The Student Room Group

What does existential mean?

I understand the meaning of "existentialism", but I'm a little confused about what "existential" means as an adjective. One of the definitions given is "relating to or dealing with existence".
In that context, could the phrase "existential nightmare" be used to describe the mental state of a person who is doubting his purpose or meaning in life? Or am I misunderstanding the definition?
Reply 1
I would imagine that "existential nightmare" equates to "existential crisis" which is indeed when a person questions their purpose and reason for existence, and whether there is any meaning or value to their existence.
Reply 2
Original post by Nut.
I would imagine that "existential nightmare" equates to "existential crisis" which is indeed when a person questions their purpose and reason for existence, and whether there is any meaning or value to their existence.

Thanks! I think existential crisis was the term I was looking for. :smile:
Original post by snow leopard

How original. Google is hardly the most useful tool for somebody looking for clear, unambiguous definitions.
Original post by snow leopard

You spelt definition wrong.
Reply 6
I should read more about Existentialism. Despite being a 'postmodernist' type of philosophy
(although it predates postmodernism) it is not necessarily incompatible with there being a God. On the other hand, an existence with no set meaning in a universe that God presumably had a set meaning for seems like a weird way to run things.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending