The Student Room Group

NCS students

I want to apply to the NCS(Newham Sixth Form Collegiate). I know that you have to do a personal statement and get the grades. I want to know if they do interviews as well as having people write personal statements or do they just use the personal statement?

Scroll to see replies

They don't do interviews, even before the pandemic, (from what my teachers told me when I was in secondary school last year). But try verify this and email them (but they might not reply lol because they never do).
Reply 2
They don't do interviews. You get an offer sometime after March and given the grades, you can enroll on the day.
Is there any good tips for personal statement to apply for NCS?
Reply 4
They have them all on their website: http://thencs.co.uk/2020/12/10/applying-to-newham-collegiate-sixth-form-centre-the-ncs-top-tips/

My tips would be to be yourself, show what your interests are, and why you are different to other applicants.
Original post by .Umar.
They have them all on their website: http://thencs.co.uk/2020/12/10/applying-to-newham-collegiate-sixth-form-centre-the-ncs-top-tips/

My tips would be to be yourself, show what your interests are, and why you are different to other applicants.

Has anyone heard anything from them yet? Btw what’s their percentage of A-A* grades?
Reply 6
Hi, I’m currently a year 11 student looking to apply to ncs. Does anyone who goes there know if PE is compulsory?
Reply 7
Original post by Sojukee
Hi, I’m currently a year 11 student looking to apply to ncs. Does anyone who goes there know if PE is compulsory?

I dont think they offer PE
Reply 8
Original post by kk15405
I dont think they offer PE

They don’t, but for most sixth forms I’ve looked at like Brampton, it says there’s a scheduled activity on Wednesdays
Reply 9
Original post by Sojukee
They don’t, but for most sixth forms I’ve looked at like Brampton, it says there’s a scheduled activity on Wednesdays

I'm pretty sure I remember someone telling me Brampton has a netball team
Reply 10
Original post by Sojukee

hey, pe isn't compulsory. they do offer sports clubs that you can go to at the leisure centre nearby but it's afterschool and not compulsory, hope that helps :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by v_k.926
hey, pe isn't compulsory. they do offer sports clubs that you can go to at the leisure centre nearby but it's afterschool and not compulsory, hope that helps :smile:

Omg thank you! I never wanted to do pe again but looking on the website mentioned something about a Wednesday activity so that made me wonder if it was compulsory
Reply 12
no worries! I think the Wednesday activity thing might be for lae? we don't do pe at all here but of course, there are clubs available that you can partake in, in your own time. lmk if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by v_k.926
no worries! I think the Wednesday activity thing might be for lae? we don't do pe at all here but of course, there are clubs available that you can partake in, in your own time. lmk if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help :smile:

I believe they're mistaking the wednesday activity thing for brampton - lae have different scheduled activities on different days.
Reply 14
Original post by AbduGT
I believe they're mistaking the wednesday activity thing for brampton - lae have different scheduled activities on different days.

ohh okay
Reply 15
Original post by AbduGT

I was thinking of lae and Brampton because they both have compulsory sports but I know they’re on different days. Nice to know ncs doesn’t ☺️
Reply 16
Hey i’m applying this year, does anyone know how big class sizes are/ how big the common room is/ if there’s lockers? I attended open day but they didn’t mention anything like that.
Reply 17
Original post by v_k.926

Hi, what’s the sixth form like? i’m applying this year and i have lots of questions.

how big are the class sizes/ what is the common room like (does it have common room)/ what is the mobile phone policy like/ how easy was it to make friends/ what’s the atmosphere and teachers like/ are there lockers? i attended open day and was still very confused.

I’ve heard it’s a good sixth form and I’m currently doing my application so I was wondering if you could help enlighten me on what the sixthform is like 😅 thankyou so much!!!
hey, personally i really like it because they provide you with a lot of opportunities and talks specific to whatever subject you want to pursue at university; they also encourage students to look into other pathways too like gap years and apprenticeships, and provide whatever support they can with that too. the teaching's pretty good and as far as I know, the departments are quite organised so it's easy to access resources for your own revision.

class sizes depend on the subject - if you're looking at subjects like maths or chemistry which are more popular, there's usually 25ish students in Year 12 and this gets a bit smaller as people drop subjects. for other less popular subjects, i think the class sizes are small (15-20) - depends on the subject though.

we don't have a common room but there is a canteen where people can hang out at lunch. a lot of people end up going out for lunch though because there's quite a few places to eat near the school.

phones aren't allowed in the main building so a lot of people just go outside the building to use their phones at break; you can use your phones in the canteen at lunch though.

it's quite easy to make friends because everyone's new and on the same boat - as long as you're open to talking to new people, you'll find it easy. also you end up seeing a lot of the same people everyday because you have the same classes everyday so it can be easy to get to know people from your classes too.

atmosphere - it's not as strict as people think. the teachers are generally pretty friendly and you can ask them as many questions as you'd like (in fact, they encourage you to). and nope, we don't have lockers because a lot of the stuff we do is digital anyways cos a lot of people take notes and do their homework on the ipads which the school give us.

hope that helps!
Reply 19
Original post by v_k.926
hey, personally i really like it because they provide you with a lot of opportunities and talks specific to whatever subject you want to pursue at university; they also encourage students to look into other pathways too like gap years and apprenticeships, and provide whatever support they can with that too. the teaching's pretty good and as far as I know, the departments are quite organised so it's easy to access resources for your own revision.

class sizes depend on the subject - if you're looking at subjects like maths or chemistry which are more popular, there's usually 25ish students in Year 12 and this gets a bit smaller as people drop subjects. for other less popular subjects, i think the class sizes are small (15-20) - depends on the subject though.

we don't have a common room but there is a canteen where people can hang out at lunch. a lot of people end up going out for lunch though because there's quite a few places to eat near the school.

phones aren't allowed in the main building so a lot of people just go outside the building to use their phones at break; you can use your phones in the canteen at lunch though.

it's quite easy to make friends because everyone's new and on the same boat - as long as you're open to talking to new people, you'll find it easy. also you end up seeing a lot of the same people everyday because you have the same classes everyday so it can be easy to get to know people from your classes too.

atmosphere - it's not as strict as people think. the teachers are generally pretty friendly and you can ask them as many questions as you'd like (in fact, they encourage you to). and nope, we don't have lockers because a lot of the stuff we do is digital anyways cos a lot of people take notes and do their homework on the ipads which the school give us.

hope that helps!

this is so helpful thank you!
i'm struggling between Brampton Manor and NCS because i didn't get to go to the open days but i had some questions if its okay : )

1) because you get asked to take 4 a levels (i chose bio chem maths and geography), would i be able to drop geography before year 13? like is that an option available to everyone at NCS?
2) also which would you recommend between brampton and ncs?
3) how does enrolment work? as in the process?
4) what does a day at NCS look like? do you get free study sessions or is it all solid lessons? what are lessons like? (as in are they like secondary school lessons or is it more they talk at you and you have to rely on yourself to take notes and find work to do?)
5) are there actually assemblies in the middle of the day? and is the day really long?
6) what is the 'intervention/enrichment' on the timetable on the website for period 6?
7) how often do you have mocks/tests?
thank you so so much and sorry there are so many questions! 😅
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending