but if there are relevant ones then they will give you a higher level of qualification. But you need to be sure that they will give you what you want.

I've heard learndirect mentioned here so hopefully someone will have some expereince (or knowledge of somebody else's) of studying with them.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Nitebot
Yes it was me who referred you here but no responses yet! :smile: Anyway, my advice is that you ought talk it over with learndirect just to get a few basic facts. You'll need to know how long it will take to get the qualification you want (distance learning normally takes longer), how much it will cost, especially if you need to take several courses, and what level of tutor support you get.

My guess is that the OU courses may be more limited in choice but if there are relevant ones then they will give you a higher level of qualification. But you need to be sure that they will give you what you want.

I've heard learndirect mentioned here so hopefully someone will have some expereince (or knowledge of somebody else's) of studying with them.

Thank you very much for referring me here anyway Nitebot - there's limited choice of forums for us distance learners! :smile:

Aye, I think I will just contact LearnDirect to ask questions. I've tried emailing already, but they just say phone/get to your local centre, so I thought I'd ask around on here for general opinions.

Thanks again anyway :smile:
Reply 3
In January 2011 NVQs were replaced with new Diplomas and smaller Awards and Certificates for continued professional development.

The new qualifications replace the previous NVQs and VRQs and offer a new way of recognising skills and qualifications. They do this by awarding credit for qualifications and units (small steps of learning). They enable people to gain qualifications at their own pace along flexible routes.

There are now three sizes of qualification:

Award (1-12 credits)
Certificate (13-36 credits)
Diploma (above 36 credits)

With the OU you can do level 3 but it's expensive.

http://www.skillsforcare.org.uk/qualifications_and_training/qualifications_and_training.aspx

http://www8.open.ac.uk/choose/vocational-qualifications/

Will your employer allow an assessor come into your work place? I know at one of my previous job they only allowed you to take the NVQ through them and not a college.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Untitled1
Thank you very much for referring me here anyway Nitebot - there's limited choice of forums for us distance learners! :smile:

Aye, I think I will just contact LearnDirect to ask questions. I've tried emailing already, but they just say phone/get to your local centre, so I thought I'd ask around on here for general opinions.

Thanks again anyway :smile:

Ah I knew someone would come forward! :smile: Good spot by dg2009. As she says, you can't register as a new student for NVQs any more. The relevant section for health care and social care is here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you very much dg2009! I wonder why LearnDirect still says that it offers the NVQs though? Plus on my local college's website, that still says NVQ! Plus I know that my hospital was offering an Apprenticeship in Health NVQ Level 2, for this year. Very confusing! But thank you, I'll look into it :smile:
Reply 6
Well it's still a national vocational qualification, same modules I think just different qualification at the end.
Reply 7
I think their website needs updating. Things are in a transitional stage and they don't make that clear. From what I can see, student's who've already started their NVQ modules can continue with that qualification but all new students it seems must start on the new diploma.
Reply 8
Well I looked on the LearnDirect website again, and saw that they've created a new page regarding the NVQ in Health & Social, and it now says Level 2 Certificate, and Level 3 Diploma, so that's looking promising!

So I contacted my local centre, who said that they don't do the Health and Social care course but another centre did. When I contacted them, they said they didn't! So then I phoned LearnDirect directly, and they said that the centres do offer them - you sign up at the centre, and them complete the course online. So I contacted the first centre again, who then said they'd send me a referral form for the NVQ because they do sign people up afterall! What a nightmare! So now I'm just waiting on the email for the referral form, so fingers crossed!

Thank you both very much for your help! :smile:
Reply 9
Sounds like a right fiasco. Anyway good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest