The Student Room Group

Is doing a Ouija board a good idea ?

A group of 4-8 of us are considering doing a Ouija board together for a laugh. None of us are religious , but are all fairly open-minded to it. We're thinking of doing it in an abandoned building for the true atmosphere. Or theres a woods by us where someone hung themselves, and theres a tiny building in there we could do it in,that could be freaky too !

We all got really excited till our RE teacher, who even though isnt religious herself, said its a really bad idea to mess around with stuff we dont fully understand , and that there could be terrible consequences.

Is she just fear-mongering or should we genuinely be concerned with doing it ? Anyone here done it themselves and have anything to share ? Or any advice at all ? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably makes for a great drinking game. Drink when it hits a vowel.
Reply 2
TBH I agree with your teacher. Chances are there are no such things as ghosts etc but personally i feel a lot happier not messing with the occult.
Reply 3
It's not a great idea on the basis that there's loads of better stuff you could do with your time.
As to whether anything bad can happen due to it...basically, no. It's a board game manufactured by Hasbro.
Reply 4
Depends what you believe. Personally though, I wouldn't. Know someone who got pretty messed up when she fooled around with something she didn't fully understand and that put me off plenty, regardless of whether anything actually happens when you do it. I'd rather not find out.

Edit: yeah, thought I'd get negged for this...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
I wouldn't mess with it. If there's nothing to it then there is absolutely no point. If you think there might be you want to keep well away from it. Sounds to me that you might think there's something in it -you say you are open minded - so I would heed the warning and stay well clear.
Considering it's a board game owned by Hasbro, you'll probably be fine! It isn't ghosts that move the thing, it's the ideomotor response.
Reply 7
DO NOT USE IT ALL AT! I used it once and boy was it scary, btw only works during the night. My friend got possessed and went crazy and jumped off the building, trust me dont approach this board its going to kill you.
Original post by Cura
My friend got possessed and went crazy and jumped off the building.

Of course he did :rolleyes:

In response to the neg, think it through please. You're more than welcome to believe whatever you like about the occult, but I'd you genuinely believe these nonsense boards have the capacity to possess somebody and make them kill themselves, I'd advise seeking psychiatric help.
(edited 12 years ago)
And then he conveniently jumped in to a pile of hay
Original post by de_monies

Obviously had been playing too much assassin's creed :teehee:

I know somebody who does that...
Original post by Like a BAWS
A group of 4-8 of us are considering doing a Ouija board together for a laugh. None of us are religious , but are all fairly open-minded to it. We're thinking of doing it in an abandoned building for the true atmosphere. Or theres a woods by us where someone hung themselves, and theres a tiny building in there we could do it in,that could be freaky too !

We all got really excited till our RE teacher, who even though isnt religious herself, said its a really bad idea to mess around with stuff we dont fully understand , and that there could be terrible consequences.

Is she just fear-mongering or should we genuinely be concerned with doing it ? Anyone here done it themselves and have anything to share ? Or any advice at all ? :smile:

Ouija boards are just a pile of rubbish - they only work with open-minded individuals because you need to already half-believe it in order to unconsciously move the pointer around. Your teacher is probably recommending against it because its a slippery slope, one minute it's just a board, then some gullible friend will believe in it and the next you know you're holding mock sacrifices and throwing dead cats at people :s-smilie:
It's neither a good nor a bad idea.

Spoiler

^That.

We do understand how they work; some people prefer to put it down to spirits which could lead to them doing other crazy stuff.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Architecture-er
Your teacher is probably recommending against it because its a slippery slope, one minute it's just a board, then some gullible friend will believe in it and the next you know you're holding mock sacrifices and throwing dead cats at people :s-smilie:

:lol:
Reply 15

I love assassins creed!!
Id be careful, my mate almost got his eye poked out once... Sometimes the corners on those board games can be sharp
Reply 17
Original post by Marc707
Best not to mess around with things we dont fully understand

I bet you don't even fully understand how your computer works, you hypocrite. Even if we weren't fully aware of how ouija boards work, you'd be pathetic.
Reply 18
you've watched to many tv and movies!

do it and record it... then youtube it..
Reply 19
no physical harm will come to you but you might get paranoid and not be able to sleep for a while

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending