The Student Room Group

Fake designer glasses

What do you think?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ebay probably, i bought some fake police glasses from china for about 6 quid, so i imagine you'll find prada on there aswell
Please don't buy fakes. If you can't afford the real thing just go without. You may as well just give your money directly to the drug and people trafficking rings.
Original post by Kennethx
That's not true. Buying counterfeit glasses provides people working in the less developed world jobs-- and I suspect no more are working in sweatshops producing glasses than are producing nike trainers . Buying fakes also provides competition for designer brands and helps lower prices of these goods for all.

No it doesn't.

The products are illegal, ergo the places making them aren't exactly going to be legit and up to scratch.

You're not providing people with jobs, you're encouraging slavery.

It won't lower prices, as the designers keep their prices high purposefully to be exclusive, and you'd have to be pretty stupid to lower your prices to compete with an illegal product.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-471679/Revealed-The-true-cost-buying-cheap-fake-goods.html

http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/media-centre/news-releases/2010/buying-fake-goods-comes-at-a-price-514125

http://www.soca.gov.uk/news/295-fake-goods-make-p13-billion-for-criminals-every-year

Don't be a cheap idiot. If you want something designer that badly, save up for it, get the real thing. Not only will you be buying ethically but you can also feel much better knowing you have the real deal, not some cheap knockoff that anyone you're trying to impress will be able to spot from miles away. And even on a practical note, the fake glasses aren't likely to live up to safety standards with regards to UV protection etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Lil Piranha
No it doesn't.

The products are illegal, ergo the places making them aren't exactly going to be legit and up to scratch.

You're not providing people with jobs, you're encouraging slavery.

It won't lower prices, as the designers keep their prices high purposefully to be exclusive, and you'd have to be pretty stupid to lower your prices to compete with an illegal product.

Well I think what apple and NIKE are doing with the sweatshops in china is slavery.
If Prada is not selling much because of competition from illegals, they will lower prices. People might be more persuaded to buy the authentic at a reasonable price.

There are ways to gain a good reputation, other than high prices. Advertising, quality, price and celebrity endorsement. As long as designers produce unaffordable glasses, I will buy replicas.
And anyone can quote a news article:
Here's an EU study reported in the telegraph that says replicas aren't that bad

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/7969335/Fake-goods-are-fine-says-EU-study.html
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyway can quote a news article:

Well I think what apple and NIKE are doing with the sweatshops in china is slavery.
If Prada is not selling much because of competition from illegals, they will lower prices. People might be more persuaded to buy the authentic at a reasonable price.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/7969335/Fake-goods-are-fine-says-EU-study.html

You do realise in that article the Association of Chief Police Officers says that buying counterfeit "is not a victimless crime."

Why don't you check out the govt. sites I posted.

And no, Prada, or for that matter any reputable designer, will not lower prices because some idiots think they're fooling everyone with £5 sunglasses.
Reply 6
You do realise in that article the Association of Chief Police Officers says that buying counterfeit "is not a victimless crime."

Why don't you check out the govt. sites I posted.

And no, Prada, or for that matter any reputable designer, will not lower prices because some idiots think they're fooling everyone with £5 sunglasses.

of course the policeman is going to say that, he's a bloody policeman. Counterfeiting is illegal, though there may be nothing wrong with it. There is always a politically correct line that policemen must rightly adopt. In any event, the policeman didn't commission the study. If you went on to read the entirety of the article, it goes on to say:

"It (the study) disputes claims that the counterfeiting of luxury brands is funding terrorism and organised crime, and argues there is little public appetite for tough law enforcement measures as consumers enjoy the bargains offered by the illegal trade, which has been estimated to be worth £1.3 billion in the UK."
(edited 12 years ago)
of course the policeman is going to say that, he's a bloody policeman.

It's an organisation, not a policeman.

"It (the study) disputes claims that the counterfeiting of luxury brands is funding terrorism and organised crime, and argues there is little public appetite for tough law enforcement measures as consumers enjoy the bargains offered by the illegal trade, which has been estimated to be worth £1.3 billion in the UK."

Yes, I read the article. Unfortunately for you, "disputes" does not mean "disproves", and there are many many times more articles saying it's bad than those saying it's OK.

Also I'm not sure the fact that "consumers enjoy the bargains" cancels out that fact that it's not OK to force children into prostitution. Just because there is "little public appetite for tough law enforcement" doesn't mean it's right. But hey, who cares as long as you look like cheap right??
People that buy fake designer clothes and accessories are sad wannabes really.

The whole point about the designer quality is that the product is well made and that is why it looks good. If you get a fake then you get a poorly made product just to have the designer label on it.
Reply 9
Original post by MagicNMedicine
People that buy fake designer clothes and accessories are sad wannabes really.

The whole point about the designer quality is that the product is well made and that is why it looks good. If you get a fake then you get a poorly made product just to have the designer label on it.

Uhhm the whole point of a designer product is the name. That is why they can charge 10* more for a product virtually identical in all respects but one.
That's not true. Buying counterfeit glasses provides people working in the less developed world jobs-- and I suspect no more are working in sweatshops producing glasses than are producing nike trainers . Buying fakes also provides competition for designer brands and helps lower prices of these goods for all.

Are they paying taxes in their country?

Are they contributing to their country's GDP?

Who benefits from the profits does it go back to the country's government or some criminal gang?

As for buying fakes providing competition for designer brands and helping lowering the price LOL. They are hardly competing are they. How come Louis Vuitton don't feel the need to lower their prices to compete with the £25 ones you can get on ebay or the market?
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Are they paying taxes in their country?

Are they contributing to their country's GDP?

Who benefits from the profits does it go back to the country's government or some criminal gang?

As for buying fakes providing competition for designer brands and helping lowering the price LOL. They are hardly competing are they. How come Louis Vuitton don't feel the need to lower their prices to compete with the £25 ones you can get on ebay or the market?

Thankyou!
Please don't buy fakes. If you can't afford the real thing just go without. You may as well just give your money directly to the drug and people trafficking rings.

Excuse me? Fakes by no means go directly to the "drug and people trafficking rings", what, is this because the sellers are often immigrants? Simply because something is affiliated to small, underground business does not mean those involved in it are despots, often they have kids to feed and are simply trying to make a living. Try to have a chat with a fake sunglasses seller (for example in Southwark), and figure out for yourself whether they are engaged in bringing women to this country to be abused, or whether they are doing it to feed their families.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by xTazx
Excuse me? Fakes by no means go directly to the "drug and people trafficking rings", what, is this because they are often immigrants? Simply because something is affliated to small, underground business does not mean those involved in it are despots, often they have kids to feed and are simply trying to make a living.

To make a counterfeit good, you need money.

You need a factory.

You need a "workforce".

You need to produce the material and process it.

You need to be able to convincingly recreate designs and labels.

You need a vast network of contacts and links to ship goods between countries and to avoid customs. You then need contacts and distributors within the country.

"Small underground businesses" my arse.
Reply 14
Original post by xTazx
Excuse me? Fakes by no means go directly to the "drug and people trafficking rings", what, is this because the sellers are often immigrants? Simply because something is affiliated to small, underground business does not mean those involved in it are despots, often they have kids to feed and are simply trying to make a living. Try to have a chat with a fake sunglasses seller (for example in Southwark), and figure out for yourself whether they are engaged in bringing women to this country to be abused, or whether they are doing it to feed their families.

thank you
Original post by xTazx
Try to have a chat with a fake sunglasses seller (for example in Southwark), and figure out for yourself whether they are engaged in bringing women to this country to be abused, or whether they are doing it to feed their families.

They may not be personally, but the people who provide them with the counterfeit goods to sell certainly are! They are just the end of a long chain of exploitation and suffering.
Reply 16
To make a counterfeit good, you need money.

You need a factory.

You need a "workforce".

You need to produce the material and process it.

You need to be able to convincingly recreate designs and labels.

You need a vast network of contacts and links to ship goods between countries and to avoid customs. You then need contacts and distributors within the country.

"Small underground businesses" my arse.

And what does any of that have to do with slavery or drugs? So far all I got that was there is a vast network of contacts who are also willing to let in counterfeits to make a quick buck.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Furthermore, If there is a legion of workers who are being exploited, that is a problem with the governance of many developing countries and not the counterfeiters. If these crime bosses didn't counterfeit then they could still exploit the masses to produce some other good, or even worse to produce drugs.

If the counterfeiters are bringing in goods to the country, and they didn't exist, those unscrupulous fellows who let in counterfeits would still be there trafficking drugs. So it's hard to see why counterfeiting should be implicated as a vice?
(edited 12 years ago)
And what does any of that have to do with slavery or drugs. So far all I got that was illegal from that was a vast network of contacts who are willing to bend the law to make a quick buck.

Because not only will your "workforce" be made up of people being exploited, but it is the "public face", along with drug dealers, pimps etc, of these gangs. It's one of many ways that they get their money, because people are stupid enough to buy their merchandise.
Reply 19
If you cant buy the real thing, then don't bother buying that cheap .... Would you buy fake toothpaste?

Quick Reply

Latest