The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

studying english in exeter

hey,

i'm a student from austria, studying english language and literature at vienna university. i'm going to spend a year in the uk (with a programme called erasmus) to continue my studies there, but i still haven't made up my mind where to go.

the following universities are offered by the programme: exeter, royal holloway, manchester, nottingham, edinburgh & aberdeen (scotland), and bangor (wales). where would you go?

could you tell me what exeter and the department of english is like? does it have a good reputation? how's the weather like in exeter? are there a lot of international students in exeter? maybe it sounds stupid, but is exeter a safe city?

would be really nice if as many of you could answer me as possible :smile: - coz i have to know where to go in 4 weeks' time!! heeeelp!

nice greetings from vienna, verena
Reply 1
Well, I'm an English student applying for English this year so I can't answer all of your questions but I'll try.

Out of the universities you've mentioned, I think the ones with the best reputation are Exeter, Royal Holloway, Nottingham, and Edinburgh, but other people might think differently.

Exeter does have a good reputation, including with employers as far as I am aware. The weather can be quite nice, it's in the south and near the sea so I think it gets quite sunny!

Exeter is quite a small place, so I think it's quite safe. Nottingham has a reputation for having a lot of crime (although I don't know if this is true). Exeter though seems like a nice place and I don't think there's much to worry about there.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
verenaonline
hey,

i'm a student from austria, studying english language and literature at vienna university. i'm going to spend a year in the uk (with a programme called erasmus) to continue my studies there, but i still haven't made up my mind where to go.

the following universities are offered by the programme: exeter, royal holloway, manchester, nottingham, edinburgh & aberdeen (scotland), and bangor (wales). where would you go?

could you tell me what exeter and the department of english is like? does it have a good reputation? how's the weather like in exeter? are there a lot of international students in exeter? maybe it sounds stupid, but is exeter a safe city?

would be really nice if as many of you could answer me as possible :smile: - coz i have to know where to go in 4 weeks' time!! heeeelp!

nice greetings from vienna, verena

Exeter is very safe; obviously this doesn't mean you should take a walk in the woods at 1am, but then where can you do that? :rolleyes: In summer, the weather is gorgeous and the campus is particularly pretty, with the gardens and greenery. You can study on the grass and lots of students go to the Ram (university bar) or the Imperial (Wetherspoons pub across the road from the university :biggrin: ), and drink Pimms and lemonade. In winter, too, it's warmer than the rest of the country.

The English department has a 5 score (internationally excellent) and some great professors, though of course there are always those who aren't so fantastic. The department can be a little disorganised, but you learn some very eclectic stuff, and there's a lot of emphasis on film to complement the reading.

There are a good few international students at Exeter (mostly Asian), but not as many as there would be in a city. There's also an Erasmus society: http://societies.ex.ac.uk/~erasmussoc/

If you want to study in a big city, however, with lots going on 24 hours a day, then I would choose somewhere else - Edinburgh sounds great (I'm thinking about applying there for a postgrad degree when I've graduated).
Reply 3
Exeter is gorgeous - I'm applying there this year for two courses, both involving English. It's quite small and fairly modern, but everyone there was really friendly when I went there for an open day and it's got a pretty good reputation. It's also the warmest and sunniest of the options you have!

That said, if you don't choose Exeter, I'd go for Edinburgh - it also has a great reputation and is a big city university with a wicked social life. If you can bear the massive cold winds that you always get there, it's another really great option.

Latest

Trending

Trending