The Student Room Group

There is a hamster in my halls at Uni.

My flatmates decided to invest in a hamster for the flat, and it lives pretty much in a cage in a kitchen. BUT, we may have got reported today, and what happens if we get caught with it? will it just taken away, or like we'll get a disciplinary, or what? what will happen to us?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just hide it in the wardrobe.
It's just a ****ing hamster.
You will probably get told to remove it or face a hefty fine.

This is why people shouldn't get pets in halls, halls are not the environment for an animal. It's not something to 'invest' in. We had exactly this same problem in our halls a girl got a hamster and then she was always having to hide it away but then it makes noise anyway and I think it's cruel imprisoning an animal in the dark because you're not supposed to have it.
Reply 4
Original post by MagicNMedicine
You will probably get told to remove it or face a hefty fine.

This is why people shouldn't get pets in halls, halls are not the environment for an animal. It's not something to 'invest' in. We had exactly this same problem in our halls a girl got a hamster and then she was always having to hide it away but then it makes noise anyway and I think it's cruel imprisoning an animal in the dark because you're not supposed to have it.

Aren't hamsters nocturnal anyway?
Reply 5
Return the hamster back to the pet shop you got it from.
Reply 6
'Invest' in a hamster... nice choice of word lol.

I suppose you will receive dividends in cuteness and entertainment when it runs on that spinny wheel you put in the case. You do have a spinny wheel right?
Reply 7
you'll be told to decapitate it.
Reply 8
Chill, just hide it for a bit. If someone comes to find it and reprimand you, they're probably not going to rage through your flat smashing things up until they find it. So just keep it out of sight for a while.
I would be tempted to get a fake hamster in a cage or a ball and then act really confused and be like "We DO have a hamster..but it's this plastic one...:confused:". :tongue:

I think you would be well-advised to rehome it though. It's stressful for both you and the hamster having to hide it all the time.
Reply 9
25 - life, harbouring an illegal hamster is serious business yo
Meh, it's no big deal, just hide it better. MagicN, no rodent suffers from being in the dark occasionally, they prefer it!
Reply 11
Pour quick lime over it and bury the evidence (bones).
Reply 12
Get a cat, stuff it in the cage, and when they accuse you of having a hamster, be like "Hamster? Are you blind?! This is clearly a cat!" and then they'll back down in shame.
Reply 13
students at our university are allowed to have a hamster or a mouse but nothing bigger.

I think they would take bigger animals to the animal shelter in case that somebody tells them that you keep an illegal hamster. :-) I don´t understand why you should not get and live in student accomodation if every member of the house community is fine wth it.
Original post by Oliashwood
hamster for the flat, and it lives pretty much in a cage in a kitchen

hamster, a kitchen

hamster, kitchen

hamster, a kitchen

hamster, a kitchen

for the love of god man, salmonella, have you heard of it?

Whos the big boy with the neg rep that has exactly 0 effect? lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Pwn4g3_P13

No you just have a ruined immune system ahahaha.
Reply 16
Original post by Pwn4g3_P13

Lol are you a hypochondriac
Original post by abc:)
Lol are you a hypochondriac

Well you clearly have no real idea what a hypochondriac actually is

Would you poo in your own kitchen? that's what that hamsters gonna be doing
(edited 12 years ago)
hm i'd give it back to the pet shop, do you ever get time to play with it?

Original post by edd360
25 - life, harbouring an illegal hamster is serious business yo

i'm about to try the thing in your signature haha
Reply 19
If they actually come to investigate they'd most likely tell you to get rid of it, surely one of you has a younger sibling or such who would like to look after it for the time being if it comes to it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending