The Student Room Group

how big is the difference between GCSE and A-level grade boundaries?

I've completed my first term of A-levels and although it's going fairly well, I'm putting in alot of effort and only come out with C's in general. Should I be worrying at this point about the grades that I keep on getting because I have some exams in January. Also, has anyone else been through this and got high grades at A-level? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Hi! yeah I'm doing A Level Art now and it is sooo much harder than GCSE! Is a good challenge but it makes GCSE's feel like a walk in the park
Original post by jostar111
Hi! yeah I'm doing A Level Art now and it is sooo much harder than GCSE! Is a good challenge but it makes GCSE's feel like a walk in the park

I could imagine art being difficult, I did it for GCSE and found that hard enough. All of my subjects at GCSE feel so easy but it has to be a step up because not everyone gets the grades to do A-levels so it has to be challenging.
Original post by pink pineapple
I've completed my first term of A-levels and although it's going fairly well, I'm putting in alot of effort and only come out with C's in general. Should I be worrying at this point about the grades that I keep on getting because I have some exams in January. Also, has anyone else been through this and got high grades at A-level? Thanks :smile:

Keep up the effort! I was getting Cs at the start (hell they were prediciting i would get a D). Just make sure you keep practicing. Learn that subject inside out. get to grips with everything.

Like if you doing economics learn the microeconomic terms and concepts and graphs. And you must be able to just think of the subject and start talking about it and all that knowledge should be swirling around in your head. Around the end of November start of December continue your revision (any hard topics revise them like for economics i did the balance of payments) and start the past papers. Do these under timed conditions and mark them using the mark scheme.

By the time you hit the January exams you should be thinking about the grade boundaries and like a month before the exam remember what you are aiming for. YOU SHOULD BE AIMING FOR THE A! You should be ready if you use every hour you have properly.

Organization is key. When i saw my results. I couldn't believe it i thought the exam board had made a mistake :eek: but i got an A, 97%.

You don't need to be naturally clever to get an A, just remember what YOU need to do. Then devise a plan. You don't see the military doing anything without a plan do you....nop they know what the target is and they work out how to achieve it. Just keep up the hard work.:youbetcha:

Hard work never goes to waste :party:

Also exercise helps to get rid of the tension and stress. Do some push ups in the morning and before you go to sleep. Go to the gym if you can.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jiraiya is no liar
Keep up the effort! I was getting Cs at the start (hell they were prediciting i would get a D). Just make sure you keep practicing. Learn that subject inside out. get to grips with everything.

Like if you doing economics learn the microeconomic terms and concepts and graphs. And you must be able to just think of the subject and start talking about it and all that knowledge should be swirling around in your head. Around the end of November start of December continue your revision (any hard topics revise them like for economics i did the balance of payments) and start the past papers. Do these under timed conditions and mark them using the mark scheme.

By the time you hit the January exams you should be thinking about the grade boundaries and like a month before the exam remember what you are aiming for. YOU SHOULD BE AIMING FOR THE A! You should be ready if you use every hour you have properly.

Organization is key. When i saw my results. I couldn't believe it i thought the exam board had made a mistake :eek: but i got an A, 97%.

You don't need to be naturally clever to get an A, just remember what YOU need to do. Then devise a plan. You don't see the military doing anything without a plan do you....nop they know what the target is and they work out how to achieve it. Just keep up the hard work.:youbetcha:

Hard work never goes to waste :party:

Also exercise helps to get rid of the tension and stress. Do some push ups in the morning and before you go to sleep. Go to the gym if you can.

Thankyou! that was really helpful. I take english lit,politics, history and french so it's a lot of work. I want to do english at uni and I want to be a journalist but I just don't know if I could get high enough grades to get into the most competitive english courses. I'm trying my best to be organised and making a plan but I'm finding it hard to keep to it exactly :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by pink pineapple

I'm sort of similar to you now. I'm getting Bs in Maths where I got an A* at GCSE, and Cs in English when I got an A. Weirdly I'm getting As in History? In Sociology I'm getting Ds and Cs but I put that down to it being a new subject that I'm not used to. Don't worry 'cause I'm the same and I'm sort of regarded as clever.

Quick Reply

Latest