The Student Room Group

Why are some people so anti-makeup?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alawhisp
When I lived in the US, it was the exact opposite. Even girls on the Target checkout were wearing enough make-up to sink a battleship. My American female friends were amazed at how little make-up I wore (yes, I am British) in comparison to them. I let one do my face for a night out and I felt like a drag queen, I had to scrape most of it off.

I very rarely saw any women in the States without make-up, even on the beach. So no idea why you are making such brash generalisations.

The main countries I don't see women wearing much make-up are places like Spain, Italy.. It just melts off in the sun, so not much point.

tbh it depends where you are in the States, if you are in LA for example everyone is going to be made up.
Original post by kerily
Sentiments like this are why people who don't wear makeup can often get a bit militant :wink: I think makeup is completely up to personal choice, but I resent living in a society that thinks I've 'not made an effort' because I go without makeup 99% of the time and don't think I should be expected to wear it.

I also personally think that people look better without makeup - yes, including without 'natural-style' makeup. Obviously it's personal choice, but that's my point; we shouldn't be told that we're somehow less attractive/smart/etc because we don't wear makeup, any more than we should be told that we look worse with makeup on.

I need to edit my OP to make this clearer - Some people who don't wear makeup don't make an effort with any method of appearance and so look plain. In my experience, it's most but I know it isn't everyone.

Original post by Converse
So? Their facial appearance has been drastically improved. They are no longer ugly. Therefore you did contradict your own point.

Er no I didn't. You do realise those were really bad pictures compared to brilliant ones, right? Everyone can have a bad picture so it was hardly unbiased. Also not all of them look ugly without.

Original post by py0alb
yeah, I've never hear that one before, nor have I been challenged on multiple occasions to say which girls have foundation on and which haven't and got it bang on every time without even looking away from the rugby :rolleyes:

I've had this same debate so many times with big groups of girls in real life over the year. "No such thing as invisible foundation" I claim.

"Oh yeah, which of us has it on then?"

"You, you, you, you and you"

"jesus, how did you do that?" they say. I shrug.

Truth is: in real life you can easily see foundation and it's off-putting. Its not nearly as invisible as girls like to convince themselves it is.

Then they wear it badly. And I don't care if you knew I was going to say that (:rolleyes:), that's the truth. Like I said I'm quite experienced in this area so I know full well about foundation.
Original post by screenager2004
But it's okay for you to force it on everyone else by saying that people look 'quite plain and like she isn't bothered.' if they don't wear it?

You're contributing to the social peer pressure to wear it with comments like that.

I'm not forcing them to wear it it's just my idea of what's attractive. :dontknow: I'm not saying everyone has to agree
Reply 83
[QUOTE=LipstickKisses;34740867Er no I didn't. You do realise those were really bad pictures compared to brilliant ones, right? Everyone can have a bad picture so it was hardly unbiased. Also not all of them look ugly without.
Whether or not they're biased is irrelevant. Make-up can drastically improve appearance, which means you contradicted yourself.

Plus, using biased pictures makes it look as if the guy who you quoted was right.
Original post by LipstickKisses
Ive only come across this once or twice in person but on here, loads of people seem to hate makeup with a deep burning passion, guys and girls. Im genuinely curious about this, why would you hate it? Everyone looks better with well applied makeup. Even worse, you get the people who think they have some sort of moral high-ground for not wearing it. Erm no you don't, you just look like you cba to make an effort. So why do so many people hate it on here? I dont mind people not wearing it, I just don't see why people are so aggressively against it.

Im talking about well applied makeup, not badly caked on stuff.

I ahve no idea, my missus doesnt wear it because shes too lazy to put it on, but shes does look so much prettier when she does her eyes and such.

However when you look like a cheap 18th century hooker or a side of orange peel then its going too far
Reply 85
Original post by py0alb
So what, you obviously went to a different area of the states or a different environment than i did, and hence had a different experience. So what's your point?

No real point. Just stating my experience as it conflicted with yours. You shouldn't make brash generalisations about British and American girls when there is evidence to the contrary and when the culture can be so different from place to place.

Original post by chronic_fatigue
tbh it depends where you are in the States, if you are in LA for example everyone is going to be made up.

Yeah, I know. You really can't make generalisations about the US.. Even within a single state, there will be massive differences in the way people are, from city to city. I did travel around though and the only conclusion I can come to on American girls is that those that do wear make-up wear it in a different style than British girls. It's a lot more shiny, more glittery, more "screen-ready" than British make-up.. But formulations are completely different (even within the same brand, Maybelline UK and US for example), so that goes some way towards explaining it.
Whether or not they're biased is irrelevant. Make-up can drastically improve appearance, which means you contradicted yourself.

Plus, using biased pictures makes it look as if the guy who you quoted was right.

You can look better but it doesn't make an ugly person attractive which is what I said. I only used biased pictures because I can't get unbiased ones, they're celebs people love finding bad photos and slagging them off. :rolleyes:
I'm not forcing them to wear it it's just my idea of what's attractive. :dontknow: I'm not saying everyone has to agree

Problem with make-up is that its hard to buy a perfect shade for you, given the variety of make-up in shop, and it can be pretty time-consuming. Some people also feel more comfortable with no make-up- I wear make-up and I like it, but it also makes me paranoid that it could go wrong- smudge/flake/not match your skin or make you look like a clown. And it does go wrong, regardless of how expensive your stuff is.
And I don't think not wearing make-up means you cba with your appearance. It would be different story if you talked about people who never brush their teeth and hair and wear same jeans for weeks.
Original post by AutVinceriAutMori
Problem with make-up is that its hard to buy a perfect shade for you, given the variety of make-up in shop, and it can be pretty time-consuming. Some people also feel more comfortable with no make-up- I wear make-up and I like it, but it also makes me paranoid that it could go wrong- smudge/flake/not match your skin or make you look like a clown. And it does go wrong, regardless of how expensive your stuff is.
And I don't think not wearing make-up means you cba with your appearance. It would be different story if you talked about people who never brush their teeth and hair and wear same jeans for weeks.

Once you find it though you can stick to it? :tongue:
Reply 89
You can look better but it doesn't make an ugly person attractive which is what I said. I only used biased pictures because I can't get unbiased ones, they're celebs people love finding bad photos and slagging them off. :rolleyes:

Again it can drastically improve appearance, and thus make ugly people appear to be attractive (as seen in your pics, and as I have seen many times). It is not going to turn the most ugly person into the most beautiful person, but ugly to attractive is perfectly possible (again, your pictures are proof of this). It is easy to find unbiased pictures, you just chose not to.
Again it can drastically improve appearance, and thus make ugly people appear to be attractive (as seen in your pics, and as I have seen many times). It is not going to turn the most ugly person into the most beautiful person, but ugly to attractive is perfectly possible (again, your pictures are proof). It is easy to find unbiased pictures, you just chose not to.

No they aren't proof as only one of those women possibly looks bad without makeup. The others look fine. No it isn't easy to find an unbiased picture of a celebrity, and do not tell me what I choose to do or not to do as if you know me. :rolleyes:
Once you find it though you can stick to it? :tongue:

But finding it can be hard and expensive and time-consuming :wink: Even beauty bloggers (people who spend a lot of money and time using the stuff) often moan that "there is no foundation that matches my fair skin!" or "can't find a blusher that wouldn't make me look like Ronald McDonald!" so I can imagine how hard it could be for someone who just started using it. Someone might not have enough money to experiment a lot either.
Plus, some beauty sales assistants can be scary and off -putting. I met some lovely ones, but there is a lot of condescending ones too.
(edited 12 years ago)

Clearly the concept of contributing to a social consensus eludes you.
Reply 93
No they aren't proof as only one of those women possibly looks bad without makeup. The others look fine. No it isn't easy to find an unbiased picture of a celebrity, and do not tell me what I choose to do or not to do as if you know me. :rolleyes:

That's down to opinion tbh.. but you have said yourself that those pictures are biased.
You chose biased pictures.. not really anything you can do about it.. is there? We both know it's true.
Original post by AutVinceriAutMori
But finding it can be hard and expensive and time-consuming :wink: Even beauty bloggers (people who spend a lot of money and time using the stuff) often moan that "there is no foundation that matches my fair skin!" or "can't find a blusher that wouldn't make me look like Ronald McDonald!" so I can imagine how hard it could be for someone who just started using it. Someone might not have enough money to experiment a lot either.
Plus, some beauty sales assistants can be scary and off -putting. I met some lovely ones, but there is a lot of condescending ones too.

I've found it quite easy to get a good match and I have a weird skintone, it's only drugstore foundations that have naff colours in my opinion. I guess it can be hard though.
Clearly the concept of contributing to a social consensus eludes you.

So I can't have an opinion on what I think looks attractive because it might force someone else to act a certain way? I don't see why people can't just do what they want and sod everyone else... :dontknow:

That's down to opinion tbh.. but you have said yourself that those pictures are biased.
You chose biased pictures.. not really anything you can do about it.. is there? We both know it's true.

No I didn't choose them, I quicky googled some celebs and chose the first ones that came up because I can't be arsed to sift through the vast realms of google images to find the very rare unbiased no makeup picture.
Reply 95
So you hate people feeling superior for not wearing make-up and then proceed to say that those who don't wear it don't make an effort with their appearance/are lazy. Oh.
Original post by Cicerao
So you hate people feeling superior for not wearing make-up and then proceed to say that those who don't wear it don't make an effort with their appearance/are lazy. Oh.

That was the wrong way of saying it. I meant that a lot of people who don't wear makeup also wear plain clothes have messy hair and so don't look as if they're making an effort. It's not always the case though, if someone doesn't wear it but dresses well and looks tidy then obviously it's not them. Sorry for not making it clear :redface:
Original post by rachel.h
I posted on another thread that I wear make-up everyday because I have red scarring after acne, which I like to cover with foundation and powder.

This provoked a few negative reps - I don't understand why. I like to wear make-up, you don't. I don't tell you to wear it so I don't expect to be told not to wear it. Yes I'm insecure, I don't need to be told :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm the same. I have acne spots and scars all over a lot of my face, and my face is also quite a bit darker than the rest of my body which I seriously dislike as it looks odd, so foundation is a lifesaver for me as it just evens everything out and makes me look much better. If people ever think my "before" face is better than my "after" face, then they must be mad!

That's how I see it with most people. It often (not always) looks quite plain and like she isn't bothered.

That's a little harsh tbh. I love makeup a lot myself like you do and I agree with some points you've made in this thread and in another one, but I also think that not all women should wear makeup if they don't want as it's simply not everyone's thing. Yes I agree that makeup makes women look better, but if they'd rather not then I think that's OK too. Having a makeup habit costs money and time, and not everybody has that.

That said, I'm such an addict to those makeup tutorials on Youtube, and some of those MUAs are so brilliant. I find it a bit of a shame that some people will bash stuff like that but oh well, their problem I guess.
Reply 98
:eek: That's pretty bad. I agree that people shouldn't be made to feel ugly without it, but I do think it shows making an effort which is good, in men and women. But yeah people shouldn't be made to feel hideous.

Why is it good to make an effort with your appearance? Why can't you make an effort with something not completely vacuous, like being better at sport or being more interesting or learning a really funny dance or basically DOING STUFF.
You pretend it's normal, you pretend it's expected, you pretend it's natural. it's not. it's a costume for people who are unsatisfied with their own face.

Not this again. I really disagree with you on this point and I don't think we'll ever agree on it because we see it from different perspectives.

if you were satisfied with your own face, why do you feel the need to wear makeup at all?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest