The Student Room Group

Cambridge Colleges

Hi there,

I'm currently studying for my AS Levels, wanting very much to go on to study English Literature at Cambridge. However I am somewhat unsure as to which college to choose when the time comes and so regretfully must take up your time crying pleas for help!

I'm considering Queens, but merely because Steven Fry studied there (pretty much shows how shallow my information base is at the moment :P )

I'll just give you a bit of info about me so that if you are so inclined to reply, you are not doing so blind. Forgive me, but I'm going to go into a bit of detail so that you can understand my situation:

I'm a public school-boy who is very much into the creative arts. I enjoy acting (so could do with a theatre) and can equally spend a lot of time enjoying a good, old library. I am not particularly sporty, though will make use of a gym if there's one there. Ideally I'd like to apply somewhere aesthetically inspiring (with nice gardens or views) so that I can continue to write poetry in a nice environment (I'm probably sounding stranger and stranger by the moment :P ) I like a tranquil study environment but also enjoy great parties/clubs/social opportunities. I'm slightly right wing and atheist, though respectful of those who are religious (ie, I can put up with them.)

My GCSEs weren't brilliant - in fact they were incredibly average due to laziness, which I regret. However I'm now studying incredibly hard and spending all my time improving my CV and Personal Statement so that I can make up for a poor set of results by showing through other conduits that I am an interesting and learned individual. I realise this isn't an ideal situation to be in, but I can't change the past.

My A Levels should, and will ( :P ), be A* A* A* A*/A. I'm studying English Lit, Philosophy, Psychology and Drama. I'm also doing an International Baccalaureate on top of those, and am on target to be Head Boy. I'm already a Prefect, Council Member, etc. etc. and am engaged in many "out of school" pursuits (publishing poetry, studying and creating [short] films, teaching, managing a small business, working as Head Waiter at a restaurant.) These will hopefully make me appear more of a Renaissance Man to the interviewers and (I pray) make up for my GCSEs.

Thank you for reading. I hope this has helped you understand me and hopefully sparked some ideas as to where you think I should apply?

Thanks for your time,

-Ollie
(edited 12 years ago)
Well. if you were buying a house or flat, you would probably want to make a site inspection first. If you are going to commit to spending three or four years living in a place you don't know, why not do the same?

Go with your gut instinct and not what someone else tells you.

Feel free to PM me.
Hey! Just wanted to know which of the Cambridge college is least competitive in Economics?
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending