The Student Room Group

Irregular bowel movements and stomach ache

For a few weeks now I feel like I have had bowel problems. But its difficult to know whats going on because it keeps changing and I'm never sure of anything. Like at first I just had looser stools, then they got better but I had a week of on/off upper stomach pain, then I had more frequent but not loose stools, then I had stomach aches but only at night, then I went back to loose stools etc. Also the time of my bowel movements keeps changing and they are just generally not regular. I have health anxiety but this is the first time I feel like where I have had symptoms that have genuinely felt annoying and actually real. I also worried that I saw blood in my stool so that is terrifying me more because I saw this red piece and I thought it was food but then it smeared on the toilet paper... I keep putting off going to the doctor as well because I don't know what to say as my symptoms keep changing. I'm scared something is super wrong.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
For a few weeks now I feel like I have had bowel problems. But its difficult to know whats going on because it keeps changing and I'm never sure of anything. Like at first I just had looser stools, then they got better but I had a week of on/off upper stomach pain, then I had more frequent but not loose stools, then I had stomach aches but only at night, then I went back to loose stools etc. Also the time of my bowel movements keeps changing and they are just generally not regular. I have health anxiety but this is the first time I feel like where I have had symptoms that have genuinely felt annoying and actually real. I also worried that I saw blood in my stool so that is terrifying me more because I saw this red piece and I thought it was food but then it smeared on the toilet paper... I keep putting off going to the doctor as well because I don't know what to say as my symptoms keep changing. I'm scared something is super wrong.

Book an appointment with a GP, and in the meantime keep a food and symptom diary. Hopefully you work something out!
Original post by Anonymous

I would say write down what you eat everyday and see if your diet makes things worse. Perhaps you could keep a short diary of how stressed you are each day to determine if stress is also worsening your symptoms. Inspect your stools to look for any blood. Also, ask yourself if there’s anything that might have caused these symptoms. Food poisoning? A change in diet? Side effects of a medication?

With all of this information, I would recommend going to a GP with your symptoms, even if they change regularly. Think about them like, “I get stomach pain at night at least 5 times in the space of 2 weeks.” Note everything you’ve been experiencing down so that you don’t forget anything.

Good luck, and hopefully you manage to get rid of your problems in the near future :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest