The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi the more i read about the black box the more im regretting having one in me new car witch i have ordered will they allow me to cancel the policy and go else where with out one or am i stuck for a year with it and the more i read the more i think there dangeous as you cant speed up fast when needed swerve when you need to or brake hard when needed
Reply 41
When they fit the black box, do they photograph the car? I want to swap my wheels, but a bit concerned they'll spot the difference if I ever have a crash.
Did they photograph your car?
Reply 43
Booked in for next week. I'll try to remember to update this. But probably just going to stick with the current wheels now anyway, wait 12 months until I can insure with someone less fussy and decide if I still want to swap them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
No they don't photograph your car and u can put wat ever wheels you like on ur car as long as the legit wheels and everything is legal wats the Problem it's ur car not there's there only insuring you don't let the black box put u off I've only had myn in since December only ever had green (good) or Amber (needs improvement) and I Neva drive 20 in a 20 zone ect constantly puttin my foot down and forgetting its there I've just put new wheels on my corsa limited edition there's nothing in your policy to say you can't hope this helps lol
Katie :smile: X
(edited 8 years ago)
In the past 6 months or so their renewal premiums have improved considerably as they've started rebrokering among their panel of insurers for your renewal quote (they have a larger panel of underwriting insurers now - Ingenie acts as an insurance broker, does the data analytics, gives feedback info, provides the box etc) so their customer retention has improved markedly (all according to recent company report online). They have about 40,000 policies, growing very fast.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 46
Im 18 and have a 1.0L Toyota yaris (2001 GLS). ingenie was the cheapest insurer i found after using comparison sites and independent insurers.

I do actually believe that the messages i get every 10 days are complete bull but i dont care too much as i still have a good driving score.
I passed my practical test on the 5th of November 2015 (aged 17) and started driving by December. I've just got my 2nd price review, first review gave me £81 discount (spread over 8 months) which brought my insurance down to £210 a month.

Ingenie isnt as bad as most people make out (for me anyway) but I'm really looking forward to getting my NCB and having this black box removed.

I dont drive like an idiot (lmao ok maybe sometimes i do) but the speed limits are ridiculous. I live in crowded Leeds so theres tons of 20mph zones but no one really seems to pay attention to them except me which is why i regret choosing a black box insurance. I would rate ingenie 7/10 due to the discounts and also for making me aware of speed limits. i wouldnt normally look around for speed limits signs.
Reply 47
Original post by KJ.20
Im 18 and have a 1.0L Toyota yaris (2001 GLS). ingenie was the cheapest insurer i found after using comparison sites and independent insurers.

I do actually believe that the messages i get every 10 days are complete bull but i dont care too much as i still have a good driving score.
I passed my practical test on the 5th of November 2015 (aged 17) and started driving by December. I've just got my 2nd price review, first review gave me £81 discount (spread over 8 months) which brought my insurance down to £210 a month.

Ingenie isnt as bad as most people make out (for me anyway) but I'm really looking forward to getting my NCB and having this black box removed.

I dont drive like an idiot (lmao ok maybe sometimes i do) but the speed limits are ridiculous. I live in crowded Leeds so theres tons of 20mph zones but no one really seems to pay attention to them except me which is why i regret choosing a black box insurance. I would rate ingenie 7/10 due to the discounts and also for making me aware of speed limits. i wouldnt normally look around for speed limits signs.

I'm with Bell and my insurance is only £68 a month. Yours seems extremely high. I have only been driving around 1 year too.
Reply 48
Original post by ATW1
I'm with Bell and my insurance is only £68 a month. Yours seems extremely high. I have only been driving around 1 year too.

I've been driving around 6 months. just recently turned 18. I have no idea why its so high, probably coz of where i live. i was getting quotes of around 3 grand on comparison websites and thats telematics too
Put it this way, I was insured with Ingenie in Feb 2014. I had an accident with another vehicle and reported it to Ingenie, over 2 years on the claim is still unresolved.

Secondly, Ingenie only offer blackbox insurance. A good point is if you drive bang on the speed limits everywhere you will get quite a bit of money back, lets just hope you aren't in any collisions!

I personally would not recommend Ingenie based on a couple of factors. Firstly, the fact that my incident is still unresolved despite being told on multiple occasions that it would have been resolved over a year ago is outrageous.

Secondly, the black box is super strict though & I must add that it cannot be installed by yourself as they hide it behind the glove box. My car was brand new when one of their technical guys came round to fit the box in the passenger side of the car, and he scraped one of his tools along the side of the door and when I complained to Ingenie they refused that their technician done this and the guy didn't admit blame.

Other than that their customer service team are friendly and easy to deal with.

Hope this helps.
My son passed 1 day before his 18th. Ingenie were the only company we found that we could pay monthly, AND was less than £2000. He is driving a renault clio 2004 with me on his ins.... majority out there were quoting stupid figures like £5000 + £4000.00 and ALL UP FRONT! I know it has only be a couple of months but so far so good and he chose ingenie not because he could afford the monthly payments but also for the chance to "earn" some of it back. I liked the idea because it would encourage him to drive better in his first few years too. The other reason we chose ingenie was the great customer service we got on applying and the fact that their black boxes don't take into account the time you drive. He is planning an evening job so would have been penalised with other companies for driving after 10.30pm (not sure why that is a cut off time though). So from a parent's point of view, I would say, "give it a go"
Reply 51
since my previous reply, my opinion on ingenie has changed. It seems as if they just send you random messages. In the beginning when i drove close to the 40miles/week minimum, i received good feedback on all areas of my driving but now that im more confident with driving and do roughly 70 to 90miles a week, i get feedback telling me that my acceleration and speed are both good but my braking needs improvement or that my cornering is bad but then the after 10 days of driving the exact same way, I'll get feedback that my braking and cornering are good but my speed or. acceleration need improvement. I drive exactly the same as when i started driving but the only difference is, i drive more.

I cant wait until December when my policy ends and i can get the black box removed.
Original post by footballfan
hey guys just wondering, has anyone heard of ingenie car insurance, and if you have what were their prices, as they advertise themselves as insurance for 17-25 and review your driving style quarterly, if you have driving well then your premium for the next three months is reduced :confused:

Never go with Ingenie, i had so many problems with them. They cancelled my policy without directly telling me until 7 days aftet which has left me screwed now do not take put insurance with ingenie!!!!
Reply 53
lol at my previous post. it turns im an idiot and who was speeding on the motorway at 111 mph (in my 2001 1L Toyota Yaris), which means that ingenie called up today to let me know that my policy is being cancelled on the 31st.

I still cant believe my car is capable of going so fast and I can imagine that the engine would be screaming if it did manage to. I'm doing some research at the moment to try and find out if theres a possibility i have a dodgy black box in my car.
(edited 7 years ago)
i am with them and they are not very good at all i wouldn't advise it
I'm using Ingenie! Was a little uncertain to start with but they are quite good! They came and fitted my smart box the week after my policy started! However, the drivers feedback doesn't update often enough so you can't really tell how well you're driving if that makes sense! They are good and my policy is a lot less than most other policies!! Hope this helps xx
Reply 56
I have this insurance, been paying in the beginning around 230 a month and by driving it went down to 195 a month in the end. zone 2/3 london of address and I'm a men (for lady's the price is really lower..) . Great customer service. Now just waiting for the renewal price, hopefully it will go down a lot, because its too much pressure to pay that much for a young person who is trying to live by himself.. p.s. i been driving constantly around 300 miles a week.

Ligitas
I was wary of committing to ingenie too as I've never heard of it before nor had anyone I know heard of it. However they quoted me £1,600 for the year -half of the next closest offer. The fitter for the black box was a lovely outgoing person who let me watch him install the black box behind the glove compartment (which has never fallen off btw). Ever since, I check the app when the 10 days are up and look forward to getting something back (I only get an email/notification if I've driven 40 miles in those 10 days but I've never received warning notifications from the app). You forget the box is there as it's more lineant than people give it credit for. Idk what support I'd receive if I was involved in a crash, however atm I'm very satisfied and I would recommend it to new young drivers :smile:
Has anyone got any idea what they consider to be 'unacceptable speeding'? Like is it over 25% of the limit or something?
Reply 59
Original post by TomJPalmer
Has anyone got any idea what they consider to be 'unacceptable speeding'? Like is it over 25% of the limit or something?

I always hear different stories when it comes to acceptable tolerances with black boxes - to be safe though, you shouldn't be breaking the speed limit whilst driving with a black box.

Latest

Trending

Trending