The Student Room Group

Is doing a Ouija board a good idea ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Like a BAWS

DON'T DO IT! I knew a girl who knew a guy who was BFF with my great-aunt's pet goldfish's brother-in-law's adopted sister and she did a Ouija board when she was 13 and died seventy years later!!1 Dangerous shizz, fo' sho'.
Original post by Like a BAWS
A group of 4-8 of us are considering doing a Ouija board together for a laugh. None of us are religious , but are all fairly open-minded to it. We're thinking of doing it in an abandoned building for the true atmosphere. Or theres a woods by us where someone hung themselves, and theres a tiny building in there we could do it in,that could be freaky too !

We all got really excited till our RE teacher, who even though isnt religious herself, said its a really bad idea to mess around with stuff we dont fully understand , and that there could be terrible consequences.

Is she just fear-mongering or should we genuinely be concerned with doing it ?

:iiam:
People who are saying "It's best not to mess around with things that aren't understood"

Uh... well, hate to break it to you, but the functioning behind the ouija board is already understood and explained. It's nothing to do with ghosts, the dead, satan, the occult, or anything supernatural for that matter. I know, I know, shocking. Instead it's due to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_effect

So go ahead, the only thing that might trouble you the subconscious of you and your friends. Not ghosts.
Nothing dangerous will happen unless you make it. Games like these along with pendulums (back and forth for yes, side to side for no etc.) and similar effects have proved to have been caused by nothing but the ideomotor effect - look it up :smile:
Basically, the glass will move if you really do expect it to; you cause it to move yourself by subtle, unconscious movements of your own hands.

But...might be worth seeing if you can scare your friends ****less, eh? :P
Well, are you the sort of person who watches a scary film and sleeps soundly or do you quake in your bed at night imagining the spectres homing in on you?

If you're the latter (i.e. neurotic) don't bother because one of your friends will move the marker around for a laugh and you'll wet yourself.
Reply 85
Original post by TheDannyManCan
But...might be worth seeing if you can scare your friends ****less, eh? :P

Or make the "spirit" tell them they have t3h AIDS. :ahee:
Reply 86
You're asking about it so you must be stupid, therefor you have to do it because it'll be hilarious for your friends.
Reply 87
Original post by dring
I bet you don't even fully understand how your computer works, you hypocrite. Even if we weren't fully aware of how ouija boards work, you'd be pathetic.

Why are you getting angry and being insulting? I was just giving my opinion and what I thought was some helpful advice. I dont understand why youve attacked me in this vicious manner?
Original post by HellOnHighHeels
OP, only use them if you've done protective spells etc.
Otherwise, NO.

Hahahahaha.

OP, me and my friends did it once for a laugh, nothing happened :sigh:
Reply 89
They can be very dangerous. Don't mess with spirits, once you've contacted them, you wont be able to get rid of them without help from people who can contact the spirit world. If you meet a bad spirit you could be putting your health and safety at risk. Just dont risk it!!
Reply 90
Original post by stisop09
They can be very dangerous. Don't mess with spirits, once you've contacted them, you wont be able to get rid of them without help from people who can contact the spirit world. If you meet a bad spirit you could be putting your health and safety at risk. Just dont risk it!!

Lol.
I find it very strange that usually rational people get scared about the use of Ouija boards. When I was in Year 7, me and my friends made one and played it in the toilets at school (:colondollar:). Somehow our teacher found out and we had to have a lunchtime meeting with the headteacher to discuss how serious it was and how if the bishop (???) discovered what we'd been doing we would get the school into trouble with the Church. Of course, this made it 100x more exciting. When I told my mum about this, she agreed it was dangerous to use because you don't know what could happen. She is an atheist and doesn't believe in ghosts. Weird.

OP, unless you are in Year 7 and could get your school into trouble with the church, I wouldn't bother.
Reply 92
Original post by Marc707
Why are you getting angry and being insulting? I was just giving my opinion and what I thought was some helpful advice. I dont understand why youve attacked me in this vicious manner?

I insulted you because the insult was both relevant and accurate, not because it was actually an insult - I don't really care how you feel about me telling you the truth. I really doubt you understand how your computer works, and so you were being a hypocrite by using it to tell people not to meddle with things they don't understand. This is an aspect of common superstitious thinking that I consider foolish, and desire to see disappear.

I referred to your views as pathetic because that's what I honestly think of them. I can't remotely agree with a viewpoint that will cling to superstition above understanding. I don't even think 'pathetic' is an extreme word to use in the situation.
Reply 93
Original post by RobertWhite
Lol.

Why lol!? :biggrin:
awesomeness :smile:
Reply 94
Why lol!? :biggrin:
awesomeness :smile:

I was hoping it would sum up my response without having to write much and explain myself.

They can be very dangerous. Don't mess with spirits, once you've contacted them

Point 1: I don't believe spirits exist, at the moment I'm saying, "is anyone here?" and I'm not getting any kind of response; why do I need a silly board with letters on it to do this? Give me an evidence or a story that's been proved to say different and I might change my mind.

If you meet a bad spirit you could be putting your health and safety at risk

Point 2: "Bad spirit"? - I haven't heard any serious or proved stories of anyone ever getting hurt by 'spirits'. We're just bits of carbon, we don't live on after death, and I don't see how a piece of me could just stay here. The notion of a 'soul' is an incredibly old idea that has been around for such as long time people just believe it to be true.

You wont be able to get rid of them without help from people who can contact the spirit world

Point 3: Yeah, because loads of people can contact the spirit world? It's a massive hoax believed by people who are gullible or just uneducated.
Reply 95
This is my advice: best not to meddle with things we dont understand. If you want to go ahead with it, thats fine, it will most likely be an entertaining, harmless experience.

Why would OP be more likely to encounter a bad spirit than he would a bad man (or women) if he goes to the pub? Or do they just get pissy if you don't use the Ouija board Hasbro released?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending