The Student Room Group

Smearing windscreen?

Each time I use the wiper blades on my car is leaves an awful smear across the screen which doesn't clear very well and makes it difficult to see .. it's the same in summer and winter and in rain so it's not just the weather conditions .. I don't have the greatest wiper blades, cheap ones but I've already changed those once and am going to again seen as they are dropping to bits, it might be grease but I do wash my car pretty often and I use plenty of screenwash in the screen tank .. Any suggestions on how to clear it?
Cheers :smile:

UPDATE: I got some new wiper blades; Bosch one's and they are brilliant & I also went over my windscreen with VINEGAR! Got told to my the bloke in the car accessories shop as it removes grease & IT WORKED! NO MORE SMEARING! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Get some decent wipers.

Also, get some Fast Glass and keep it in the car with a cloth - usually a tenner or so from Halfords:

Reply 2
Time for a new set of wiper blades.
I like the Bosch ones.
Original post by Aack
Get some decent wipers.

Also, get some Fast Glass and keep it in the car with a cloth - usually a tenner or so from Halfords:

Original post by JC.
I like the Bosch ones.

Cheers Guys, I'll be investing in some new wiper blades tomorrow and I'll look at getting some of the Fast Glass stuff, Thanks :smile:
+ Rep for you both tomorrow when I get some more to dish out :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)
Cheers Guys, I'll be investing in some new wiper blades tomorrow and I'll look at getting some of the Fast Glass stuff, Thanks :smile:
+ Rep for you both tomorrow when I get some more to dish out :smile:

Jut so you know, Fast Glass doesn't go in your windscreen wash (or in any other part of the car).

More info here:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_195655_langId_-1_categoryId_165651
Reply 5
Try just washing your windscreen by hand. I found that my screenwash often didn't clear grease away which built up over the months - you might not need new wipers at all.
Original post by Flibbles
Try just washing your windscreen by hand. I found that my screenwash often didn't clear grease away which built up over the months - you might not need new wipers at all.

I do wash it by hand, inside and outside with water and with glass clear but nothing seems to get rid of it so I'm going to see if new wiper blads does actually do something but thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 7
If you use car shampoo with wax that won't help keep your windscreen clear. I'd clean the windscreen with concentrated screenwash and do the same with the blades. If it does need new wipers I'd recommend the aero style. I'll see if I can find where I bought mine.
Reply 8
Don't use Fast Glass, use their glass polish for a much deeper clean, then go over it with some meths.

And a new set of wipers and you should be sorted!
you didnt park under one of those blossom trees in the summer did you? Im still finding bits of their pollun on mine and its even been cleaned by autoglass!!!!
Sometimes the wiper blades may not be the real culprit behind the smearing.

What really had happened is someone once used that chemical Rain-X on the windshield and after a while this will wear off and cause smearing each time you use the wipers. The solution? Just some washing-up liquid from the kitchen works fine :smile:

I used to on average change wiper blades once every 3 months at one time because I just couldn't tolerate windshield streaks... then one yank thought me to just clean the wiper blades... just a drop or two of washing up liquid into a scotch-brite and lightly scrub the surface that wipes, do it till there is no black soot and it will clean just fine after that... no need for any special chemicals.

I don't really clean my cars usually a once every 2-3 month thing... though I get the interior hoovered once a week and the glass and lenses will be cleaned once a week. Usually use the washing up liquid and then some glass cleaners and newspapers to dry it off. never had any issues with streaky glass since then :biggrin:

If you have to change the wiper blades, then look out for some Bosch Aerotwin ones. These are really good wiperblades as it sweeps really clean, doesn't collect a lot of soot and as it wipes it does so very quietly. Just make sure you buy it from a reputable seller as there are many parallel imports and fakes out there that aren't meant for UK market due to the climatic conditions.
Reply 11
You need to replace your wipers about once a year for optimum cleaning potential!
I get this a lot (not the grease part but the smearing part), especially when I've been driving on the motorway and try to wipe away bug splats.

My wipers are 5 years old, so probably need replacing.
Original post by brokenangel
you didnt park under one of those blossom trees in the summer did you? Im still finding bits of their pollun on mine and its even been cleaned by autoglass!!!!

That's really bad, how much did that cost you? :O
I don't think I did, I park in my own car parking space at home and in work's staff car park and I don't think I did out and about ..
But anyway I found the solution; USE VINEGAR to clean the screen with; gets rid of grease and so on :biggrin:
Original post by JC.
I like the Bosch ones.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Bosch wipers, I got some & they are really good :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending