The Student Room Group

There is a hamster in my halls at Uni.

Scroll to see replies

invest in another one and make them race each other. fun times to be had, especially when you're drunk
Reply 21
some people in my halls invested in one and we hid it when the warden was around. Had to return it to the pet shop at the end of term anyway cos no-one wanted to take it home for christmas...
Reply 22
Original post by Pwn4g3_P13
Well you clearly have no real idea what a hypochondriac actually is

Would you poo in your own kitchen? that's what that hamsters gonna be doing

Yeah I know it's overused but it just seems silly getting worked up about that. The hamster isn't gonna be pooing on the surfaces and presumably would be kept away from the food area anyway, so long as you keep things clean I don't see a problem
Original post by abc:)
Yeah I know it's overused but it just seems silly getting worked up about that. The hamster isn't gonna be pooing on the surfaces and presumably would be kept away from the food area anyway, so long as you keep things clean I don't see a problem

In a pristine enviroment yes, i doubt that a shared kitchen is going to provide this, it's not hypochondria to say that OP is at a real risk of giving some poor sod down the hall an illness that kills people,

Not to mention presents a danger to the hamster from heat, constant light, constant noise, the poor thing.
Reply 24
In a pristine enviroment yes, i doubt that a shared kitchen is going to provide this, it's not hypochondria to say that OP is at a real risk of giving some poor sod down the hall an illness that kills people,

Not to mention presents a danger to the hamster from heat, constant light, constant noise, the poor thing.

True I do feel sorry for the hamster. There is a reason why pets aren't allowed in halls
meow
arent hamsters fictional?
It's not the Killer Rabbit. Calm down. It's a hamster.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28

Don't be ridiculous. A few years back we had four of our dwarf hamsters in the kitchen, because it was too cold for them in the garage during the autumn/winter. Not one case of salmonella in all those months. It's not like they were crawling and defecating all over the surfaces/cutlery. :rolleyes:
Original post by theciz
Don't be ridiculous. A few years back we had four of our dwarf hamsters in the kitchen, because it was too cold for them in the garage during the autumn/winter. Not one case of salmonella in all those months. It's not like they were crawling and defecating all over the surfaces/cutlery. :rolleyes:

A whole few months with hamsters and noone got a serious illness? amazing. publish your findings, Dettol's going to go out of business Don't bother replying, i won't bother reading it
One of my friends found a stray cat and it was gonna be picked up the next day by a rescue place but someone grassed em up and a security guard literally threw it out. xD However a cat is hard to hide. Just stick it under a bed or something. :biggrin:

for the love of god man, salmonella, have you heard of it?

Whos the big boy with the neg rep that has exactly 0 effect? lol

Agreed, that is ****ing disgusting.
Hamsters tend not to carry salmonella unlike birds and reptiles.

In fact due to ever living in a cage and never going outside or meeting wild rodents, they don't carry any zoonotic diseases, more likely to get salmonella from raw poulty and infected egg shells then from a hamster.

Only health concerns would be the spread of faeces from them kicking bedding out, but even then it's not a huge health risk, just extremely unhygienic, but nothing that would kill you. a kitchen isn't the best place for an animal to live or hygienic.

Best thing to do op, is to just give away the hamster or take it back to the pet shop. They will demand you get rid of the hamster and/or throw you out as you would have broken the contract and the landlord has every right to get you to leave, likely you would get a fine rather then thrown out.
Reply 33
Yehh, I didn't want it in the first place. we've got like an inspection later this week, not sure what we'll do with it then might give it to another flat that doesn't have an inspection. This is our second hamster by the way, the first one died (that's not even a joke). We were refunded and given more money to buy a new hamster, and used that extra money to buy a new one, which means we made a profit, of about £3.

for the love of god man, salmonella, have you heard of it?

Yeh that's true, but it is like in the communal area and not really the ktichen itself.

Original post by Ham22
you'll be told to decapitate it.

this made my day.
Original post by Cynthi007
students at our university are allowed to have a hamster or a mouse but nothing bigger.

I think they would take bigger animals to the animal shelter in case that somebody tells them that you keep an illegal hamster. :-) I don´t understand why you should not get and live in student accomodation if every member of the house community is fine wth it.

:frown: Lucky you!
Reply 35
Just eat it, duh
Cook it
Take it out everytime you know you're meant to be inspected!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending