The Student Room Group

Do you know anyone who doesn't wash when they're on their period?

Not trolling. What I have to say, in reality, almost made me gag out loud when someone told me this. It is filthy.

A Muslim colleague told me today that she doesn't shower at all when on her period, for 4 days straight+. She said it is disgusting that I do, as the blood would go everywhere. Goes how she doesn't know anyone who showers when on their period. So I asked if it is a cultural thing? She said no, not only muslims do it, she knows Hindu Indians who do that too... So I said, hmm are you sure? Never heard such crap. Then she goes how I'm absolutely disgusting showering on my period. I thought and said, so how long do you go without showering, that's disgusting! Surely you would if anything, need to shower more when on period... I don't know anyone of my culture who does that, it is unhygienic and noone would wanna be in a square mile of her if they knew.

So she's on her period, I walk to the bathroom after and from the floor above I can smell nasty smell when walking down the stairs to the bathroom of work. I walk into the lady's room after she went and used it to change her pad (she told me this), finding that that's where the horrible smell was coming from. It literally stank even the stairs up. Glad she didn't tell me whilst I was eating, gross... :mad: Then I thought no wonder she doesn't come in at times due to period even, everyday she has an excuse for feeling ill.

Anyone know anyone else who doesn't shower when on their period? Nonsensical to say the least...:s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

So sitting in a nappy of your own blood is okay, but having it go on you when you shower is disgusting? LOL wat.
Reply 2
I can only speak for myself, but I tend to shower more often than usual when I have my period. :dontknow:
Reply 3
thats disgusting, u need 2 wash more when ur on, or youll smell.
ive heard of some asian cultural attitudes that women are unhygenic when on their period. but not washing is definatly unhygneic.
ugh
Reply 4
I've never heard something like that before but I think there's an old wives tale or something which says you
shouldn't wash or you shouldn't wash your hair whilst you're on your period.

I always shower twice a day when I have mine and I couldn't imagine not doing to be honest :bath:
Reply 5
ok im a muslim girl and i shower twice a day ESPECIALLY on my period! what nonsense it has nothing to do with islam, shes just a filthy piece of ****..
Reply 6
Original post by lil huni
I can only speak for myself, but I tend to shower more often than usual when I have my period. :dontknow:

You speak for me too love, that chick is just naassstttyyy

:bath: >>>______________
I always shower when I'm on my beeriod.
Not sure this is a cultural thing cos I'm Asian and none of my family (to my knowledge) are like that...
Reply 9
What?

A sad troll to be honest and most people are eating this up, Muslim women are not restricted on when they can or cannot shower.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ewww thats gross!!
I'm muslim and I still shower and so do all of my muslim friends, first time I heard this.
Also muslim girls are expected to wash more seeing they do instinja every time they use the toilet.
That is truly disgusting.

How is it disgusting washing when you're on your period? Not to be crude here, but it isn't hard rinsing out your shower sponges/flannels and cleaning the bath out when you've finished using it.
I don't find I notice myself bleeding (Unless I'm on a blobby eurgh day) in the shower. If I get my undies on straight away afterwards, I get no mess.
That's vile though, especially as your hair & skin goes really oily when on, through the hormonal outbreak.
Eww!
I can't imagine not showering for 8 days. My hair would be so greasy.

This girl is weird!
Reply 14
0_o Hosepipe her.
Reply 15
Lol. Muslims don't do that, it must be a cultural thing. Either way it's gross. It doesnt even go on you, I find that once I step into the shower it stops, lol, I didnt know how to rephrase that but yeah,no more blood comes out in the duration of the entire shower/bath, I thought it was the same for everyone.
her excuse is the blood will go everywhere? it's called using a tampon.
Personally, I can't do a full wash when I'm on my period. I've tried before and the blood ended up dripping down my leg. Not pleasant.
Reply 18
Original post by kimprovising
So sitting in a nappy of your own blood is okay, but having it go on you when you shower is disgusting? LOL wat.

Yea, I try to ignore most people from my poor chavvy area/ people from my ****ty high school who aren't educated and are full of stupid crap. She's falls in both criterion unfortunately, my girl's highschool that I went to and area...

I'm not a practising Hindu at all nor that cultural. The way am brought up at home is v. liberal, Western approach. She's Muslim Pakistani, 22 and most people in my high school/ crap area are like that. So it is like being on a different planet. I felt woozy, sick thinking about how this is even possible, to not wash for that long, let along when not on period. I wash once a day in the morning, wash hair every 3/4 days. When on period, make sure to thoroughly wash myself longer, each time using toilet paper/ changing pad use tissues and wet wons properly.

I looked at her fingers and she had chewed them, even the skin on all her fingers including nails was gone, I told her wtf that's gross?! Your skin is hanging, she said she likes chewing on her finger skin. :s-smilie: I put two and two together, from her not washing when on period and thought, well I can't imagine the amount of germs on you. She's always claiming to be sick practically everyday, takes sickies loads and is always late. I'm going to stop sharing food with her, freaks me out how many more people do this though too. Ew!

Dad said that's ****ing gross. He said though that in our religion/ culture, the woman are seen as inferior though when on period etc. He said our religious isn't AS silly as Islam but some parts are as with most religions, if you really read into religious books but they're old fashioned. Even Mum was like, don't listen to stupid people who come out with crap, that's gross but just leave it be and don't pay attention to that sort of dumbness.
Reply 19
So grim. Makes no sense whatsoever. Good luck to her future husband putting up with that ****.

Latest