The Student Room Group

Any other cheerleaders?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emily Jane
There's a few allstar squads I can think of in the Cardiff area if you're interested as you sound quite experienced (whereas uni teams can have quite a lot of new people).

Ooh. Definitely. Could you please hit me up with a PM if you know how I could get in contact with them? Thanks for telling me though!
Reply 41
This has only being said twice by oooooooooooooooooooooo cheerleaders :perv:

I think calling it a sport is a bit loss but what the heck even trampolining and skipping are referred to as sports

But I do admire the work ethnic of cheerleaders. The girl at my uni train at least 3 times a week
Doesn't help me with my revision as I'm generally to busy :lurk:
(edited 12 years ago)
Why are so many British schools and universities taking on American traditions? "Do you cheer for your uni squad?" You're not in an American teen film. :rolleyes:

Everything is bigger and better in America, a British cheer-leading squad sounds cringe-worthy. I have nothing against gymnastics but why not just call it that instead of having to turn it into some toe-curling support group for your uni sports teams? It sounds so tacky.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pandora_Eyes
Why are so many British schools and universities taking on American traditions? "Do you cheer for your uni squad?" You're not in an American teen film. :rolleyes:

Everything is bigger and better in America, a British cheer-leading squad sounds cringe-worthy. I have nothing against gymnastics but why not just call it that instead of having to turn it into some toe-curling support group for your uni sports teams? It sounds so tacky.

But it's not gymnastics... we do gymnastics in it but also do jumps, stunts, dance and other things. Most uni squads are purely competitive and the squads that double dot and Emily Jane are talking about are extremely hard to get on to, train three times a week and don't go anywhere near a basketball court.

Besides, it might have started in America but there are teams across the continent and at Worlds (the Americans like to think they give others a fair chance like a world cup XD) there were teams from Britain, Europe, China and Asia. In fact China won a couple of Worlds I believe!
Reply 44
Original post by Pandora_Eyes

I'm not exactly sure I'd use the work 'cringe-worthy' (it starts around 0:55)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Fb4kx_bEQ
Reply 45
TBH the girl soccer team is better looking that the chearleading team at my uni. But that's just IMO.
I coach and compete allstar, level 2 or 3, depends on whether it's all girl or co-ed. Do regional and national competitions mainly - BCA, Future Cheer, Jamfest, ICC etc. Did go to the internationals a few years ago but that was when I was competing more than coaching. Going to Blackpool Empress Ballroom this weekend for another regional than that's it for 2011!

I don't think we're really that bad for allstar teams in this country, the UK cheerleading scene is never going to be the same as it is in the US although the standard here has vastly improved. I mean with our level 2 squad we're having to hit tick-tocks braced/with no release and flyaways with no release just to place well (released they would be level 4) and maybe 2/3 years ago that definitely wouldn't have been the case. But anyway loads of people just trophy hunt now instead of levelling up.

Unity Black, Ascension Eagles, Aviators just to name a few are all of a very, very high standard at open level and compete at Worlds. I agree the UK probably isn't going to field junior 5 teams anytime soon but things are certainly going in the right direction. It's difficult with University squads though because you have your atheletes for maximum 3-4 years and it's hard to get everyone at the same standard unless you have requirements for your competition teams.

Tumbling has never come naturally to me either, I think some peoples BHS look so effortless and graceful, I'm just too slow in the air! I am disgustingly flexible though, I don't really fly, especially not on all-girl I'm too tall but I can still hit bow and arrow and needle which I'm pretty pleased with!
I have to say, having done gymnastics for a while, when I actually had flexibility, and being as totally inept at dancing as I am, I have a lot of respect for cheerleaders. If cheerleading teams over here looking for guys for lifting, you could try looking in the rugby teams. Ask for lineout lifters. Some of them might be game for it, and generally, if you're comfortable doing something similar, only lifting a guy caked in mud and sweat, lifting, more than likely, a very athletic girl is going to be far easier in terms of strength. Techniques might differ though, I'm not familiar with the art of lifting girls. :wink:

As to why are British universities taking on American traditions and practices, why not? They took rugby and cricket and made it their own, why not us with cheerleading?
to me competitive cheer leading is more like a kind of gymnastics. though they have got a competitive environment and set of rules to perform which makes it a sport but steel people think them as the entertainer of different sports.
Reply 49
Original post by James Ritchie
I have to say, having done gymnastics for a while, when I actually had flexibility, and being as totally inept at dancing as I am, I have a lot of respect for cheerleaders. If cheerleading teams over here looking for guys for lifting, you could try looking in the rugby teams. Ask for lineout lifters. Some of them might be game for it, and generally, if you're comfortable doing something similar, only lifting a guy caked in mud and sweat, lifting, more than likely, a very athletic girl is going to be far easier in terms of strength. Techniques might differ though, I'm not familiar with the art of lifting girls. :wink:

As to why are British universities taking on American traditions and practices, why not? They took rugby and cricket and made it their own, why not us with cheerleading?

Most rugby players are not strong, just big. They also tend to get injured a lot so you will teach one guy and he gets injured for a month.

I just started cheerleading and find it ok to hold a 11-12 stone girl. Anything less is just easy.

If you want good backs/bases you need guys who do weightlifting, strongman or a myriad of other strength related sports.
Original post by HP15
Most rugby players are not strong, just big. They also tend to get injured a lot so you will teach one guy and he gets injured for a month.

I just started cheerleading and find it ok to hold a 11-12 stone girl. Anything less is just easy.

If you want good backs/bases you need guys who do weightlifting, strongman or a myriad of other strength related sports.

We've got two hench hockey players on our co-ed team - one of them single based (aka held him in the air at shoulder height with no-one else helping, for the non-cheerleaders) the other three times in a row the other day. Nice to see a guy cheerleading :smile:
I was! Then coach got strict so I quit aha. I was a flyer and it was hard considering I'd never done gymnastics before. I was a sub too so hardly got a chance to do anything. I kinda miss it now, may practice and compete next year aha. Are you all competing at that comp in Loughborough in Feb?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Superstar6318
I was! Then coach got strict so I quit aha. I was a flyer and it was hard considering I'd never done gymnastics before. I was a sub too so hardly got a chance to do anything. I kinda miss it now, may practice and compete next year aha. Are you all competing at that comp in Loughborough in Feb?

Yep :biggrin:
Reply 53
I recently started cheer when a couple of mates thought it would be funny to go to tryouts. I found it actually quite fun and carried it on :smile: My uni team will be competing this April, I'll be doing group stunts and possibly partner stunts! I haven't got as much stick as I would've thought though :P (I'm a guy btw)
Ohhh cheerleaders :coma:

Spoiler

I just felt the need I had to. :wink:
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Yep :biggrin:

Good luck! Are you a base/backspot/flyer?
Original post by Last Chance
Ohhh cheerleaders :coma:

Spoiler

I just felt the need I had to. :wink:

We are more than just that :wink:
Original post by Superstar6318
Good luck! Are you a base/backspot/flyer?

Side base... some how managed to get myself the lead base spots in all our lib stunts this routine... argh :/
Reply 58
We've got two hench hockey players on our co-ed team - one of them single based (aka held him in the air at shoulder height with no-one else helping, for the non-cheerleaders) the other three times in a row the other day. Nice to see a guy cheerleading :smile:

I aim to improve my snatch, clean & jerk and Overhead push press to 100KG or more.

Currently sitting at 80ish Kgs =/ but I've just started them. I do worry my flyer notices my boner when I'm close to her. She is preeeety cute.

would sex her up :biggrin:
Side base... some how managed to get myself the lead base spots in all our lib stunts this routine... argh :/

At least you're not/weren't a sub!

I tried frontspotting, is probably the easiest but my god, flying is so hard! I can't even do the stretches, it's crazy.

I quit cheer but now I miss it!

Quick Reply

Latest