The Student Room Group

How competitive is Physics at Nottingham University?

Basically as the title says. :P

I'm probably going to be doing maths, further maths and physics A2; hoping for A*A*A but I could possibly get AAA. Possibly b at chemistry as level. Only got 5A*s at GCSE. And I'm currently doing some GCSE maths mentoring and reading physics books and I have a part time job... how hard would it be to get in
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by drewb

I'm probably going to be doing maths, further maths and physics A2; hoping for A*A*A but I could possibly get AAA. Possibly b at chemistry as level. Only got 5A*s at GCSE. And I'm currently doing some GCSE maths mentoring and reading physics books and I have a part time job... how hard would it be to get in

I've only looked at some courses for Physics at Nottingham and they ask around AAA-AAB. If your do well in AS and on course to get the grades you're hoping for then set your sights on Oxbridge not Nottingham.
Original post by drewb

I emailed them a couple of months ago and last year they gave offers to 76% of applicants, so not that competitive.
Reply 3
I got an offer from Nottingham last week to study MSci Physics (2012 entry). I have 1 A* at GCSE and 10As. 4 As at AS and predicted A*A*A a at A2. Your grades look the same, maybe slightly better than mine so I wouldn't worry too much. I also have an offer from Warwick and King's College, waiting to hear from Oxford and Lancaster. If I were you I'd definitely be applying for Oxbridge as well. Best advice I can give you is don't do a load of extra stuff thinking it will improve your chances of getting an offer when your chances are very good already. Just focus on getting as many A*/As as you can in your 3/4 subjects and that will be enough.
Can someone tell me what the application process is like for physics at nottingham? Like do they do interviews? I've applied for 2015 entry and am waiting to hear back. Thankyou!!
I've applied and I got a letter through the post saying that I have an offer. They don't do interviews. When did you apply?
Original post by TurtleFlute
I've applied and I got a letter through the post saying that I have an offer. They don't do interviews. When did you apply?

I have an offer now! A*AA, how about you? I did my a levels last year and got A*AB so I am retaking a module in June. I was hoping for an unconditional tbh as I told them in my personal statement I was retaking and also I'm taking an extra a level in further maths this year but ah well :P
Reply 7
I clicked on this link by accident looking for past papers. I am currently in second year of an MSci Physics degree at Nottingham. My offer was AAA, I got AAB and they let me in anyway. I know people who got AAC and ABB and still got in, although they all are either female or an ethnic minority, they pretend that's not a thing but it is definitely a thing.

You'll get in. It'll be fine. You could almost definitely get into a higher ranked one if you wanted, especially since most of them take people much lower than they say they will when the results come out, Manchester asked for A*A*A the year I was applying, they took people at ABB. But it doesn't really matter much. I came here because a) it's nice and green and there's trees/lake and stuff and b) the staff were really nice and helpful on the open days. If you go to one of the original Russell group ones it's all basically the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending