The Student Room Group

Worried about 2nd year retakes

Bit of background information:

I had a few surgeries throughout the year and have been ill throughout, I’ve had medical issues and multiple hospital trips, had a funeral, I’ve had a physical issue which made it really hard to go to uni especially being so far, been just not my best this year tbh. I study Chemistry.

I’m due to find out my exam results soon. I know I’ve failed them especially because I revised and studied a few days before the exam (I only managed to cover weeks 1-11 out of 24 weeks in the space of 4-5 days). No practise questions or anything. I only did 2 exams this year and both were 50% of different modules.

I think I needed 30% in one to pass and quite a lot higher in the other one to pass as I missed 30% of the assessment due to my ongoing issues. I’ve handed in assessments late too and sometimes just did it so late that most the marks were taken off by penalties.

I submitted in all medical evidence, etc, as much as I could and I don’t know if the exam board will accept them as we find out after results come out. I’ve been supported a lot throughout the year.

I’m just worried about retakes as I don’t want to fail them. Is it possible to turn this around considering retakes are mid August? It’s for two modules and just for the exams although they said coursework can be retaken if failed but not sure how true that is as I didn’t have a straight up answer.

I’m currently on a summer internship and I’ve started revising after work and will be using my weekends too. I know I got a few marks in the exam and it’s making me feel a bit confident that I was able to answer some questions with only knowing less than half the module and learning it a few days before the exam.

I’m super worried as I don’t want to take a supplemental year and heard retakes are a lot harder.

Has anyone been in this situation and turned it around for retakes (if it helps, I go to bristol).
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Bit of background information:

I had a few surgeries throughout the year and have been ill throughout, I’ve had medical issues and multiple hospital trips, had a funeral, I’ve had a physical issue which made it really hard to go to uni especially being so far, been just not my best this year tbh. I study Chemistry.

I’m due to find out my exam results soon. I know I’ve failed them especially because I revised and studied a few days before the exam (I only managed to cover weeks 1-11 out of 24 weeks in the space of 4-5 days). No practise questions or anything. I only did 2 exams this year and both were 50% of different modules.

I think I needed 30% in one to pass and quite a lot higher in the other one to pass as I missed 30% of the assessment due to my ongoing issues. I’ve handed in assessments late too and sometimes just did it so late that most the marks were taken off by penalties.

I submitted in all medical evidence, etc, as much as I could and I don’t know if the exam board will accept them as we find out after results come out. I’ve been supported a lot throughout the year.

I’m just worried about retakes as I don’t want to fail them. Is it possible to turn this around considering retakes are mid August? It’s for two modules and just for the exams although they said coursework can be retaken if failed but not sure how true that is as I didn’t have a straight up answer.

I’m currently on a summer internship and I’ve started revising after work and will be using my weekends too. I know I got a few marks in the exam and it’s making me feel a bit confident that I was able to answer some questions with only knowing less than half the module and learning it a few days before the exam.

I’m super worried as I don’t want to take a supplemental year and heard retakes are a lot harder.

Has anyone been in this situation and turned it around for retakes (if it helps, I go to bristol).

Hi there.

@5hyl33n could help.

Best wishes. :smile:
Reply 2
If you've kept the university in the loop regarding your issues, and submitted appropriate extenuating/mitigating circumstances forms with the required evidence, then I would imagine that the exam board would be taking this into account; and you might find that at least some late submission penalties get waived.

The summer resit papers should be broadly the same difficulty as the original ones. Some people taking that exam will be doing so because they missed the first sit through illness, and it wouldn't be fair to give them a paper that's intentionally more difficult. Don't forget that exam papers go through a review process to ensure they are at an appropriate level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending