The Student Room Group

Retaking maths modules after sitting them a year early?

I took C1 and C2 at the end of my GCSE year, and got 97 in C1 and 88 in C2. I know these are good scores, but I'm thinking of applying for maths at uni, and I know that some unis look at individual module scores. As I'll be aiming for a top uni, and I know that I can score higher in C2 (I got 100% in my mock), is it worth retaking it at the end of L6?

Firstly, will universities know if I resit, and secondly, will they care if I do? I know that 88 isn't a bad score at all, I'm just wondering whether it's worth trying to get a higher one - I know that Cambridge, for example, prefer people with scores of over 90 UMS.

Thanks in advance
Retake it right at the end of your maths studies.

ie, after you've covered Core 3 and Core 4, as Core 2 will be much more easier.
Reply 2
Original post by siwelmail
Retake it right at the end of your maths studies.

ie, after you've covered Core 3 and Core 4, as Core 2 will be much more easier.

But will unis have to know/ will they even care? I heard that most don't care about resits anymore, and that they only look at your first take, but seeing as I took it a year early could I get away with it?
Reply 3
Original post by tinto99
I took C1 and C2 at the end of my GCSE year, and got 97 in C1 and 88 in C2. I know these are good scores, but I'm thinking of applying for maths at uni, and I know that some unis look at individual module scores. As I'll be aiming for a top uni, and I know that I can score higher in C2 (I got 100% in my mock), is it worth retaking it at the end of L6?

Firstly, will universities know if I resit, and secondly, will they care if I do? I know that 88 isn't a bad score at all, I'm just wondering whether it's worth trying to get a higher one - I know that Cambridge, for example, prefer people with scores of over 90 UMS.

Thanks in advance

Have I got this right ? You obtained 97 % in C1 and wish to retake it. Have I misunderstood.
Original post by steve2005
Have I got this right ? You obtained 97 % in C1 and wish to retake it. Have I misunderstood.

I read it as saying he wants to resit C2.
Reply 5
Original post by steve2005

Yeah you've misunderstood, I only want to retake C2 - and I know, my C2 mark (88) is still very good, but I'm considering doing maths at uni (hopefully at a top uni, where they often look at module scores), so I'm thinking it may be a good idea to retake C2 to try and get in the high 90s
Reply 6
I lost marks because of a stupid mistake, I know I can get higher than 88
Reply 7
Original post by Mr M
I read it as saying he wants to resit C2.

I see.
I say you leave it. Retakes seem worse than getting 88 IMO
I'm sire they will consider the fact you did it a year early. :smile:
Reply 10
Cambridge sees the resits, but I think the rest just see the final UMS if you tell them (or they ask for it), so resitting in the C3/C4 session won't do any harm really unless the university/course specifically says otherwise.

Typically a resit student is one who takes an extra year to get the grade, doing them in the 2 A-level years is ok, resitting C1 and C2 was practically encouraged at my school when we finished the entire syllabus unless someone got into the mid-high 90s. If you feel you can do better, why not, but the decision is yours.
Original post by tinto99
But will unis have to know/ will they even care? I heard that most don't care about resits anymore, and that they only look at your first take, but seeing as I took it a year early could I get away with it?

you do not need to tell them your module grades anyway. But there is no need to think you're 'getting away with it'.

I'll be retaking C1 in jan, whilst i do C3, and retaking C2 whilst doing C4 in june. It's all good.

Quick Reply

Latest