Is anyone else in the word doing MATHEMATICS AND PHILOSOPHY?! GV15

I have applied to:

York
Lancaster
Nottingham
Birmingham
Liverpool

With only an offer from Liverpool so far of ABB

But i can't seem to find anyone else in the world applying for this course ... is anyone out there doing it too?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes me i am!! I applied to nottingham, manchester, birmingham, bristol and leeds. I only have an offer from nottingham so far for aaa/a*ab. And sent my app off on tge 21 st oct. Getting frustrated waiting!! Let me know if u get anymore offers plz!!
what a quality mix haha. I honestly love philosophy and maths is great for employment best of luck.
i'm surprised it's not just me applying for this course, this is the first i've heard of others doing it lol.
i've applied to : oxford, nottingham, sheffield, leeds and birmingham. got offers from :nott (aaa/a*ab), sheff (aab) and birmingham (abb).

I am really excited about starting my degree, why do others here choose to go for maths and phil?
Reply 4
Omg when did uget ur offer from bham? And when did u send it off?! Im really scared now
Reply 5
I heard Bertrand Russell came back from the dead, and has been summoning a host of zombies to his cause. His retinue is believed to include Wittgenstein and Frege. Wittgenstein is said to be particularly pissed off. Just a word of caution for those seeking to study maths and philosophy.
Original post by Raiden10
I heard Bertrand Russell came back from the dead, and has been summoning a host of zombies to his cause. His retinue is believed to include Wittgenstein and Frege. Wittgenstein is said to be particularly pissed off. Just a word of caution for those seeking to study maths and philosophy.

none of this meant a single thing to me...
Original post by tammie94
I'm confused, how exactly do those two subjects go together? :confused:

Very well, as a matter of fact. Similar types of thinking and reasoning.
Reply 8
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
none of this meant a single thing to me...

Don't worry was just a joke.
I'm confused, how exactly do those two subjects go together? :confused:

there are tons and tons of books relating the two disciplines.

I read up a bit of it and there indeed are links.
Don't worry was just a joke.

lol, sorry for ruining it
Reply 11
Original post by House Dagoth
there are tons and tons of books relating the two disciplines.

I read up a bit of it and there indeed are links.

But what are these links? I really don't see it.
Reply 12
But what are these links? I really don't see it.

It's probably true that around the time Godel's theorem was proved, mathematics and philosophy seemed extremely closed linked.

But these close links are, somewhat, in the past, they aren't as strong today. The prevailing attitude is more about just getting on with it. It's hard at the moment to imagine (as in, conceive) another result as philosophically interpretable and accessible as Godel's will ever be proved.

If mathematicians are to adopt a more philosophical attitude, it would probably take a mathematical result like those Harvey Friedman is trying to prove, results that use Godel's theorem, but that are concrete enough to scare mathematicians.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Any more offers gv15 people?
Reply 14
I've applied to Oxford for Maths & Philosophy, and am reading trough prospectusses for which other unis I'll apply to.
Did you get offers? What do you think is important to prepare for the interview?
ME TOO (: Finally a thread on this (:
applied to St Andrews, Bristol, Kings college, Exeter (flexi combined) and York, so far only heard from York AAB.

loool, not many people will get this

Edit: I'm doing Econ/philosophy, so not farrrr off
more philosobros :smile:

straight philosophy here but maths or physics accompany it really well, especially if you're after a wider array of employment/postgrad options. i'd probably go phys-phil if i had taken the science route after high school.
WOOO! Finally found you guys, I felt so alone :smile: Havn't found anyone doing GV15 yet

I'm applying to these universities for GV15 (order of preference)

Lancaster (Pointless letter)
York (Acknowledgment)
Liverpool (Offer: ABB)

Also applying to Lancaster and Essex for straight Philosophy V500
I am, applied for Nottingham, Birmingham and Sheffield :biggrin:
really worried about the grades so my other choices are just plain maths at reading and kent :smile:
have an offer from Notts (my first choice, YAY!) and Kent, anybody heard anything about a notts open day?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest