The Student Room Group

How have the number mickey mouse degrees increased? Where did they originate from?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gengar_1500
Oh.my.days.

On the bright side i have it on good authority its very easy to get a first in that module. (will have to see how much i need to get the percentage points up next year) :biggrin:
Original post by dukeofgrove
TBF im slightly concerned that the politics department at The University of Leeds offers video game studies as a module http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/dynmodules.asp?Y=201112&M=PIED-3810

All these "degrees" are just picking on modules and inflating them to something they're not.

Reading about the module itself actually has some very important and key issues, do video games increase violence etc is something which is very important and topical.

But everybody these days just believes what everybody else says and everybody else just exaggerates one thing somebody else made.

Look for yourselves people!
Reply 22
Original post by Agenda Suicide
All these "degrees" are just picking on modules and inflating them to something they're not.

Reading about the module itself actually has some very important and key issues, do video games increase violence etc is something which is very important and topical.

But everybody these days just believes what everybody else says and everybody else just exaggerates one thing somebody else made.

True that, for example in the past that Manhunt got banned in the UK years ago due to a boy murdering someone because of the influence of the game itself. :smile:
Original post by Agenda Suicide

Its all in context. The Politics and International Studies department at a top university shouldn't be offering video games studies as a legitimate choice. It may be relevant to psychology or sociology (MM degree) but as one of 3 modules (after dissertation) for your final year seems stupid. Especially as 34% of the assessment is a "1 x 2,000 word videogame review". Hobbes would be turning in his grave.

If you hadn't guessed this is my uni + course so i'm not jumping on a bandwagon i genuinely find it highly irritating
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cyborgasm
A tiny bit of research would show this story is a silly one, it was one part of a Sports/Social Psychology Module, not a degree, Google Professor Cashmore.

What about Harry Potter at Durham, much more current?

Fair point but still, amusing none the less.

http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/Courses/Subjects/ArtsHumanities/Undergraduate/Costume.aspx <<< this Mickey Mouse enough for you?

That Harry Potter course sounds like fun, albeit pointless.
True that, for example in the past that Manhunt got banned in the UK years ago due to a boy murdering someone because of the influence of the game itself. :smile:

Yet they released manhunt 2 on the wii where you were literally battering people to death. I remember my mum criticizing me for doing in wrong :rolleyes:
Original post by ultimate mashup
lol, embarrasing university.

My sister goes there. She can also spell embarrassing :smile:
So much ignorance its impossible to pick a starting point. How can people be such imbeciles to write off whole disciplines. I can't fathom it!
Not this thread again.

People pluck module titles out of course profiles and inflate them to make it sound like that is all your degree is about. It's not, but we aren't in any position to comment on the reasoning behind these modules/courses since we only know about the subjects we are studying.
Reply 29
TBF im slightly concerned that the politics department at The University of Leeds offers video game studies as a module http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/dynmodules.asp?Y=201112&M=PIED-3810

It depends what you then go on to do, but this module does have validity in a psychological context, because it could increase someone's understanding in how people are affected by such games.

e.g. Dr Emily Collins and perhaps most notably Professor Mark Griffiths.
Reply 30
I know, everytime I see a degree such as "BSc Turfgrass Science" I have felt at times with the amount of strange degrees that are being introduced these are beginning to downgrade the value of a degree..

Im sorry but what you're saying shows a complete ignorance to the many skilled professions that exist in the real world. With such a degree you could work in any country you could wish to mention, learn a diverse range of skills involving plant biology, soil science and ecology. Not only that, take golf, a billion dollar industry which relies on 'Turfgrass' professionals to exist. The football pitches that are scrutinised on television on a weekly basis. I would like to see if you could work under that kind of pressure.

Before you tear a degree apart because of its title, that you don't fully understand but think is micky mouse, try to research the impact it actually has on peoples lives beforehand.
Reply 31
Original post by jdinsaanen
Before you tear a degree apart because of its title, that you don't fully understand but think is micky mouse, try to research the impact it actually has on peoples lives beforehand.

Completely agree, I think the term 'mickey mouse' has more developed in place of where people can't understand the vocational application of such a qualification.
Original post by jdinsaanen
Im sorry but what you're saying shows a complete ignorance to the many skilled professions that exist in the real world. With such a degree you could work in any country you could wish to mention, learn a diverse range of skills involving plant biology, soil science and ecology. Not only that, take golf, a billion dollar industry which relies on 'Turfgrass' professionals to exist. The football pitches that are scrutinised on television on a weekly basis. I would like to see if you could work under that kind of pressure.

University's should be places for academic subjects. I refuse to believe that Turf science or whatever its called is any more complicated then plumbing but you don't expect your plumber to have a degree. A lot of new degrees should be Btechs or diplomas because otherwise they devalue "proper" degrees in real subjects that only those who work hard and are intelligent can achieve.
Original post by 92matt
It depends what you then go on to do, but this module does have validity in a psychological context, because it could increase someone's understanding in how people are affected by such games.

e.g. Dr Emily Collins and perhaps most notably Professor Mark Griffiths.

I agree with you about psychology or though i would still find such a high level of specialization at BSc level for such a big course concerning. My main point is its the Politics department offering it and i just don't see how its that relevant (although in theory everything can be made relevant to politics)
Reply 34
Yeah I'd look at the number of people doing a course before blowing a gasket.
But yeah there isn't really any control on numbers except on medical degrees afaik.
Maybe the government needs to look at what it's people giving cheap loans to study - but it's not simple as a daily mail titter test of the module titles, you'd have to look at graduate earnings etc over a few years.
Reply 35
I agree with you about psychology or though i would still find such a high level of specialization at BSc level for such a big course concerning. My main point is its the Politics department offering it and i just don't see how its that relevant (although in theory everything can be made relevant to politics)

Perhaps the option of specializing for such a big course is the way forwards? It very much reminds me of the Open University design that enables you to structure your degree towards a future career or simply your own interest. As long as a standardized minimum syllabus was covered, these options could better prepare people for future careers and also become more favored by the graduate marketplace.
Reply 36
University's should be places for academic subjects. I refuse to believe that Turf science or whatever its called is any more complicated then plumbing but you don't expect your plumber to have a degree. A lot of new degrees should be Btechs or diplomas because otherwise they devalue "proper" degrees in real subjects that only those who work hard and are intelligent can achieve.

Im not going to argue with you because I think you have made an interesting point.

I hope that you are not one of the thousands that leave university with an outstanding academic degree which gives you precisely zero chance of walking into a job which requires that ounce of practical application your course simply didnt teach.
Original post by jesusofsuburbia
My sister goes there. She can also spell embarrassing :smile:

minor typo!
University's should be places for academic subjects.

Why?

They never were. Bologna was founded in 1088 to train lawyers.

The three higher faculties of a medieval university, medicine, law and divinity were all about vocational training.

Oxofrd has run vocational training courses for civil servants since the 19th century and still does. It also runs other vocational training courses as does Cambridge.
Reply 39
Yet they released manhunt 2 on the wii where you were literally battering people to death. I remember my mum criticizing me for doing in wrong :rolleyes:

Lol I can imagine this happening in my house (well, when I used to live with my parents :/)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending