The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Portsmouth Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by AlexandraRose
Can somebody explain QEQMs layout for me? I'm so confused haha! Mine says BT but I've seen others with KER, DY and A & E? What do all these mean?! Thanks to anybody who understands what I mean haha

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

QEQM (Queen Elizabeth Queen Mother) is the collective name for all the white buildings which make up QEQM. I think there was 6 buildings and you'd get about two blocks in each. They're individually named. BT is the tower, there's a few lettered blocks then KER House, White house and Dymond.
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Original post by conniebee
QEQM (Queen Elizabeth Queen Mother) is the collective name for all the white buildings which make up QEQM. I think there was 6 buildings and you'd get about two blocks in each. They're individually named. BT is the tower, there's a few lettered blocks then KER House, White house and Dymond.

Oh that makes so much more sense now, thanks! So are the lettered blocks not in the tower?

Reply 622
Oh that makes so much more sense now, thanks! So are the lettered blocks not in the tower?

No, the lettered blocks are their own buildings. Hopefully this map will make more sense. Barnard Tower is BT. Have you got your numbers for the floor/room? Mine last year was W/09/7 which meant West Block, Flat 9, Room 7.
Media,40386,en.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Hopefully this map will make more sense. Barnard Tower is BT.
Media,40386,en.jpg

Oh okay, I get it now thanks :smile:! I thought QEQM was just the tower itself lol
Do you happen to know how many you share with in BT? Like how many to a kitchen? Oh and I'm BT 09, I'm not sure if that's ground floor or not though

Reply 624
Oh okay, I get it now thanks :smile:! I thought QEQM was just the tower itself lol
Do you happen to know how many you share with in BT? Like how many to a kitchen? Oh and I'm BT 09, I'm not sure if that's ground floor or not though

I'm not actually sure. I never went into BT. Only ever visited flats in West and White :P
I'd presume it'd may be between 4-8 in the tower. May be about 4. I'm just trying to remember from the times I drove past the back of it! It's not very wide, so I guess about 4 bedrooms to a floor? Are you self catered or catered? I thought QEQM was catered so you won't have a very big kitchen at all. Literally only a couple of cupboards each and maybe an oven and microwave.
I'm not actually sure. I never went into BT. Only ever visited flats in West and White :P
I'd presume it'd may be between 4-8 in the tower. May be about 4. I'm just trying to remember from the times I drove past the back of it! It's not very wide, so I guess about 4 bedrooms to a floor? Are you self catered or catered? I thought QEQM was catered so you won't have a very big kitchen at all. Literally only a couple of cupboards each and maybe an oven and microwave.

Yeah it's part catered so its a tiny kitchen but yeah i heard we get two cupboards each lol, was yours self catering then?

Reply 626
Yeah it's part catered so its a tiny kitchen but yeah i heard we get two cupboards each lol, was yours self catering then?

Yeah, I self catered in West block, we had a massive kitchen/diner. Anyone who visited from the halls in the town centre and my coursemate who was in White were all amazed. There was 8 people in my flat, we all had a freezer drawer, fridge shelf, 2 cupboards each and even then there was still space. The part catered are only small cos they presume you'll be having your meals in the canteen and not cooking full dinners like I obviously did.
Yeah, I self catered in West block, we had a massive kitchen/diner. Anyone who visited from the halls in the town centre and my coursemate who was in White were all amazed. There was 8 people in my flat, we all had a freezer drawer, fridge shelf, 2 cupboards each and even then there was still space. The part catered are only small cos they presume you'll be having your meals in the canteen and not cooking full dinners like I obviously did.

Oh right, yeah I would have liked an area to sit but I guess it's only for a year and im quite happy I got halls at all tbh lol, I can't cook to save my life anyway so I hope the canteen food is decent haha

Reply 628
Oh right, yeah I would have liked an area to sit but I guess it's only for a year and im quite happy I got halls at all tbh lol, I can't cook to save my life anyway so I hope the canteen food is decent haha

I had it a couple of times with my friend when she gave me free meal tickets. It's not gourmet, so don't expect the best, but it's not inedible. They also have machines which they make squash up in for you to drink, the pink one was oddly addictive, everyone loved the 'pink juice'.
I had it a couple of times with my friend when she gave me free meal tickets. It's not gourmet, so don't expect the best, but it's not inedible. They also have machines which they make squash up in for you to drink, the pink one was oddly addictive, everyone loved the 'pink juice'.

That's good, I never expected much of the food but as long as its edible I don't mind lol. Haha I'll certainly try the juice then, thanks for answering my questions! :smile:

Reply 630
Original post by zofia
Does anyone know what the shared rooms are like, so the room for 2 people so thy big or small ect..... ???

If you stayed in one of these rooms please give your experience, I have been offered this accommodation.
Reply 631
Original post by SaraMayne
Is anyone here doing Biomedical Science? :biggrin:

Yes!!! Hello! Youre the fifth ive met doing Biomed so far!
Original post by SneakyDeaky
Im in QEQM hall D 17, not really sure what this means tbh :/ Im studying law though :smile:

I am also doing law and I am in QEQM hall D 14!
Reply 633
anyone got their e intro pack yet? after paying the advance rent?
and do you just bring the confirmation letter and the accomadation stuff on the day u move into the accomadation? because there arent many letters about the actual course and how u register into it on the first day
Reply 634
Your/my accommodation will be open from 10am on 15th of September, might be different for others but I doubt it, so I will be getting my stuff packed, sort everything out like what to and not to take with me, and will probably enter the room the weekend probably Saturday/Sunday just before freshers week which starts on the 17th, but the whole week is meant to be experiencing the feel of University for the first time anyway so I doubt they will tell you off for not attending freshers week. I received my e-intro info booklet along with my accommodation pack back in May so I have everything pretty much covered apart from finance.

This is a whole new experience for me, so do tell if I said something wrong in what happens for the next few steps for going to university as those who have experienced it will know, and hopefully share their experiences so we know what to expect.
Original post by SAJLAR
anyone got their e intro pack yet? after paying the advance rent?
and do you just bring the confirmation letter and the accomadation stuff on the day u move into the accomadation? because there arent many letters about the actual course and how u register into it on the first day

yeah i registered for the 14th september late ish just so i could get my stuff sorted plus my friend's driving me down so she'll hopefully be staying over.
i'm bringing everything with me - from bank statements to GCSE certs to anything the uni/student finance has sent.
better to have everything stupidly organised than have to drive another 4 hours to get it aha.
Reply 636
ahh cheers... coz i havent received much on the actual course and how to sign in once your there..
2 passport photos
2 forms
and follow the people in purple is how i took it!
Reply 638
ahh ok.. 2 forms?
Reply 639
Original post by nmr1991

This is a whole new experience for me, so do tell if I said something wrong in what happens for the next few steps for going to university as those who have experienced it will know, and hopefully share their experiences so we know what to expect.

I'm in the same boat. Not helped by the fact that I've never lived alone, and never was good at starting conversations/finding new friends. Not helped by the fact that G4S have screwed me over so badly with their incompetence, I now have less money than I should as a student, thus making life much much harder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending