The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Ideally, he should pick an Art-based subject, a Humanity and a Science - They'd be Art, Geography/English and Mathematics/Physics.

Maths/Physics are important is he applies for a BSc course, and most universities now require to see a portfolio of work.
Reply 2
I didn't do any mathematical or science subjects, so I applied for BA courses rather than BSc ones. Some courses are more technical than others - there are no two courses that are the same - so it helps somewhat to look around/find out about certain courses before you apply. (I think the course at Oxford Brookes is very creative from what I've seen, whereas the one at Liverpool seems more technical).

The subjects I study are: fine art, English Language and ICT, which isn't really entirely arty. But when I went to an interview I met people who had done Art, Graphics/Product Design & Media Studies (together) and had offers from Newcastle & Manchester. Your friend shouldn't have a problem if he finds the right course.
Reply 3
I studied Maths, Further Maths, Geography and Physics at A Level. I never did any Art at GCSE, although I did do Graphical Design.

I got five offers (Nottingham, Sheffield, Bath, Plymouth and Portsmouth - I withdrew an application to Cambridge). That's a mix of BSc and BA, but I opted to study the BA at the University of Portsmouth.
Reply 4
The only requirements ive heard about portfollios were from Cardiff, who told me they should demonstrate spatial, analytical and artistic qualities.

Apart from that, I've gathered a wide range of media is good, including photography and sculpture, but drawing is particularly important, both good quality with a clear and analytical motive, as well as a sketch book, showing thought processes and ideas.

I don't think you need to inlcude any architectural related work, but it might help to demonstrate interest.
Reply 5
oxford brookes asking for portfolio and interview(I read that in their prospectus)
Reply 6
I think it would be best for you to take up art based subjects like art and design or graphics and pic up any other subject you like.
If you like maths then choose it as one of your a levels, if not then i wouldn't recommend choosing a subject you are not interested in. Most university ask for a either a C or above in GCSE.
I think most of the students from sheffield have a arts based background and a minority including myself have studied maths at a level. So i'd recommend going for an art based a level, then pick up the a levels you are most comfortable with.
The art subject you do will provide a could base for building up your portfolio for interviews.
Reply 7
i got offers at plymouth, brighton, portsmouth and sheffield based on my A levels alone (maths, art and psychology).

small portfolio (in the post) for cardiff.

portfolio and interview at oxford brookes.

in order to cope with the course i was on at sheffield, i think it definetly helps to have studied either art or design previously. although im not sure if this is a requirement.

if in doubt, email admissions tutors.
Reply 8
NSW
i got offers at plymouth, brighton, portsmouth and sheffield based on my A levels alone (maths, art and psychology).

If you don't mind me asking, how come you dropped out of the architecture course at sheffield? Was it to do with the course itself or personal reasons?

sorry for being nosey, only i'm hoping to do that course and just wondered
Reply 9
giacommo - ask away! (i was gonna message this to you, but i suppose others might be interested)

there were a lot of reasons why i dropped out.
i found the course much less academic, and much more arty than i was expecting. work for lectures (formal learning, essays and exams) makes up much less of the course than project work (more creative, and i suppose independent).
group working became quite a problem for me, as a LOT of the project work is dependent on this, which i found particularly difficult as im used to working alone.
i feel that lack of personal experience stumped my creativity a far amount, having hardly left the same town for the last 18 year. i think this is one course where taking a gap year, or being a mature student can really help.
also i was very unsure about the course before i started, i think you have to be fairly sure that you want to do architecture for the next 3/7/50 years of your life. i felt trapped in it!

having said that, i think the course at sheffield is a very good one if that is what you want to do (it just wasnt right for me). the staff aim to be supportive, and lecture and workshop teaching was almost always excellent. sheffield is a fantastic city, and the uni/union as a whole is a very good one.

...oh, and ofcourse, no where else has the paternoster!

[i just read that you are doing architecture and landscape. i think this course is more demanding, as its basically two-in-one. but great if you're interested in the landscape side of it. i'm not sure about the landscape department, but we had a talk from a guy down there and it seemed all good.]
Reply 10
ummm..that's interesting.

You see one of the reasons I choose the course was because of how they seem to emphasise group work. Like you, I'm used to working alone , but that's not what an architect does! It must have been a good way to get to know your fellow students though?

How do you mean 'the staff AIM to be supportive'?! Are they actually not?

'i feel that lack of personal experience stumped my creativity a far amount, having hardly left the same town for the last 18 year.'
So how many people have actually had gap years on the course?

There are a lot less people doing architecture and landscape, would you say that they have more 'one-one' help from tutors etc?

Out of interest, what happens if you do drop out? what happens to all of the tuiton fees you've paid/accomadation? How long did it take you to realise the course wasn't for you? Do a lot of people drop out?

And last but not least...Where did you live in Sheffield?!

There you go..that's a proper grilling!!
Reply 11
My friend did History, French, Maths and Art. I think he's predicted B's and A's and he's put Edinburgh as his firm (BBB), even though he had a few higher offers - Newcastle, Notts etc as far as I can remember. He had to send a portfolio, I think just to Cardiff though.
Reply 12
You see one of the reasons I choose the course was because of how they seem to emphasise group work. Like you, I'm used to working alone , but that's not what an architect does! It must have been a good way to get to know your fellow students though?

yes, a very good way to get to know fellow students, one of the best courses for that i think. I suppose i thought i could educate myself into liking working in a group, but now i've realised its just not part of my personality.

How do you mean 'the staff AIM to be supportive'?! Are they actually not?

personally i found them very supportive, although some other students felt they werent around enough. this was probably because we had different school styles (ie. i didnt have much contact with my art teachers). the tutors did seem to be stretched slightly by the shear number of students on the course.

So how many people have actually had gap years on the course?

hmm, my memories a bit hazy here. from the group of 8 i was in, 4 were straight from school, 2 had gap years, 1 was a mature student, and the other was never there. from the people i stayed with on the glasgow trip 1 was my age, the other two were gap students. from that i would have to guess 40% gap year, and 60% from school. gap year students just seemed a lot more mature and confident, although thats not necesarily caused by there gap year.

There are a lot less people doing architecture and landscape, would you say that they have more 'one-one' help from tutors etc?

i really couldnt answer that one. in theory i suppose they should have tutorials with both the architecture and landscape staff.

Out of interest, what happens if you do drop out? what happens to all of the tuiton fees you've paid/accomadation?

i didnt pay tuition fees because i am from a "low income household" (although the system has changed, and i have no idea what will happen now to tuition fees)
i had to give 4 weeks notice to leave student accommodation, or four weeks rent in lieu.
other than that, i just signed a form to withdraw, and packed my bags :frown:
...although i am still paying for internet and the phone bill for the house i was in, which is a total pain in the arse.

How long did it take you to realise the course wasn't for you? Do a lot of people drop out?

well, at first i thought it was just taking a while to get into it. then after 6 weeks a friend of mine (and possibly the only proper friend i made) left the course, and then later left sheffield. from then on i was trying as hard as i could to get into it. i did all of the work until i had finished the semester after christmas, so i took all the exams and submitted the coursework, but i knew it didnt feel right. then i just made the decision, i was dreading started the second semesters project work, so i thought it best to just leave. it was a positive decision for me.
i have no idea how many people dropped out, other than me and my mate. i think the main reason people drop out is that the course isnt for them. and i dont think i could have known that while applying during taking my A levels.

And last but not least...Where did you live in Sheffield?!

ah, i lived in the attic of a university owned house about 10 mins from the uni. i didnt apply for this, and it didnt bother me at first. but i think i became increasingly withdrawn because of it. i will definitely try and get in halls next time. all of the halls are in a nice area of sheffeild (i believe they are starting to build new ones?!) but quite far from the uni in my opinion. although my friend who dropped out was in victoria hall closer to the uni and the city centre.

There you go..that's a proper grilling!!

just the way i like it!!
As said before it depends if you choose a BSc/BA/MA/etc course.

I have BBB in maths, physics and graphic design and got unconditionals from Strathcylde, a technical/engineering based university and Edinburgh, with a more creative lean towards the subject.

You should definitely have some sort of artistic background though, surely? I don't know how graphic communication is in the english education system, but in Scotland it is very technological design and drawings which is a definite help for architecture obviously.

This year I was doing Advanced Higher Physics, Chemistry, Graphic Communication and Higher Biology... so it's not all about art obviously.

Also, Edinburgh and Strathclyde do not interview most applicants.
Reply 14
Has anyone done A level History of Art? If so, could you tell me what it invloves and if possible, compare it to another subject?

(I didnt do art or tech for GCSE so my school wont let me do A level (only revently developed a love for architechture) so its the only Art related subject open to me)

Latest

Trending

Trending