The Student Room Group

Is doing a Ouija board a good idea ?

Scroll to see replies

how do you play an ouija board??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
on factual terms, the only 'harm' that'll come to you is that you might be really paranoid - e.g. afraid to be in the house alone, scared of the dark, to scared to sleep, hearing the slightest noise in the night and thinking the anti-christ is stood outside your door.

its up to you - only you would know.
pointless idea is pointless.
Original post by Dr_Alchem

In all honesty OP, why would you want to anyway? Yh fair enough its spooky, but actually think about it - what could possibly make it move? Its not metal, so no sort of magnetic field...even if its not demons/ghosts, its weird ish nonetheless

I mean of all the stories you've heard, no one has come back and said "hey lads, that Ouija board was great fun[I/]" have they? So no...just to be on the safe side

The ideomotor effect and/or a guy hidden behind the curtain with a stick if anyone sees things moving.

Maybe because nothing happened..
A group of 4-8 of us are considering playing Monopoly together for a laugh. None of us are bankers , but are all fairly open-minded to it. We're thinking of doing it in a branch of Natwest for the true atmosphere. Or theres a woods by us where someone hung themselves after a dodgy investment fell through, and theres a tiny building in there we could do it in,that could be freaky too !

We all got really excited till our Economics teacher, who even though isnt a capitalist herself, said its a really bad idea to mess around with stuff we dont fully understand , and that there could be terrible consequences.

Is she just fear-mongering or should we genuinely be concerned with doing it ? Anyone here done it themselves and have anything to share ? Or any advice at all ?
Original post by Devil's Advocate
A group of 4-8 of us are considering playing Monopoly together for a laugh. None of us are bankers , but are all fairly open-minded to it. We're thinking of doing it in a branch of Natwest for the true atmosphere. Or theres a woods by us where someone hung themselves after a dodgy investment fell through, and theres a tiny building in there we could do it in,that could be freaky too !

We all got really excited till our Economics teacher, who even though isnt a capitalist herself, said its a really bad idea to mess around with stuff we dont fully understand , and that there could be terrible consequences.

Is she just fear-mongering or should we genuinely be concerned with doing it ? Anyone here done it themselves and have anything to share ? Or any advice at all ?

humerous edit was humerous.
Reply 46
I wouldn't do it if I were you. You might encounter some ghosts! Eek!

*ahem*

What's the worst that could happen? :colone:
Don't

Source - Paranormal Activity 1

:P
Original post by Like a BAWS
A group of 4-8 of us are considering doing a Ouija board together for a laugh. None of us are religious , but are all fairly open-minded to it. We're thinking of doing it in an abandoned building for the true atmosphere. Or theres a woods by us where someone hung themselves, and theres a tiny building in there we could do it in,that could be freaky too !

We all got really excited till our RE teacher, who even though isnt religious herself, said its a really bad idea to mess around with stuff we dont fully understand , and that there could be terrible consequences.

Is she just fear-mongering or should we genuinely be concerned with doing it ? Anyone here done it themselves and have anything to share ? Or any advice at all ? :smile:

Fearmongering. This is 2011 for christ's sake. There won't be any consequences.
Reply 49

A group of 4-8 of us are considering doing a Ouija board together for a laugh. None of us are religious , but are all fairly open-minded to it. We're thinking of doing it in an abandoned building for the true atmosphere. Or theres a woods by us where someone hung themselves, and theres a tiny building in there we could do it in,that could be freaky too !

We all got really excited till our RE teacher, who even though isnt religious herself, said its a really bad idea to mess around with stuff we dont fully understand , and that there could be terrible consequences.

Is she just fear-mongering or should we genuinely be concerned with doing it ? Anyone here done it themselves and have anything to share ? Or any advice at all ? :smile:

Do it, and get back to us :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by PendulumBoB
The ideomotor effect and/or a guy hidden behind the curtain with a stick if anyone sees things moving.

Maybe because nothing happened..

Yh I wiki'd it as I was typing, hoped nobody would check...so much for that plan :tongue:
^^This.

^ I apologise for being a dick in that case. :tongue:

Actually I'm rather impressed at how this is in everyday issues.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Smoke some weed whilst you're at it. Should make things interesting.
Reply 53
Original post by oPJ_Lad
Do it, and get back to us :smile:

I certainly shall !
Original post by Wookie42
Depends what you believe. Personally though, I wouldn't. Know someone who got pretty messed up when she fooled around with something she didn't fully understand and that put me off plenty, regardless of whether anything actually happens when you do it. I'd rather not find out.

Edit: yeah, thought I'd get negged for this...

Same. My mum knows someone who started having hallucinations after using one :s-smilie: People walking through walls and stuff.
Reply 55
I did a Ouija board once and it worked. I had the board out and I said "Are there any spirits here?". It slowly started to move. First towards 'N', and then towards 'O'. Then it stopped. So I guess it actually did give a correct answer.

It's total BS. Any adult who is actually scared of it is a total idiot. There's certainly no good reason to either do it or not do it.

As for "messing with things you don't understand", what is there to understand? It's a board with some letters on it. It's an inanimate piece of wood, as far as things go it's pretty damn easy to understand.
Reply 56
What really interests me is that I've heard the most terrifying accounts from people I know wouldn't lie, and people I know who would've been in a similar position to me in the sense that they're not religious, and some were even incredibly sceptical of it at first.

Many have told me stuff that's happened which people cant just put down to the ideomotor effect. I've been told of the little thing moving by itself with nobody touching it, and even heard one account of the table levitating off of the floor. The only sceptical explanation you can really come up with for that is that people let their imagination get the better of them, which I know is still a plausible explanation, especially when a combination of being very tired and paranoid kicks in .

Some people have mentioned filming it in their comments, think this would be a good idea then ? Or if these demons/ghosts/whatever did exist, would this further aggravate them , or even do the opposite and make it less likely for anything to happen ?

For your own safety don't do it...unless you want to end up in rehab your whole life :/
What really interests me is that I've heard the most terrifying accounts from people I know wouldn't lie, and people I know who would've been in a similar position to me in the sense that they're not religious, and some were even incredibly sceptical of it at first.

Many have told me stuff that's happened which people cant just put down to the ideomotor effect. I've been told of the little thing moving by itself with nobody touching it, and even heard one account of the table levitating off of the floor. The only sceptical explanation you can really come up with for that is that people let their imagination get the better of them, which I know is still a plausible explanation, especially when a combination of being very tired and paranoid kicks in .

Some people have mentioned filming it in their comments, think this would be a good idea then ? Or if these demons/ghosts/whatever did exist, would this further aggravate them , or even do the opposite and make it less likely for anything to happen ?

Maybe the people saying these things were lying?
isn't this thread two weeks late?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending